Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50158 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Buk Reedin' Thred (Book Thread)
« Reply #200: December 18, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
I bought "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in the Gettysburg gift shop this weekend for $4, but then I couldn't find it this morning when I departed.  I think I inadvertently put trash in the bag (while on a boy scout expedition) and tossed it.   :bang:

Famous book, but has anyone else actually read it?   :shrug:

I was so pissed off about it I flipped off Nathan as I drove back home this morning.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #201: December 18, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
Allanon is a freaking bad ass.

Yeah, for a guy named after AA, he is really good at making fireballs.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #202: December 18, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »
I bought "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in the Gettysburg gift shop this weekend for $4, but then I couldn't find it this morning when I departed.  I think I inadvertently put trash in the bag (while on a boy scout expedition) and tossed it.   :bang:

I was so pissed off about it I flipped off Nathan as I drove back home this morning.

I'm pretty sure it is public domain, so you can download it from Google Books, Kindle shop, etc.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #203: December 18, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »

You woke me up, jerk :evil:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #204: December 19, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »
I just started reading "The Art of Fielding" - I'm not sure I like some of the stylistic elements, but the story seems about to get very interesting (I'm 15% through it).

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #205: December 23, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
Just started reading the Wheel of Time series.

Should I start with the prequel book, or jump straight into the series proper and read the prequel later?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #206: December 23, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
Just started reading the Wheel of Time series.

Should I start with the prequel book, or jump straight into the series proper and read the prequel later?

Read the prequel later. Start with The Eye of the World.

I just finished reading The Path of Daggers (the 8th book) for like the sixth time. Doing a re-read in anticipation of the final book.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #207: December 23, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
I got myself set up with a decent sized reading agenda.

Wheel of Time, His Dark Materials, Song of Ice and Fire, then the rest of The Hunger Games. I am also gonna read The Dark Tower again, and finally read Lord of The Rings.

That should last me about 2 months or so maybe. I am a binge reader.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #208: December 23, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
I finished the Shannara book I forgot I had, so now I need to get something new again.  Debating between A Song of Ice and Fire or switching genres and going with Dan Brown's latest (the name escapes me ATM).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #209: December 23, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »

Wheel of Time, His Dark Materials, Song of Ice and Fire, then the rest of The Hunger Games. I am also gonna read The Dark Tower again, and finally read Lord of The Rings.

I'm waiting on my prime renewal for Hunger Games 3. I'm reading the other kids series, Gregor the Overlander, it's really not bad. I'm also reading a book about North Korea "The Cleanest Race" and Stephen King's Firestarter. I ride the metro a lot.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #210: December 23, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
I finished the Shannara book I forgot I had, so now I need to get something new again.  Debating between A Song of Ice and Fire or switching genres and going with Dan Brown's latest (the name escapes me ATM).

Didn't you have the whole original Trilogy? I'm nearly done with the 175th Shanarra book that came out this summer.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #211: December 23, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »

Didn't you have the whole original Trilogy? I'm nearly done with the 175th Shanarra book that came out this summer.

175 books ಠ_ಠ

I did have the trilogy, I finished Elfstones.  Wishsong seems like a rehash of te original, tbh.  Read the first few chapters of that.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #212: December 23, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »

Damn that's a lot of reading in two months. His Dark Materials are for like the pre-teen range though...

I tried reading LotR for the first time this summer, but got really bored and stopped (I think I made it almost to the end of the first book).

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #213: December 23, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
Damn that's a lot of reading in two months.

Like I said, I am a binge-reader. 

If a book is interesting enough, I'm the type that will forgo sleep to finish it. I read The Heir Trilogy in about 4 nights.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #214: December 23, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »
Damn that's a lot of reading in two months. His Dark Materials are for like the pre-teen range though...

I tried reading LotR for the first time this summer, but got really bored and stopped (I think I made it almost to the end of the first book).
I'm feeling that way about song of ice and fire- finished book 1, then started to skipcertain story lines, now I've put it aside for awhile

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #215: December 23, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
I failed in my quest to do 52 Books in 52 Weeks in 2011.  Hopefully in 2012 I can make it happen and do the "Infinite Summer" (reading "Infinite Jest" in 10 weeks).  It's really too bad I don't like fiction outside of graphic novels...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #216: December 23, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
I'm feeling that way about song of ice and fire- finished book 1, then started to skipcertain story lines, now I've put it aside for awhile

It does get really slow, I'll admit (especially in the 2nd book, a little in the 3rd and 4th although the 3rd has amazing stuff happen) but it starts to pick up.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #217: December 23, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »
I read the amazon sample, and damn it was confusing with so many things happening at once and so many characters to try to track.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #218: December 23, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »
"Infinite Summer" (reading "Infinite Jest" in 10 weeks). 

Could not read that book.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #219: December 23, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »
David Foster Wallace was the man.  Give "Consider the Lobster" (a collection of his essays) a try.  "Infinite Jest" is a bit ambitious but man-o-man is it hilarious (to me at least).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #220: December 24, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »

Tom Bombadil tries to ruin the whole thing.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #221: December 24, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
I forget who he is so it's all good

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #222: December 24, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
David Foster Wallace was the man.  Give "Consider the Lobster" (a collection of his essays) a try.  "Infinite Jest" is a bit ambitious but man-o-man is it hilarious (to me at least).

Yeah, "Consider the Lobster" is a gateway drug. So many great essays in that book. I read "Infinite Jest" in 28 days and it was a crazy, amazing experience. The first 50 pages or so aren't instantly gripping, but yeah.

And the chapter where they play Eschaton on the tennis court and get in a brawl was probably the funniest thing I read anywhere this year.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #223: December 24, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
I just started reading "The Art of Fielding" - I'm not sure I like some of the stylistic elements, but the story seems about to get very interesting (I'm 15% through it).

This book is about baseball, human sexuality, the "American Dream", the college experience, depression, family relationships, and I'm not halfway done yet. It is highly recommended.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #224: December 24, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »
This book is about baseball, human sexuality, the "American Dream", the college experience, depression, family relationships, and I'm not halfway done yet. It is highly recommended.

I liked it better the first time when it was called "The Rules of Attraction".