Author Topic: Did you go out and vote?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Did you go out and vote?
« Reply #100: November 03, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Democracy simply doesn't work.

Win.

And what makes that great comedy is that there's a kernel of truth to it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #101: November 03, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but prop 19 was voted on by the people of California was it not?  Colodar's rant against the state and federal govt seems woefully misplaced to me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #102: November 03, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but prop 19 was voted on by the people of California was it not? 

In California they do everything by referendum, bypassing the legislature.  It's entirely possible to have competing and contradictory propositions passed.  What a cluster.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #103: November 03, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but prop 19 was voted on by the people of California was it not?  Colodar's rant against the state and federal govt seems woefully misplaced to me.

How so? If you refer to the fact I'm displeased since I don't live in California, well, you've got me there, but my reasoning, logic and personal opinion still all apply. If you refer to the issue that the people said no, and I mainly railed against the government, which is what I genuinely suspect, I have to strongly disagree. I believe I already mentioned it, but the fact is the government has put forth such a ridiculous propaganda war that it's literally sickening, even more considering how most of it's lies. Look at the propaganda the government put out in the 20s and 30s because the paper industry wanted it banned as hemp was competition to them. The blacks and their jazzy music with pot smoking are stealing our white women. That certainly wasn't the only argument for banning it, but I would argue it was the most significant one. The bottom line is the government banned it in the first place on a campaign based on disinformation and scare tactics. Now that people want it overturned in more liberal states, they are using the same tactics to keep it banned despite the wishes of the people so far as polls and usage indicate.

Since the Reagan war on drugs in particular, the government has put out such vehement disinformation on marijuana that it has absolutely swayed public opinion based on untruths. The whole "gateway" drug argument, which is not only not backed up by studies, but would go away so much more significantly if marijuana weren't sold by the same people selling cocaine and meth, etc. Marijuana leads to hardcore drug abuse about as much as alcohol as far as "I'm getting high, so let me try something harder." The government has simply put forth such a PR campai based on either downright lies or propaganda that I don't believe you cannot say it hasn't swayed public opinion based on incorrect data. But here's the most simple fact on government intervention relating specifically to proposition 19 and thus my rant focusing on government and not accepting the people simply didn't want it. Prop 19 was leading in many polls over the summer. Then the Obama administration came out with the same rhetoric and lies about the evils of marijuana. That wasnt what led to the failure in my opinion though. What did was that they threatened to cause a legal nightmare enforcing federal drug laws, arresting people, causing a legal nightmare in the courts, etc. Then the polls start going down.

Like I said in my first post, I'm a hardcore libertarian on these issues. I don't think the government has a right to say adults can't consume drugs, marijuana or even ecstasy or cocaine or other opiates. I don't think they have a right to say prostitution is illegal either, so long as you don't have women on corners wearing nothing. Obviously thats not the popular opinion, and the majority of Americans want that to continue being illegal. My admitted rant focuses simply on the fact I don't believe the government has a right to arrest adults consenting to do activity in private that doesn't impact the community. When it does, as does drunk driving, arrest them. But that argument isn't going to hold a lot of sway, and I begrudgingly understand why most of those drugs will be illegal despite my wishes to the contrary. But public opinion is clearly in favor of marijuana being legalized in some areas, and it fails in part due to government PR campaigns based on lies, and in part due to government threatening action to scare the people of California into saying it isn't worth it. For the more extreme and unpopular of my legalization opinions, I simply don't believe the majority of people have a right to say what you can and can't do so long as it impacts no one save the individual using. But I understand that it likely will have an impact beyond that person for harder drugs, and thus accept it's continued illegality. But the marijuana issue is totally different since it is such a comparably light drug, far less deadly both to the person using and the community, than alcohol and finally the fact a majority of Americans have experimented with it at some point. The government is trying to keep that illegal despite the wishes of the people in some states, and is succeeding.

So bottom line, I'd be making the argument regardless of whether it was the peoples wish to keep it illegal. But for this instance in particular, it's clearly the government waging a battle to keep it illegal despite the wishes of the people. I don't see how one can argue otherwise when they look at the federal governments campaign against Prop 19.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #104: November 03, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »
Not to mention the U.S. federal government's threats to impose trade sanctions against Canada following their decriminalising of cannabis use. 

