Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 40781 times)

Offline The Hammer

Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #175: September 29, 2010, 12:20:19 AM »
I couldn't care less about ERA.  I'm interested in stats that actually measure what the pitcher does like K/9, K/BB, FIP etc.

You also said Livan is turning back into a pumpkin.  Since the start of August he has the following results:  QS, QS, QS, QS, bad start, bad start, bad start, QS, QS, bad start, QS.

That's 3 of the last 4 QS and 7 of the last 11 from a guy who got a 1 year, 1m extension.

I'll leave the sky is falling garbage to those who seem to do nothing but ignore the actual numbers.

The last month plus has seen JZ return from injury (his only truly bad stat has been HR/9), Lannan pitch better than any 2 month stretch in his career, Livan continue to be a solid SP, and Marquis getting better nearly every start.  That's four guys who should be part of the rotation next season, along with a FA or trade, with Detwiler and Maya starting the year in AAA and being ready whenever performance or injury requires it.
You care about FIP until it doesn't suit your point. How about Marquis 4.94 FIP or 4.8 K/9. If John Lannan has a 4.70 FIP he is trash and a AA pitcher in your eyes, but Marquis can have an almost 5 FIP, and he is a star.