Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 311029 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #50: December 03, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
We would lose our second round pick.

Ok, still come out ahead though.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #51: December 03, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
After Rizzo was outed by Dunn to be full of crap... I'm kind of in the 'Fire Rizzo' camp.

What a piece of crap for lying to us about the fact that he was trying to work it out with Dunn. freaker never even contacted him once after the season was over.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #52: December 03, 2010, 05:20:24 PM »
What a piece of crap for lying to us about the fact that he was trying to work it out with Dunn. freaker never even contacted him once after the season was over.

Maybe instead of contacting Dunn, he contacted Dunn's agent.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #53: December 03, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Maybe instead of contacting Dunn, he contacted Dunn's agent.

I don't know why Dunn would say the whole 'as far as I know we had no contact' line if he didn't mean his entire camp.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #54: December 03, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »
I never assume that anyone in business is telling the whole truth. People say whatever is convenient without leaving themselves liable to be proven to have lied.

Rizzo leaked enough stories, through Ladson, for instance, to make it clear that he wanted to drop Dunn, and to explain that he wanted  a better fielder at 1B.

Looking back, that is just what Rizzo did. No real surprise. (Foolish move, yes, of course.)

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #55: December 03, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
I would give Rizzo 2 more years and if the team isn't over .500 by then, give him the axe.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #56: December 03, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
Why would he say "as far as I know". Why wouldn't he know?  (Where did he say all this, anyway?)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #57: December 03, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »
Why would he say "as far as I know". Why wouldn't he know?  (Where did he say all this, anyway?)

By the last week of the season, the Nationals had offered a three-year contract worth roughly $35 million. Dunn leaves negotiations to his agents, but he said as far he was aware, the Nationals never made a new offer. Asked how much contact he had with the Nationals between now and the end of the season, Dunn said, "I don't believe that there's been any."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/12/adam_dunn_on_nationals_fans_an.html

Offline Ray D

« Reply #58: December 03, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »

Rizzo leaked enough stories, through Ladson, for instance,

Leaked stories, hell, it's worse that that; Rizzo is now writing the pieces himself.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101202&content_id=16241798&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

"The Nats will spend their money wisely on the best and only the best."

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #59: December 03, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »
"Washington wants more than just offensive production and solid defense off the bench. The club wants reserves who will accept their roles."

Anyone care to explain this for me?  It makes no sense.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #60: December 03, 2010, 05:40:10 PM »
"Washington wants more than just offensive production and solid defense off the bench. The club wants reserves who will accept their roles."

Anyone care to explain this for me?  It makes no sense.
Shot at Kennedy/Morse? Dunno.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #61: December 03, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »

Anyone care to explain this for me?  It makes no sense.

Sounds like they don't want players to push themselves to be better and want players who will meekly accept playing once a week instead of trying to get into the lineup more (Kennedy, Gonzalez, Harris, Morse).

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #62: December 03, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
Sounds like they don't want players to push themselves to be better and want players who will meekly accept playing once a week instead of trying to get into the lineup more (Kennedy, Gonzalez, Harris, Morse).

So why did we release Kevin Mench again?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #63: December 03, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/12/adam_dunn_on_nationals_fans_an.html

Thanks.

Ok then somehow the White Sox offer should have been taken back to the Nationals.  True, the 35m offer was too little, but I'll bet that Rizzo thought he had more time.  Shame on him for assuming that, but shame on Dunn's camp for not giving Rizzo a chance to counter.   Rizzo wasn't going to match the offer, but he may have offered $42m over three years, and who knows, Dunn may have taken it, there are alot of factors and we don't know them all, he may well have turned it down, but he should have given Rizzo the chance to make a counter offer.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #64: December 03, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
Shot at Kennedy/Morse? Dunno.

Ha.

Had to be a shot at Morse.

How dare he tries to play his way off the bench! You stay in your role, scrub!

Offline PC

« Reply #65: December 03, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
According to Cot's Baseball Contracts, the Nationals' payroll in 2010 was $66.2 million. That may go up significantly...

No chance Ladson.   :roll:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #66: December 03, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »
As bad as it seems right now, I'll (TRY TO) wait until Opening Day to cast aspersions.  I will (albeit with a touch of cynicism) put my faith in Rizzo and see what moves he makes to offset the failure to re-sign Dunn.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #67: December 03, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
Thanks.

Ok then somehow the White Sox offer should have been taken back to the Nationals.  True, the 35m offer was too little, but I'll bet that Rizzo thought he had more time.  Shame on him for assuming that, but shame on Dunn's camp for not giving Rizzo a chance to counter.   Rizzo wasn't going to match the offer, but he may have offered $42m over three years, and who knows, Dunn may have taken it, there are alot of factors and we don't know them all, he may well have turned it down, but he should have given Rizzo the chance to make a counter offer.

Sorry but Rizzo had all year to neogtiate, and Dunn was up front about wanting a fourth year all along.

Online blue911

« Reply #68: December 03, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
Sorry but Rizzo had all year to neogtiate, and Dunn was up front about wanting a fourth year all along.

And if he couldn't get additional revenues out of ownership, what's the point of revisiting the standing offer? Offer to mow Dunn's lawn?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #69: December 03, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
I never heard about four years until around two weeks ago. He wasn't that specific, he wanted more than two. It was never really established that we had a three-year offer on the table, it's just been some assumption originally cited by Ladson that everyone else has been quoting. 
I don't think it is at all completely clear that four years was non-negotiable.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #70: December 03, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
I never heard about four years until around two weeks ago. He wasn't that specific, he wanted more than two. It was never really established that we had a three-year offer on the table, it's just been some assumption originally cited by Ladson that everyone else has been quoting. 
I don't think it is at all completely clear that four years was non-negotiable.
The 4 years was negotiable, but the Nats couldn't match the 3/57 offer that Dunn got from another team.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #71: December 03, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »
The 4 years was negotiable, but the Nats couldn't match the 3/57 offer that Dunn got from another team.
You're saying he got a 3/57 offer from some team, and he took a 4/57 deal?  That doesn't make sense.

« Reply #72: December 03, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
Fire the owners not Rizzo.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #73: December 03, 2010, 07:40:28 PM »

FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!

Offline PC

« Reply #74: December 03, 2010, 08:05:54 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard a FO say they expect backup players to be happy as backup players, particularly when the players ahead of them, generally aren't that good, in the first place.