Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50430 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #675: April 17, 2019, 01:10:33 PM »
Iirc, the confederate sent clothes of yellow fever victims to the north to try and spread the disease to northern populations too.

Didn't we do that to the Native Americans as well?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #676: April 17, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
Launching corpses over the walls with a trebuchet was an early form of biological warfare 700-some years ago. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #677: April 17, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
Fetchez La Vache!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #678: April 17, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
"Ni!  Ni!  Ni!"

Offline wj73

« Reply #679: May 06, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »
Just finished The Last Stone, by Mark Bowden, author of Blackhawk Down. It’s about how the Lyon Sisters case was solved, 40 years after the young sisters disappeared at Wheaton Plaza. It’s a testament to cold case detectives, and the incredibly work of the detectives who, through multiple interviews with the suspect, finally cracked the case.

It’s a disturbing book.  Although not deliberately grisly, you learn the eventual fate of the girls.  I had nightmares the night I finished it, just thinking of them.  Those innocent girls went to a local mall to see the Easter decorations and walked into the path of pure evil. And as the book makes clear, there were others in the perpetrator’s family who participated in this crime who were never brought to justice. But for anyone who lived in Montgomery County in 1975, the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters marked the end of innocence for many in the county. This book provides some kind of answers.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #680: May 06, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
Just finished The Last Stone, by Mark Bowden, author of Blackhawk Down. It’s about how the Lyon Sisters case was solved, 40 years after the young sisters disappeared at Wheaton Plaza. It’s a testament to cold case detectives, and the incredibly work of the detectives who, through multiple interviews with the suspect, finally cracked the case.

It’s a disturbing book.  Although not deliberately grisly, you learn the eventual fate of the girls.  I had nightmares the night I finished it, just thinking of them.  Those innocent girls went to a local mall to see the Easter decorations and walked into the path of pure evil. And as the book makes clear, there were others in the perpetrator’s family who participated in this crime who were never brought to justice. But for anyone who lived in Montgomery County in 1975, the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters marked the end of innocence for many in the county. This book provides some kind of answers.

I thought about reading it but to this day, it is one of the saddest stories I recall during my time in the DC area.

Offline wj73

« Reply #681: May 06, 2019, 09:48:16 PM »
I thought about reading it but to this day, it is one of the saddest stories I recall during my time in the DC area.

It’s a tough read, but if you were here in the area at the time, then I think it’s a worthwhile read. My heart still breaks for the parents.

My suggestion would be to read it early in the day and not before bedtime. It’s that disturbing.

Online NatNasty

« Reply #682: July 20, 2019, 11:34:16 PM »
I just finished listening to/reading the wheel of time series. I checked my audible history and  I started in October 2015, I can’t remember anything having taken me this long to read

I had read all but the last book.  While waiting forever for that to come out, I'd forgotten a lot of what had happened in the previous books.  So, I decided to re-read the entire series.  Took me a while to get started, knowing it would probably take me about a year.  Finally began this past Jan or Feb and am now on the 6th book.

Finished WOT this past week!

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #683: November 06, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
I will have to get this. Great story also about how McNamara’s wife finished publishing the book after his death. He died in the capital gazette shooting last year.

https://www.amazon.com/Capital-Basketball-History-School-Hoops/dp/1626167206

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #684: July 10, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
Read this Sandy Koufax bio recently.  Enjoyed it. It’s built around his 1965 perfect game against the Cubs. Lots of stuff I didn’t know about him.  One of my big regrets is not seeing him pitch in person.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Sandy_Koufax.html?id=vmkRr_XJlBgC&source=kp_book_description

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #685: July 17, 2020, 08:53:56 PM »
I finished "Buzz Saw: The Improbable Story of How the Washington Nationals Won the World Series" by Jesse Dougherty last night...

It was pretty good...though I was expecting it to end as spectacularly as the Series did.  It was far better than I could do, so, no complaints...

4 of 5 stars...likely because I feel so close to the subject matter.  I'll admit that I can be pretty picky about the written word, and it doesn't take more than a blunder or two to get me spinning like Linda Blair...

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #686: July 17, 2020, 09:37:35 PM »
Read this Sandy Koufax bio recently.  Enjoyed it. It’s built around his 1965 perfect game against the Cubs. Lots of stuff I didn’t know about him.  One of my big regrets is not seeing him pitch in person.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Sandy_Koufax.html?id=vmkRr_XJlBgC&source=kp_book_description

I was just thinking I need something new to read and this sounds perfect, thanks for posting this!

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #687: July 18, 2020, 01:39:29 AM »
I just bought this book.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #688: July 18, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »
A couple of years ago John Barry, author of The Great Influenza, the Story of the Greatest Pandemic in History  came to our company as a guest speaker and I later bought and read the book.  One of the discussions we had was about how vulnerable we were now due to all the global travel and interconnected supply chains. 

Anyway I like the genre and since have read Richard Preston's "The Demon in the Freezer" focused on Smallpox and, to a lesser extent, Anthrax, and also Steven Johnson's The Ghost Map, The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How it Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World

Preston has another former #1 bestseller called The Hot Zone, (Ebola) that's probably next on my list.  So much for the much talked about pandemic fatigue.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #689: July 18, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »
I was just thinking I need something new to read and this sounds perfect, thanks for posting this!
No problem. Hope you enjoy it.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #690: July 18, 2020, 10:24:41 AM »

Online imref

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #694: July 19, 2020, 12:58:47 AM »
A couple of years ago John Barry, author of The Great Influenza, the Story of the Greatest Pandemic in History  came to our company as a guest speaker and I later bought and read the book.  One of the discussions we had was about how vulnerable we were now due to all the global travel and interconnected supply chains. 

Anyway I like the genre and since have read Richard Preston's "The Demon in the Freezer" focused on Smallpox and, to a lesser extent, Anthrax, and also Steven Johnson's The Ghost Map, The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How it Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World

Preston has another former #1 bestseller called The Hot Zone, (Ebola) that's probably next on my list.  So much for the much talked about pandemic fatigue.

The Hot Zone is terrifying and one of my favorite books ever, highly recommend.

Offline wj73

« Reply #695: July 20, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
I finished "Buzz Saw: The Improbable Story of How the Washington Nationals Won the World Series" by Jesse Dougherty last night...

It was pretty good...though I was expecting it to end as spectacularly as the Series did.  It was far better than I could do, so, no complaints...

4 of 5 stars...likely because I feel so close to the subject matter.  I'll admit that I can be pretty picky about the written word, and it doesn't take more than a blunder or two to get me spinning like Linda Blair...

I found myself savoring the chapters each post-season series so much that I wanted it to last, so I only read one chapter each night so as to stretch it out.

Online imref

« Reply #696: July 27, 2020, 11:43:48 AM »
I found myself savoring the chapters each post-season series so much that I wanted it to last, so I only read one chapter each night so as to stretch it out.

I’m about 25% through it now. Great book.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #697: April 10, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
I finished the Feinstein book Living On The Black about Mussina and Glavine. Good read as are most of his books. I have my sights set on this one once the price comes down.  Guy worked the parking lot in Veterans stadium and built himself an apartment inside where he lived for a couple years.  :hysterical:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/the-secret-apartment-vet-stadium-20210309.html

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #698: June 22, 2022, 07:06:01 PM »
Been reading a fascinating book - 'A History Of Glue'. I couldn't put it down... ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #699: October 05, 2023, 09:22:45 AM »
Has any author destroyed their credibility faster than Michael Lewis?