Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 314982 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #4500: April 05, 2023, 07:20:43 PM »
The Nats have a 1085-1084 regular season record under Rizzo. He's about to be a losing GM.

It’s ok, I’m sure our farm is brimming with another Harper/Strasburg/Rendon

Online IanRubbish

« Reply #4501: April 05, 2023, 07:47:40 PM »
The Nats have a 1085-1084 regular season record under Rizzo. He's about to be a losing GM.

Rizzo has been a very good corporate citizen, which is why he’s lasted.  More than winning, he’s paid to be a PR front for cheap media shy ownership.  Just like Stan Kasten was.  A creative, but opinionated, GM would never work here.  Andrew Friedman or Billy Beane would never last with the Nats internal politics, even if their ideas could build cheap winners.  This ownership likes conventional thinking, not innovation like openers or unusual platoons that they don’t understand.  They understand spending as little as possible, and Rizzo understands he needs to cover that fact with PR about reboots and the farm, not with game altering strategies.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4502: May 25, 2023, 09:08:02 PM »
At the game today I asked Mark Lerner to get us some bats, he replied that we should "ask Mr. Rizzo", so it appears that ownership green lighted spending and the GM decided that it was better to tank another season.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4503: May 25, 2023, 10:09:23 PM »
LOL.  I’m sure he was being totally honest.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #4504: May 26, 2023, 11:06:26 AM »
At the game today I asked Mark Lerner to get us some bats, he replied that we should "ask Mr. Rizzo", so it appears that ownership green lighted spending and the GM decided that it was better to tank another season.

(Image removed from quote.)

You can’t possibly believe that lol

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4505: May 26, 2023, 11:07:55 AM »
I heard that Rizzo chirpped back "LAC"

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4506: May 26, 2023, 11:23:26 AM »
You can’t possibly believe that lol

Well the part about him responding that I'd have to "ask Mr. Rizzo" was true (wish I had video of the face he made while saying it), the rest was my speculation.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4507: May 26, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
Well the part about him responding that I'd have to "ask Mr. Rizzo" was true (wish I had video of the face he made while saying it), the rest was my speculation.
He wanted to say freak off peasant but is smarter than that!  Or be happy with your CHIP!

I met Ted Leonsis at my retirement luncheon as he was in the same restaurant. So many things I wanted to ask him but you’ll never get a straight response.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4508: May 26, 2023, 11:29:26 AM »
Funny thing is given the draft rules this would have been the year to sign a couple vets to short term deals and contend.  NL does not look strong this year. And then sell them at the deadline if you fall short. Then tank again in 2024 to get a top pick in 2025.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4509: May 26, 2023, 12:20:10 PM »
He wanted to say freak off peasant but is smarter than that!  Or be happy with your CHIP!

I met Ted Leonsis at my retirement luncheon as he was in the same restaurant. So many things I wanted to ask him but you’ll never get a straight response.

Leonsis does a lot of public speaking so he's used to not giving a straight answer, same with Rizzo. Lerner was really nice to stop and respond, I don't want to overstate a ten second interaction but it was not the response I expected.

I was asking for bats thinking about free agents next offseason. Thinking about it now I wonder if he was referring to Mr. Rizzo promoting some of the prospects at a faster pace.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4510: May 26, 2023, 01:35:16 PM »
Funny thing is given the draft rules this would have been the year to sign a couple vets to short term deals and contend.  NL does not look strong this year. And then sell them at the deadline if you fall short. Then tank again in 2024 to get a top pick in 2025.

In 25 save opportunities this year the Nats have blown 11 of them. Hunter 4, Edwards 2, Thompson 2, Finnegan 2 (with 10 saves), Ramirez 1.

Josh Hader has the highest percentage of saves in opportunities in MLB at 86%. Kyle Finnegan is second at 83%.

Let's say the Nats hadn't blown just 5 of those saves. They would be 26-24 and right in the thick of it. With the starting pitching they're getting, they could be in it if they hadn't blown so many save opportunities.

The following link does not include yesterday's blown save:

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb/blown-saves-stats-most-blown-saves-teams-players-bm03/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4511: May 26, 2023, 01:53:05 PM »
In 25 save opportunities this year the Nats have blown 11 of them. Hunter 4, Edwards 2, Thompson 2, Finnegan 2 (with 10 saves), Ramirez 1.

Josh Hader has the highest percentage of saves in opportunities in MLB at 86%. Kyle Finnegan is second at 83%.

