Author Topic: 10/11 offseason  (Read 208544 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
And what happened in 05, 06, 07 and 08?

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean it makes it right to try and insult me.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Byron Kerr reports that Justin Maxwell had TJ surgery on his left elbow but will be ready for ST.

Offline Potomac Cannons

And what happened in 05, 06, 07 and 08?

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean it makes it right to try and insult me.

Injuries.  How is that hard to understand?  26 starts in 4 years due to INJURIES.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Byron Kerr reports that Justin Maxwell had TJ surgery on his left elbow but will be ready for ST.

Ok seriously, how do you hide that much elbow pain? WTF.

Offline Rizzone

Injuries.  How is that hard to understand?  26 starts in 4 years due to INJURIES.
That's not supposed to be a thing going into his favor. Maybe he had bad luck those years or maybe he is injury prone and had a lot of good luck the past 2 years.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

What's to say you don't weigh the injury history as more important than some statistical anomalies?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
That's not supposed to be a thing going into his favor. Maybe he had bad luck those years or maybe he is injury prone and had a lot of good luck the past 2 years.

This is a reasonable question while discussing Pavano.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I'm tired of watching brick wall arguments on this forum.  It's too much like politics, and I HATE politics.  If you guys are both absolutely convinced of your positions and unmovable, please let it drop and move on to something else.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I'm tired of watching brick wall arguments on this forum.  It's too much like politics, and I HATE politics.  If you guys are both absolutely convinced of your positions and unmovable, please let it drop and move on to something else.

The actual news (Maxwell's surgery) got buried in the crape.

Offline The Chief

What'd he have surgery on?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
How do you blow out your non-throwing elbow?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
What'd he have surgery on?

Tommy John on his left elbow.

Offline EdStroud

It does keep them off the streets

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

I'm with you about both subjects of discussion.

Offline The Chief

Maybe you don't want to know

:couch: :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Maybe you don't want to know

:couch: :lol:

He smashed a box?

Offline The Chief

He smashed a box?

Is that what they're calling it now?  :|

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Looking at too many Rosie Jones picks, eh?

Online imref

Impersonating the Rock and dropping the people's elbow on Nyjer Morgan?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Impersonating the Rock and dropping the people's elbow on Nyjer Morgan?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
More like...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
This looks shopped.  I can tell from some of the pixels and having seen quite a few shops in my time.  :lmao:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Has PCan actually looked at Pavano's record??? OK. First it's necessary to read; then to reason accurately.

Study http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pavanca01.shtml and suggest why we should believe you, PCan, when you insist that the numbers "prove" Pavano "would have" been something great during all the years when a succession of "ouchies" kept him off the field.

Take away 2004 and what kind of pitcher do you see??? Look at the ERA slog around 4 or 5. Look at the WHIP. Look at the SO/9. I see a mediocre pitcher. Want a top-line pitcher? Compare the Nats own Camilo Pascual:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pascuca02.shtml

Consider the seasons from 1958 - 1968. Did Pavano ever have a season like Pascual in 1959? And that was just the season that people took notice of Pascual. He went on and on. Note the 1960 season, which Pascual mostly misssed when a Boston player pulled Pascual's picthing arm out of the socket during a brawl after a Boston pitcher hit the Nats catcher in the head.

No, Camilo Pascual will never be in the Hall of Fame, but, yes, that is a top-of-the-rotation starter.

Now, PCan...have you read "Moneyball"? Do you understand that Billy Beane uses stats to predict a player's value over a long haul? For instance, the book focuses on Nick Swisher, and whether it is safe to let Johnny Damon leave if the A's can draft Swisher. It focuses on the chances that Swisher will contribute. Not whether Swisher will be an all-star in two years, but whether he can make it in the majors. Half a decade later, we can say that, yes, Swisher can start in the majors. That's all Beane was looking for: not the next Mickey Mantle.

Your own extrapolations are simply bizarre.

We have a 2B who hits .290 one season in A-ball, and suddenly Lombardozzi will carry the Nats. Yes, maybe if the Nationals played in A, but, do you understand, a lot of players fail at each step up to the majors? Pitchers make fewer mistakes, pitchers throw a little harder, pitchers throw more and nastier breaking pitches. Espinosa got fooled a lot in September. His minor-league numbers are not that different from, shudder, Justin Maxwell whenever Maxwell wasn't hurt. Both have a hard swing, and both would win style points if umpires awarded them. Unfortunately, both swing and miss too much.

PCan, you have to learn the concept of "necessary and sufficient". Sure, it is a good thing if a 21 year old hits .300 in AA. That does not prove they will handle the majors, or even AAA.

On Pavano, incidentally, the general opinion is that he choked. If a pitcher is out for three consecutive yearts, he is usually named "John Patterson" or "Shawn Hill", and he's on his way out of baseball. Three years should indicate a terrible injury. Some pitchers choke. That happens. Look up Kenny Rogers. There is another pitcher -- I won't bother looking his name up -- who pitched well outside New York but folded here. The Yankees dropped him, and he became an adequate pitcher again...at SD, I think. He might even have pitched against the Yankees in a late '90s World Series (and gotten hammered).

PCan, learn how to use evidence and logic. When you've done some research and thinking, try it out. So far, you are unconvincing.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I've got a bright, shiny quarter that says Cannons can't respond to that without insulting welch.

Online imref