How so? If you refer to the fact I'm displeased since I don't live in California, well, you've got me there, but my reasoning, logic and personal opinion still all apply. If you refer to the issue that the people said no, and I mainly railed against the government, which is what I genuinely suspect, I have to strongly disagree. I believe I already mentioned it, but the fact is the government has put forth such a ridiculous propaganda war that it's literally sickening, even more considering how most of it's lies. Look at the propaganda the government put out in the 20s and 30s because the paper industry wanted it banned as hemp was competition to them. The blacks and their jazzy music with pot smoking are stealing our white women. That certainly wasn't the only argument for banning it, but I would argue it was the most significant one.

Since the Reagan war on drugs in particular, the government has put out such vehement disinformation on marijuana that it has absolutely swayed public opinion based on untruths. The whole "gateway" drug argument, which is not only not backed up by studies, but would go away so much more significantly if marijuana weren't sold by the same people selling cocaine and meth, etc. Marijuana leads to hardcore drug abuse about as much as alcohol as far as "I'm getting high, so let me try something harder." The government has simply put forth such a PR campai based on either downright lies or propaganda that I don't believe you cannot say it hasn't swayed public opinion based on incorrect data. But here's the most simple fact on government intervention relating specifically to proposition 19 and thus my rant focusing on government and not accepting the people simply didn't want it. Prop 19 was leading in many polls over the summer. Then the Obama administration came out with the same rhetoric and lies about the evils of marijuana. That wasnt what led to the failure in my opinion though. What did was that they threatened to cause a legal nightmare enforcing federal drug laws, arresting people, causing a legal nightmare in the courts, etc. Then the polls start going down.

Like I said in my first post, I'm a hardcore libertarian on these issues. I don't think the government has a right to say adults can't consume drugs, marijuana or even ecstasy or cocaine or other opiates. I don't think they have a right to say prostitution is illegal either, so long as you don't have women on corners wearing nothing. Obviously thats not the popular opinion, and the majority of Americans want that to continue being illegal. My admitted rant focuses simply on the fact I don't believe the government has a right to arrest adults consenting to do activity in private that doesn't impact the community. When it does, as does drunk driving, arrest them. But that argument isn't going to hold a lot of sway, and I begrudgingly understand why most of those drugs will be illegal despite my wishes to the contrary. But public opinion is clearly in favor of marijuana being legalized in some areas, and it fails in part due to government PR campaigns based on lies, and in part due to government threatening action to scare the people of California into saying it isn't worth it. For the more extreme and unpopular of my legalization opinions, I simply don't believe the majority of people have a right to say what you can and can't do so long as it impacts no one save the individual using. But I understand that it likely will have an impact beyond that person for harder drugs, and thus accept it's continued illegality. But the marijuana issue is totally different since it is such a comparably light drug, far less deadly both to the person using and the community, than alcohol and finally the fact a majority of Americans have experimented with it at some point. The government is trying to keep that illegal despite the wishes of the people in some states, and is succeeding.

So bottom line, I'd be making the argument regardless of whether it was the peoples wish to keep it illegal. But for this instance in particular, it's clearly the government waging a battle to keep it illegal despite the wishes of the people. I don't see how one can argue otherwise when they look at the federal governments campaign against Prop 19.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #105: November 03, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
Only 11% of Americans under 30 voted. :shock:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #106: November 03, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »

They need to allow people to vote by texting.

:roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #107: November 03, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »
If you can't be bothered to drag yourself out to a poll, do you really deserve a say?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #108: November 03, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »

They voted for Obama, saw he was as full of crap as nearly everyone else, and won't vote again until the next great campaigner comes along.

That, or they were all too stoned to get to the polls on time.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #109: November 03, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »
They voted for Obama, saw he was as full of crap as nearly everyone else, and won't vote again until the next great campaigner comes along.

Surprisingly that sounds like some of my friends.

• babble on
« Reply #110: November 03, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
Raising the driving age to 30 for people who don't vote would take care of that.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #111: November 03, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
They need to allow people to vote by texting.

:roll:

You joke, but you're essentially right.  The current system for voting is criminally out of date and inefficient.

Raising the driving age to 30 for people who don't vote would take care of that.

:lol:

TL;DR

Sometimes less is more :P  Regardless of what you think of bureaucratic BS at the state or federal level, the fact remains that the people of California have spoken.  Democracy at work.  I was not attempting to evaluate any of the other issues you brought into play.  If you think the people of California are stupid or misinformed and are looking for someone to blame for that, bully for you.  But it was still their decision to make, and they made it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #112: November 03, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
You joke, but you're essentially right.  The current system for voting is criminally out of date and inefficient.