Let's say the Nats hadn't blown just 5 of those saves. They would be 26-24 and right in the thick of it. With the starting pitching they're getting, they could be in it if they hadn't blown so many save opportunities.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/mlb/blown-saves-stats-most-blown-saves-teams-players-bm03/
remember a blown save is a blown 3 run or fewer lead by a reliever in any inning, not just the 9th. also, a 3 run or fewer lead that is not blown and turned over to another reliever is a hold, not a save.  if your argument is, "harvey cannot be trusted in the 9th because he has 4 blown saves and only 2 saves," then tell me how many are 9th inning blown saves.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4512: May 26, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
remember a blown save is a blown 3 run or fewer lead by a reliever in any inning, not just the 9th. also, a 3 run or fewer lead that is not blown and turned over to another reliever is a hold, not a save.  if your argument is, "harvey cannot be trusted in the 9th because he has 4 blown saves and only 2 saves," then tell me how many are 9th inning blown saves.

Yes, a blown save is not just the 9th inning. If Ramirez was coming in the 9th trying to save a game something went terribly wrong. My point was if the Nats hadn't blown so many save opportunities they would be right in it. They're near the top of the league in blown saves.

Also though, Finnegan has the highest in percentage of saves vs opportunities behind only Hader.

Online Slateman

« Reply #4513: May 26, 2023, 02:04:48 PM »

A blown save is not a blown game in the 9th. For instance, Mason Thompson's blown saves came in the 8th and 7th innings, respectively.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4514: May 26, 2023, 02:07:48 PM »
A blown save is not a blown game in the 9th. For instance, Mason Thompson's blown saves came in the 8th and 7th innings, respectively.

Not a news flash. That's well known. Again, the point I was making is the Nats are near the top in MLB in blown saves. If they had not blown just say 5 of those 11 they'd be right in the thick of things.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4515: May 26, 2023, 02:17:01 PM »
Not a news flash. That's well known. Again, the point I was making is the Nats are near the top in MLB in blown saves. If they had not blown just say 5 of those 11 they'd be right in the thick of things.
your point is valid. there's a lot of close leads that have been blown overall. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4517: July 04, 2023, 04:46:55 PM »
No real surprise who’s worst:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/which-orgs-are-the-best-and-worst-at-drafting-hitters/
I'm guessing the Astros do so well because the players they draft have a sense of rhythm at the plate, almost as if they were listening to a street band playing on garbage pails.

As for the Nats, I'd be shocked if the pitching came out much better, although there I will guess the Red Sox are the worst over that period. Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz were for a long time the last starters they drafted and developed. Tanner Houck might be the one who broke that streak. We at least have a good number of innings from Fedde and Voth, and Giolito was drafted in 2012.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #4518: July 04, 2023, 05:05:31 PM »
No real surprise who’s worst:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/which-orgs-are-the-best-and-worst-at-drafting-hitters/
Welp time to hit on a hitter near top of draft. Harken back to the Harper and Rendon days.

Offline catocony

« Reply #4519: July 05, 2023, 07:35:11 PM »
The Nats usually drafted a pitcher in the first round, so no real surprise there.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4520: July 05, 2023, 08:10:44 PM »
The Nats usually drafted a pitcher in the first round, so no real surprise there.

We haven’t exactly had any aces percolate up through the farm during that time period

Offline blue911

« Reply #4521: July 05, 2023, 08:24:44 PM »
Other teams aren’t beating down the doors to hire our front office personnel either.

Online Slateman

« Reply #4522: July 05, 2023, 10:08:20 PM »
I dont think theres a convincing argument that Rizzo's drafts since Rendon have sucked

Online IanRubbish

« Reply #4523: July 05, 2023, 10:29:23 PM »
It's not just the drafting, it's the poor development.  Elijah Green is getting messed with terribly now, he's being forced into the philosophy of swing early and make the pitcher's life easy.   I don't know how this gets better as long as Rizzo is around.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #4524: July 06, 2023, 09:42:14 AM »
I really don't understand the what appears to be organizational wide hitting philosophy of making contact first and foremost, regardless of how hittable the pitch is.

All the best offenses take the opposite approach. I don't understand how Rizzo et al don't seem to see that. Is it a moneyball thing where they believe contact first hitters are disproportionately undervalued? I can see an argument for having this approach in the lower minors where guys like Green simply have no ability to make contact with the ball and we care more about development than actual on-field results.

But at the major league level it seems to be a terrible approach. Especially when you have guys like Ruiz and Abrams whose bat to ball skills is what they are already supposed to be good at.