Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 311098 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #3675: August 15, 2018, 02:24:27 AM »
I’m talking big picture throughout the years. It’s not the pitching that failed us in the playoffs...

Say what?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #3676: August 15, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
Holy Cow did we screw up the trade deadline or what?  Rizzo (assuming it was his idea) gambled on this bunch and lost his shirt. 

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #3677: August 15, 2018, 06:59:18 AM »
Trading away half the bullpen and hoping the other half would perform well/not wind up on the DL were the last few coffin nails on 2018.  He took a bullet for Martinez and it might seal his fate,  but I think getting rid of Rizzo will doom the Nats to 2 decades of mediocrity.  This is a guy that fleeces way more than he has been fleeced, and I'm not convinced the bad decisions were Rizzo's. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3678: August 15, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
Trading away half the bullpen and hoping the other half would perform well/not wind up on the DL were the last few coffin nails on 2018.  He took a bullet for Martinez and it might seal his fate,  but I think getting rid of Rizzo will doom the Nats to 2 decades of mediocrity.  This is a guy that fleeces way more than he has been fleeced, and I'm not convinced the bad decisions were Rizzo's. 

:lmao: does he also turn water into wine

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #3679: August 15, 2018, 11:06:07 AM »
:lmao: does he also turn water into wine

You think he's done a bad job overall?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3680: August 15, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
You think he's done a bad job overall?

I think he’s done an average to maybe above average job.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3681: August 15, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
Yankees - Have had 2 good and 1 "decent" draft picks going back to 2009. Judge was a 1st rounder in 2013, Adam Warren a 4th rounder in 2009. Greg Bird (jury is very much out on) was a 5th rounder in 2011. Other than them, garbage drafting for the last decade.

no idea what you are looking at with this info

2015 - 5th round pick chance adams was a top-100 prospect this year (fringy there but good prospect and an MLB arm - he'd be a godsend right now)
2015 - just traded a 22nd round pick and 11th round pick for Britton from Baltimore - both are AAA/MLB guys right now but look like high-floor relievers
2015 - greg bird is an MLB player, injuries have freaked him but i think he ends up with a nick johnson-type career
2014 - 4th round pick jordan montgomery is an MLB starter, was a stud last year, just got TJS
2014 - 6th round pick jonathan holder is an MLB reliever for sure, currently has a 131 OPS+ in the NYY bullpen
2013 - traded 1st rounder Eric Jagielo for aroldis chapman
2013 - 4th round pick tyler wade was a borderline top-100 this year, looks like a utility guy for his career. value!
2013 - 7th round, 10th round and 14th round guys are all MLB relievers even if fringey
2013 - 18th round pick Fowler was a top-100 guy until he slammed into a wall last year, was traded in sonny gray trade and looks like a solid OF guy
2013 - 36th round pick made the majors!

They've built their studs other than Judge through international dudes (Andujar, Sanchez), but there are a ton of solid depth dudes in there that we would KILL for and even more guys they were able to deal for legitimate MLB guys (like we do!). that's what our system lacks almost always. there's an MLB starter, a starting 1B (last year he was a beast in the playoffs mostly), a handful of relievers and a bunch of fringe guys.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #3682: August 15, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »

Above average is not good...

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #3683: August 15, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »

We can debate that.  But regardless my fear is they will replace him with someone incompetent.

Offline tzinc

« Reply #3684: August 15, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
I don't know if it he was with the Lerners on firing Dusty but he should have said NO

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #3685: August 15, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
Impossible to evaluate  him unless you know how much he is hindered by the Lerner conglomerate

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3686: August 15, 2018, 05:33:32 PM »
Impossible to evaluate  him unless you know how much he is hindered by the Lerner conglomerate

‘Hindered’ by one of the highest payrolls in baseball. I wonder how many other gms wish ownership would ‘hinder’ them like that

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3687: August 15, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »
‘Hindered’ by one of the highest payrolls in baseball. I wonder how many other gms wish ownership would ‘hinder’ them like that

If I gave you a 300 million dollar payroll and then told you to spend half of that acquiring and reanimating Ted William's frozen head to prepare for play, then it's still a hinderance.

