Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1 (Curly W)  (Read 31682 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Nationals 0
Phillies 0
Game 1, 7:05 PM

Brett Myers
12-6, 3.94

Ramon Ortiz
10-15, 5.40

Lineups:

The Phillies of Philadelphia
J. Rollins SS
S. Victorino CF
C. Utley 2B
R. Howard 1B
J. Conine RF
P. Burrell LF
M. Lieberthal
A. Nunez 3B
B. Myers P

The Nationals of Washington
B. Castro 2B
F. Lopez SS
A. Soriano
R. Zimmerman 3B
J. Vidro 1B
B. Schneider
N. Logan CF
R. Church RF
R. Ortiz P

Game Preview:

Philadelphia starter Brett Myers (12-6, 3.94 ERA) is 4-0 with a 2.45 ERA in his last six starts, including a six-hitter Wednesday in a 6-2 win over the Chicago Cubs  .

''Brett builds on confidence,'' catcher Mike Lieberthal said. ''There are times where he can get frustrated, and you have to calm him down, and he has to stay within himself when he gets in trouble. For him, when he's pitching well, it seems like he keeps getting stronger.''

The right-hander is 2-1 with a 7.52 ERA in four starts against the Nationals this season and 2-0 with a 4.76 ERA in four career outings at RFK Stadium.

The Nationals won for the sixth time in nine games, 7-3 at the Mets on Monday. Brian Schneider tied a career high with four hits and Jose Vidro went 3-for-3.

Washington leadoff hitter Alfonso Soriano , who's 4-for-13 with six strikeouts lifetime against Myers, has homered six times against Philadelphia this year.

Ramon Ortiz (10-15, 5.40) will take the mound for the Nationals. Ortiz is Washington's staff leader in victories with 10 - his highest total in three years.

The veteran right-hander fell to 0-3 with an 8.27 ERA over his last three outings after surrendering five runs and eight hits over five innings in a 7-3 loss Wednesday to Atlanta. He allowed two homers for the third straight start.

''Every time I make a mistake - home run,'' Ortiz said. ''I don't want to think about my last three games. I have to keep pitching well. I want to finish strong. I want to do the best I can my last three games.''

Ortiz is 0-2 with a 12.91 ERA in two starts against the Phillies this year.

Howard is 2-for-5 with a homer against Ortiz in his career.