Author Topic: Fire Rizzo  (Read 315353 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Fire Rizzo
« Reply #4475: January 30, 2023, 10:54:51 AM »
Where in the world do you get that about Wood? In 2021 he hit .372 with an OBP of .465 in 101 plate appearances. In 2022 he hit .313 with an OBP of .420.

I think he's referring to the fact that Wood's numbers in Fredericksburg were much weaker than they'd been in Lake Elsinore.  I'm not sure that holds much water - Lake Elsinore is a pitchers' park in what's otherwise a hitter-friendly league - but it's at least an argument.

My biggest bone to pick is that this is low-A.  Baseball Prospectus thinks he's the #3 prospect in all of baseball.  That's insane.  Ranking him ahead of guys who are only a year older, play SS with plus power and speed tools, and have already mashed AA (with better stats than Wood had in low-A) is a reflection of one thing: Aaron Judge hit 62 home runs. 

If Judge had hit 32, or had hit 62 for a team not located in New York or Boston, Wood would barely be a top-40 prospect.  Wood is 6'7" and kinda looks like Aaron Judge, but 6'7" corner OFs who are already 240 pounds at age 20 are much more likely to become Adam Dunn than Aaron Judge.  Now that's still a very good player, but it's not the #3 prospect in all of baseball, and certainly not when the guy's never played above low-A.