Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70759 times)

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #350: April 11, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
There is a fluidity and repeatability to Bradley's mechanics. It does not look like he is exerting too much effort in the motion.

Some guys have more violent or jerky mechanics or they are not easily repeatable. Those pitchers tend to be the ones that get hurt more

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #351: April 11, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
His motion is smooooooth. I like him.

Thanks for the insight, Brian.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #352: April 11, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
yeah thanks for that insight.

i'd be on board for a bradley selection.  he seems somewhat similar to solis as a big lefty who throws in the low nineties and can probably sustain that for 7 or 8 innings each start.  not a bad thing at all.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #353: April 11, 2011, 10:50:43 AM »
I wouldn't mind Bradley at all.  Left handed pitcher with a lower 90s fastball and excellent changeup.  Mechanics are smooth as others have noted.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #354: April 11, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
I'll be more intrigued with what they do with their later picks. This could very well be the last year of a draft where a team can get guys who slide due to college commitments/salary demands.

I'd hope the Nationals have read the tea leaves and know whether hard slotting is a likelihood in the next CBA. If that's what is going to happen, they need to grab as many signability guys this year and get them under contract.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #355: April 11, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
brian - have you heard anything about the other bradley - the center fielder?

that spot has been a mess for years.  having someone with low bust potential who can contribute there relatively quickly would be nice.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #356: April 11, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »

that spot has been a mess for years.  having someone with low bust potential who can contribute there relatively quickly would be nice.

JB Jr could be an interesting option with the 2nd first round pick

I still believe the Nationals best hopes of establishing a CF pipeline is the international route. There are only so many premium CFs that get drafted each season.

The Latin American kids seem to be better chance of quality from quantity.

The other option is to look for HS shortstops that may play better as CFs

Offline RD

« Reply #357: April 11, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »
I think Bradley has passed Hultzen and Purke on quite a few boards. The next month or so will decide between the two who goes first.

Grabbing a lefty that can be a frontline guy for us Im sure is a priority for the organization. Someone to slot in between Strasburg and Zimmermann from the left side would be fantastic. I haven't given up on Purke yet, but unless he starts cranking out 7/8 inning games like everyone else, he's done as a top ten guy. Maybe he's a gamble at 23 to go big this year in hopes we can sign him, but he probably heads back for his junior season unless he turns it on now.

So Ive been warming up to Hultzen and Bradley. Still think Gray's power stuff is better, and has the better upside, but the lefties are legit in their own right.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #358: April 11, 2011, 11:12:31 AM »
I think the Nats would be happy if any one of the three (Hultzen, Bradley, Gray) are there at #6. It seems that after Cole & Rendon, it becomes a real crap-shoot of who is linked to who

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #359: April 11, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »
Jed Bradley got rocked this past weekend: 4.2 IP 8 H 7 R 7 ER 2 BB 5 K

I'd rather have Hultzen. He was dominant again this weekend. 8 IP 7 H 2 R 1 ER 1 BB 12 K.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #360: April 11, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
Trevor Bauer with this fine line this past weekend: 9 IP 6 H 3 R 3 ER 2 BB 15 K. Improves to 6-1 with a 1.67 ERA on the season.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #361: April 11, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »
Brian - your note about JBJr was interesting.  Is he not looked at as being on the same level as the big power pitchers?  He strikes me as being not particularly toolsy - not the traditional speed/power outfielder often taken at the top of the draft - but pretty good tools across the board.  Good understanding of the strikezone, decent power, decent speed.  Don't know a ton about his defense but if it's good enough to stick in CF, that to me is pretty valuable.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #362: April 11, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »

I'd rather have Hultzen. He was dominant again this weekend. 8 IP 7 H 2 R 1 ER 1 BB 12 K.

UVA has killer starters. Their mid-week starter, Will Roberts is 6-0 with a 0.96 ERA, and a 47/3 K/BB.

Hultzen is 7-0 with 1.33 ERA and a 90/10 K/BB.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #363: April 11, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

As I mentioned, I believe Hultzen will be off the board before #6, that's why I brought up Bradley

It's also one start. Every pitcher has a clunker here and there. David Price got knocked around by Kentucky in one start in 2007.