What are you talking about!? They have awesome keycards that store data!!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #113: November 03, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »
You joke, but you're essentially right.  The current system for voting is criminally out of date and inefficient.

we could use online voting, no way for that to go horribly wrong

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/debonis/2010/10/hacker_infiltration_ends_dc_on.html

Last week, the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics opened a new Internet-based voting system for a weeklong test period, inviting computer experts from all corners to prod its vulnerabilities in the spirit of "give it your best shot." Well, the hackers gave it their best shot -- and midday Friday, the trial period was suspended, with the board citing "usability issues brought to our attention."

Here's one of those issues: After casting a vote, according to test observers, the Web site played "Hail to The Victors" -- the University of Michigan fight song.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #114: November 03, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
we could use online voting, no way for that to go horribly wrong

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/debonis/2010/10/hacker_infiltration_ends_dc_on.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting there are any viable alternatives right now.  Just pointing out that Tom is exactly right.  A lot more kids would vote if it didn't take so long.  Time grows exponentially more valuable with each passing generation.

Besides, do you really want 100% of 18-24 year-olds voting?  Imagine what the campaign ads would look like :shock:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #115: November 03, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »
I actually think there is an alternative, apparently you can vote online in estonia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting_in_Estonia, of course that only works because of a secure national identity card which would have people breaking out the pitchforks and lighting the torches here

• babble on
« Reply #116: November 03, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
(video games)

Besides, do you really want 100% of 18-24 year-olds voting?  Imagine what the campaign ads would look like :shock:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #117: November 03, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »

It's funny, because I and nearly everybody I know (18-24) voted. I think it really boils down to the same things it boils down to in every generation ... how educated you are, how engaged you are, whether or not you're too lazy to go vote. I've got a lot of educated, engaged, not-lazy friends so the 11% number took me by surprise.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #118: November 03, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
Sending a check to your favorite special interest group is infinitely more useful than voting unless you live in a hotly contested district.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #119: November 03, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
Sending a check to your favorite special interest group is infinitely more useful than voting unless you live in a hotly contested district.

Virginia's 11th voters had insanely power votes.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #120: November 03, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

:shrug:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #121: November 03, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #122: November 03, 2010, 02:32:36 PM »
Virginia's 11th voters had insanely power votes.

:bow:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #123: November 03, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »

Sometimes less is more :P  Regardless of what you think of bureaucratic BS at the state or federal level, the fact remains that the people of California have spoken.  Democracy at work.  I was not attempting to evaluate any of the other issues you brought into play.  If you think the people of California are stupid or misinformed and are looking for someone to blame for that, bully for you.  But it was still their decision to make, and they made it.

I'll happily agree with the less is more, but if you can't tell, it's an issue I'm passionate about, so you'll have to forgive me. I just have a vehement issue with government, or the people, whoever it is, telling an adult they can't do whatever they want to do so long as they do it in private and are not negatively impacting society at large or the community. They work their eight hours a day and want to spend the rest of their life high as a kite in their home, that's their business.

As far as our disagreement on the fact its the choice of the people... Again, I have to disagree. There's such a thing as voter intimidation. It applies when candidates do it just as much as the federal government. The bottom line here is that regardless of the polls, the Obama admin intimidated California by threatening to arrest people by enforcing federal laws over the choices of the state. When an election is held without the federal government intimidating the populace, then I can begrudgingly accept it. But the polls showed it was going to pass. Then the Obama admin starts threatening ridiculous actions, and the polls drop. If a candidate wins because he threatens members of the opposing party, was he the peoples choice? It's slight hyperbole, but the relationship is similar in some regards. The people of California were told that if they passed this, the federal government was going to arrest people doing things legal by the state law they passed. Then people realized it wasn't worth it. That's not my opinion, that's what the polls showed. Bottom line.

Likewise, you have to realize that obviously, as I have made clear, I don't believe the people have a right to say what you can and cannot do in private so long as it effects others, so my opinion is clearly tainted by personal beliefs. But from all I've read on the matter, which is a fair amount, it seems that the facts support the federal governments intimidation campaign altered the outcome of this vote. If the people are told they'll be arrested even if they pass this, why bother creating the nightmare and having people in jail? That certainly altered the way people on the fence voted.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #124: November 03, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
If you can't be bothered to drag yourself out to a poll, do you really deserve a say?

No.

And I believe there should be a lot more stipulations for the right to vote than just avoiding laziness.