Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 309793 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #125: July 31, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
No it's not.

Jeez even McCarver knows what OBP is.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #126: July 31, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
Span > Bourn.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #127: July 31, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »
Storen >>> Span > Bourn :hammer:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #128: July 31, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
Storen + Bernadina + Lomboardozzi > Span

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #129: July 31, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
Logan > Watson > Span > Bourn > Storen

Offline Bloo

« Reply #130: July 31, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
Nyjer Morgan + Lastings Milledge= half a brain.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #131: July 31, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
LOL

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #132: July 31, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
:lmao:

you know S37 has you on ignore. lol

I'm really mad that Rizzo didn't get what his priority target was. Now we have to continue the season without one. I mean, this was a great chance to get one since people wanted pieces to make a run for the playoffs so I doubt we get anything related to a CF leadoff hitter in the offseason... great.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #133: July 31, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »
I doubt we get anything related to a CF leadoff hitter in the offseason... great.

Hey now, we've still got a chance to sign Coco Crisp to an eight year $120m contract....

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #134: July 31, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
Hey now, we've still got a chance to sign Coco Crisp to an eight year $120m contract....

oooooo!!!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #135: July 31, 2011, 08:26:56 PM »
Both Span and Upton could still be available this off-season. Upton should be a bit cheaper.

I wish we had gotten Bourn. That deal really shouldn't have been hard to beat.

Offline NatsSince05

« Reply #136: July 31, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
Re-posting here:

Rizzo deserves credit for not dealing Drew Storen for Denard Span.  I was against this from the beginning and while I'm sure the impulse to make this deal was there, I'm glad cooler heads prevailed.  The risk, a player who many, including me, view to be a cornerstone of the franchise, did not outweigh the reward, which was an above-average outfielder who is coming off the DL after a head/brain injury.

What Rizzo deserves blame and/or scorn for is the total lack of results at the trading deadline.  In focusing in on Span, we saw the Braves acquire Michael Bourn at a price that our organization certainly could have exceeded.  We acquired Jonny Gomes, a .211 hitter at the time of the trade, for two minor league players having great seasons.  We traded away Jason Marquis in a deal that most feel was surprisingly one-sided given what seemed to be genuine demand for Marquis around baseball.  Our only other trade, Jerry Hairston Jr. to the Brewers, was fine, although relatively inconsequential in the big picture.

Our biggest off-season moves, signing Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche, failed to ignite our offense.  At some point, after so many missed opportunities, a gutsy journalist or blogger has to cut through the GM's public relations campaign and ask him when we're actually going to bring in a productive player or two.

Offline blue911

« Reply #137: July 31, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
Both Span and Upton could still be available this off-season. Upton should be a bit cheaper.

I wish we had gotten Bourn. That deal really shouldn't have been hard to beat.

We don't have a 22 year old lefty that's putting up the numbers like Oberholtzer.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #138: July 31, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »
We don't have a 22 year old lefty that's putting up the numbers like Oberholtzer.

I also think the Nationals were looking for a longer term solution at CF. Not just a guy signed through 2012.

Offline blue911

« Reply #139: July 31, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
I also think the Nationals were looking for a longer term solution at CF. Not just a guy signed through 2012.

I get the feeling that Bourn would prefer to play in Houston. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he is back there in 2013

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #140: July 31, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
We traded away Jason Marquis in a deal that most feel was surprisingly one-sided given what seemed to be genuine demand for Marquis around baseball. 

Who, what, when, where?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #141: July 31, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
Who, what, when, where?

Nyan, nyan, nyan, and nyan.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #142: July 31, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
Who, what, when, where?

Please don't quote posts that make no sense.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #143: July 31, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
At some point, after so many missed opportunities, a gutsy journalist or blogger has to cut through the GM's public relations campaign and ask him when we're actually going to bring in a productive player or two.

With the press passes and the MASN blogger days, it seems like the blogger crowd has gone corporate.  Capitol Punishment and FJB have been the two most critical blogs and one of them is dead and the other is on life support.  Maybe you should start up FMZ.com.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #144: July 31, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
oooooo!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

I love Barney. I love the fact that when I say Barney, I don't think of a purple dinosaur anymore

Re-posting here:

Rizzo deserves credit for not dealing Drew Storen for Denard Span.  I was against this from the beginning and while I'm sure the impulse to make this deal was there, I'm glad cooler heads prevailed.  The risk, a player who many, including me, view to be a cornerstone of the franchise, did not outweigh the reward, which was an above-average outfielder who is coming off the DL after a head/brain injury.

What Rizzo deserves blame and/or scorn for is the total lack of results at the trading deadline.  In focusing in on Span, we saw the Braves acquire Michael Bourn at a price that our organization certainly could have exceeded.  We acquired Jonny Gomes, a .211 hitter at the time of the trade, for two minor league players having great seasons.  We traded away Jason Marquis in a deal that most feel was surprisingly one-sided given what seemed to be genuine demand for Marquis around baseball.  Our only other trade, Jerry Hairston Jr. to the Brewers, was fine, although relatively inconsequential in the big picture.