I do think that Hultzen is nose ahead of Bradley

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #364: April 12, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »

We should have drafted Brett Eibner last year instead of Sammy Solis.... Brett Eibner as a junior tied for second in the SEC in home runs with 22, hit .333 with an OBP around .450, and would have had even gaudier stats if not for the fact he was a weekend starter at pitcher. Oh yeah, he also was a plus glove in CF and I think he either was 2nd team All-SEC defensively or atleast an honorable mention. He would have been drafted higher but his whole life coaches have tried to put his 95 MPH fast ball at pitcher. Imagine if the guy spent his whole life practicing hitting instead of pitching.

The Royals drafted him a couple picks after we took Solis and flat out said he's a hitter.

Now he is currently the #10 prospect in the ROYALS organization, is getting rave reviews as maybe the best athlete in their system, and homered in his first professional at bat. Should be majors ready soon, but he may be blocked early in that system.

Good job Nationals!!!  :clap:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #365: April 12, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »
Wanted the Rizzo special.

Sinkerballer that doesn't strike out hitters.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #366: April 12, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
Wanted the Rizzo special.

Sinkerballer that doesn't strike out hitters.

Exactly.  Or position players that don't hit.

Offline RD

« Reply #367: April 12, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
Really? You're going to ridicule the pick before even a week of the season passes?

And ignore that 29 other teams also passed on Eibner at least one time around?

Solis was a solid pick. For talent, and for perceived value. Pitching is always valued over an OF, if they carry similar value. Which these two certainly did.

Solis was a solid addition to our organization.   

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #368: April 12, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
Really? You're going to ridicule the pick before even a week of the season passes?

And ignore that 29 other teams also passed on Eibner at least one time around?

Solis was a solid pick. For talent, and for perceived value. Pitching is always valued over an OF, if they carry similar value. Which these two certainly did.

Solis was a solid addition to our organization.   

Solis missed an entire year with a back injury and wasn't striking anyone out in AFL ball either. Now he's back on the DL for what could be quite a long time.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #369: April 12, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
You're blaming this on injury? Who can honestly predict that? A recurring back injury- nobody REALLY expects any recurring injury. It's possible the Nats valued Solis higher- it's likely, in fact. It's not even as if they were both hitters- the Nats opted for pitching and rightfully viewed Solis a better pitcher than Eibner.

Also, tiny sample size.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #370: April 12, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »
You're blaming this on injury? Who can honestly predict that? A recurring back injury- nobody REALLY expects any recurring injury. It's possible the Nats valued Solis higher- it's likely, in fact. It's not even as if they were both hitters- the Nats opted for pitching and rightfully viewed Solis a better pitcher than Eibner.

Also, tiny sample size.

Actually, he has disc problems. Those never go away, they knew it when they drafted him.

Offline RD

« Reply #371: April 12, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
Am I missing something?

He's out with a groin/quad injury(can't remember which), right?  His back injury two years ago has nothing to do with it.

Solis will be fine.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #372: April 12, 2011, 10:29:34 PM »
Actually, he has disc problems. Those never go away, they knew it when they drafted him.

Fair point.

Regardless, however- if they deemed the injury not to be tremendously serious (suspect, yes, but if they picked him they would have to...) and they valued him higher at the time than Eibner, they were absolutely right to pick him. Even if he busts. You can't criticize the Browns for taking Couch just because McNabb was good and Couch wasn't- doesn't mean Couch wasn't a bust, and a big one at that, but it does mean that the scouts guessed wrong. And in baseball, like with quarterbacks, that's what it is- guessing.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #373: April 13, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
Am I missing something?

He's out with a groin/quad injury(can't remember which), right?  His back injury two years ago has nothing to do with it.

Solis will be fine.

The back injury is still there, though. He probably just deals with it.

Offline RD

« Reply #374: April 13, 2011, 12:27:39 AM »
So now we're just going to assume his back hurts all the time?

Interesting take.

The negativity around here never ceases to amaze me. It gets downright ridiculous at times.

Im not going to say he never gets hurt again, or that his back won't ever bother him again. However, he did have a comprehensive physical and he checked out well enough for us to give him a million bucks. That's good enough for me to think he's good to go right now and that it isn't going to hinder him going forward much.

Ill say it again, since it apparently bares repeating around here - Solis was a solid pickup. Im not claiming he was a steal or anything of the sort. He went right in the range he was suppose to go, and he has a legitimate future in a big league rotation. Soon. And he's left handed. Hard to argue it was a quality pick, no matter how good people behind him were.