Or the reason why some brides are unhappy with their weddings despite spending a ton of money on it: parental meddling.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3688: August 15, 2018, 06:00:17 PM »
If I gave you a 300 million dollar payroll and then told you to spend half of that acquiring and reanimating Ted William's frozen head to prepare for play, then it's still a hinderance.

Or the reason why some brides are unhappy with their weddings despite spending a ton of money on it: parental meddling.

Poor Rizzo saddled with Scherzer- just imagine how much better the team would be without that anchor

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3689: August 15, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
Poor Rizzo saddled with Scherzer- just imagine how much better the team would be without that anchor

I didn’t say it’s the case with the Nats, just arguing your point that money means no hindrance.

The catching situation possibly comes to mind, though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3690: August 15, 2018, 06:13:49 PM »
I didn’t say it’s the case with the Nats, just arguing your point that money means no hindrance.

The catching situation possibly comes to mind, though.

Your assuming other ownership groups don’t care about their billion dollar toys, sure he could probably find a team where the owners just say no instead of discussing hundred million dollar expenditures, but I doubt there is an owner who just tells his gm to do whatever they want

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3691: August 15, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
Your assuming other ownership groups don’t care about their billion dollar toys, sure he could probably find a team where the owners just say no instead of discussing hundred million dollar expenditures, but I doubt there is an owner who just tells his gm to do whatever they want

What's the point of buying a team and just handing the keys over to the GM, you might as well just buy a suite.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #3692: August 15, 2018, 07:09:05 PM »
What's the point of buying a team and just handing the keys over to the GM, you might as well just buy a suite.

Offline NatsLSU

« Reply #3693: August 15, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »
No wonder no one ever took you serious on extremeskins.  You read what you want to read. How about the Cespedes that helped power the Mets? I’m talking big picture. You were probably a huge fan of McPhee trading Forsberg for Erat and never addressing the defense.

The problem has always been offense with this team when the games mattered. Woo hoo, we’re scoring runs and losing games. We’ve always had the pitching up until this year. You’re just as blind as Rizzo.

We had a legit chance at championships over the past 5 years and Rizzo pissed all over it.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #3694: August 15, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »
Holy Cow did we screw up the trade deadline or what?  Rizzo (assuming it was his idea) gambled on this bunch and lost his shirt. 

Yup, Rizzo looks really bad right now

« Reply #3695: August 15, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »

We're assuming it was Rizzo's decision to not sell at the deadline. My guess is it was Mark Lerner's.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3696: August 15, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
No, he looks really smart.

What trade fixed this? Legit, who were they going to trade for that was going to fix this crap?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3697: August 15, 2018, 11:01:05 PM »
No wonder no one ever took you serious on extremeskins.  You read what you want to read. How about the Cespedes that helped power the Mets? I’m talking big picture. You were probably a huge fan of McPhee trading Forsberg for Erat and never addressing the defense.

The problem has always been offense with this team when the games mattered. Woo hoo, we’re scoring runs and losing games. We’ve always had the pitching up until this year. You’re just as blind as Rizzo.

We had a legit chance at championships over the past 5 years and Rizzo pissed all over it.
How many runs did the Nats score in all the game 5 NLDS losses--quite a few as I recall?  Plenty of blame to go around. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3698: August 15, 2018, 11:03:11 PM »

Half the bullpen? He traded two guys

Kintzler was replace by Suero. Guess who has been better? Yeah, Suero.

And Kelley .... so this is how its gonna be, huh? We're going to complain about losing Kelley, and just ignore the litany if posts and threads all but begging Rizo to DFA Kelley for the last year and a half?

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #3699: August 16, 2018, 12:23:27 AM »
Rizzo has one more year imo. If the Nats don't go deep in the playoffs next year I say the Nats move on.