Our biggest off-season moves, signing Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche, failed to ignite our offense.  At some point, after so many missed opportunities, a gutsy journalist or blogger has to cut through the GM's public relations campaign and ask him when we're actually going to bring in a productive player or two.

We've already proven how overrated Storen is to a lot of posters here. Today's game highlights it. He's average to above average. In retrospect, this draft pick was a reach. He probably would have been there in the second round. Could have had Mike Trout! :eek:

You could not be more wrong about Marquis. I'm astonished that we got a prospect and another team to eat his salary. The guy was miserable against the American League. He had to go to a NL team. On top of that, he has minimal playoff experience. He's a number four or five starter. He won't pitch in the post season except, maybe, in relief. We got something for him. We got something for a guy who was off the team come October. Good work.

Werth has not panned out and there's no way around that. He was never going to live up to his contract, but no one expected him to do this poorly. The last ten games however, he's been on a tear. Hitting over .300, crushing the ball, and driving in runs. He's on the way back. Too early to call it a failure.

Laroche was hurt. LaRoche is usually a .260-.270 hitter with 20+ homers and 80-100 RBIs. Oh, and his glove is top 5 among first basemen. I don't think its fair to call him a bust just yet. The fact is that the team should have told him to get the surgery as soon as they found out he had a tear. 

He put up those numbers in Double A. We had a 24 year old lefty who was putting up better numbers in Triple A. Rizzo got tunnel vision and forgot about Bourn. The Braves moved in and made a move. Paul Clemens is 23 and has a 1.3+ WHIP in Double A.

Bernadina, Milone and a couple other Double A prospects should have gotten us Bourn. The deal could have been done. It should have.

Offline blue911

« Reply #145: July 31, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
He put up those numbers in Double A. We had a 24 year old lefty who was putting up better numbers in Triple A. Rizzo got tunnel vision and forgot about Bourn. The Braves moved in and made a move. Paul Clemens is 23 and has a 1.3+ WHIP in Double A.

Bernadina, Milone and a couple other Double A prospects should have gotten us Bourn. The deal could have been done. It should have.

Read what BA says about the Braves prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/trade-central/2011/2612172.html

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #146: July 31, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
I love Barney. I love the fact that when I say Barney, I don't think of a purple dinosaur anymore

We've already proven how overrated Storen is to a lot of posters here. Today's game highlights it. He's average to above average. In retrospect, this draft pick was a reach. He probably would have been there in the second round. Could have had Mike Trout! :eek:

You could not be more wrong about Marquis. I'm astonished that we got a prospect and another team to eat his salary. The guy was miserable against the American League. He had to go to a NL team. On top of that, he has minimal playoff experience. He's a number four or five starter. He won't pitch in the post season except, maybe, in relief. We got something for him. We got something for a guy who was off the team come October. Good work.

Werth has not panned out and there's no way around that. He was never going to live up to his contract, but no one expected him to do this poorly. The last ten games however, he's been on a tear. Hitting over .300, crushing the ball, and driving in runs. He's on the way back. Too early to call it a failure.

Laroche was hurt. LaRoche is usually a .260-.270 hitter with 20+ homers and 80-100 RBIs. Oh, and his glove is top 5 among first basemen. I don't think its fair to call him a bust just yet. The fact is that the team should have told him to get the surgery as soon as they found out he had a tear. 

:clap: at the middle part.

@ the last part, i've been hearing that but i don't buy it. i don't think we know enough on the bourn front.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #147: July 31, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Read what BA says about the Braves prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/trade-central/2011/2612172.html

To me, it says Milone was better.

:clap: at the middle part.

@ the last part, i've been hearing that but i don't buy it. i don't think we know enough on the bourn front.
You may be right. Just weird ... kind of disappointing. I think the next two years we're going to be kicking ourselves for not getting the guy who is leading off for the Braves.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #148: August 01, 2011, 12:00:25 AM »
Something doesn't add up, which is why I don't jump to conclusions with the tunnel vision thing. Several things could have happened - talks could have broken down, maybe Wade had a particular affinity for the Braves prospects he got, maybe he undervalued our guys who we believe are equal to the Braves guys and wanted considerably more, etc.

Offline RD

« Reply #149: August 01, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
Considering we were suppose to be in on Bourn, the trade they settled on, clearly says they asked for way too much in preliminary conversations. Im sure we kept an eye on things, but certainly at a distance. They settled on a terrible package for Bourn.

We can't blame Rizzo for what other teams wouldn;t agree to. He made a GREAT decision to not trade Storen. It was hard enough to swallow as a 1 for 1 swap, but all the talk was a multiple for one swap, including a legit prospect. That is a terrible trade for us, and Rizzo deserves credit for not making a move.

Great trade for Marquis. Great trade for Hairston. Eh, trade for Gomes. The only negative was not trading Coffe, but we wouldn't have gotten anything but a 25 year old in A ball anyway, so thats not enough to really cause a stir.