Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50456 times)

Offline dcpatti

Re: Book Thread
« Reply #625: January 04, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
Offer Description: Get 30% off a 12-month Kindle Unlimited subscription by using your American Express Card and promo code “AMEXKU” at checkout by 11:59 PM PST January 31, 2018.

Subscription is prepaid and ends up being $84 for 1 year. The book selection is excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/ku/retail-promotions-page/ref=as_li_ss_tl?mode=KUAmexOffers&linkCode=sl2&tag=d09c7-20&linkId=ddcdb372642924601b6a787421e490a2

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #626: January 05, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
I’ll be interested to hear about the Bacon book. Interestingly from our convo on the other thread, he wrote the definitive history of the Rich Rod years at Michigan. It was called “Three and Out.”  Gave me a different perspective and made me realize he had no chance from the beginning. He also wrote a book on the resurgence of the program. He’s a very good writer.

Cool.  I heard him interviewed on NPR on the 100th anniversary of the Halifax explosion, an event I wasn't previously aware of but he presented a very compelling story.  I previously had heard an author discussing a book and reading passages on NPR, bought the book and was rewarded with a home run - The Perfect Storm, by Sebastian Junger.   Hoping lightning will strike twice.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #627: January 05, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
There's a new #1 bestseller being released today, authored by a guy named Wolff.  Anybody know what this is about?

8)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #628: January 05, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
Offer Description: Get 30% off a 12-month Kindle Unlimited subscription by using your American Express Card and promo code “AMEXKU” at checkout by 11:59 PM PST January 31, 2018.

Subscription is prepaid and ends up being $84 for 1 year. The book selection is excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/ku/retail-promotions-page/ref=as_li_ss_tl?mode=KUAmexOffers&linkCode=sl2&tag=d09c7-20&linkId=ddcdb372642924601b6a787421e490a2

Has unlimited gotten decent? I had it a few years ago and it was mostly garbage.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #629: January 05, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
Has unlimited gotten decent? I had it a few years ago and it was mostly garbage.

It's not the same as the free kindle books each month with your Prime membership; the selection of those is pretty awful.  I'm happy with the titles on Unlimited.  They don't get the blockbuster NYT best sellers till after they've fallen off the best seller list for a while but it hasn't been hard to find stuff to read.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #630: January 05, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
It's not the same as the free kindle books each month with your Prime membership; the selection of those is pretty awful.  I'm happy with the titles on Unlimited.  They don't get the blockbuster NYT best sellers till after they've fallen off the best seller list for a while but it hasn't been hard to find stuff to read.

That what I had, I bought a month when I got my last (sadly deceased) kindle. I might have to try it again (old doesn't bother me, I just didn't like paying for access to a library full of self published and poorly formatted public domain books)

Offline wj73

« Reply #631: January 05, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
I use the county library system for free digital book downloads. Popular books may have a waitlist, but I usually get them within a month or so after I put myself on the waitlist. I usually have several books on my waitlist at any given time. It’s like a little mini Christmas morning when I get the notice that one of my waitlisted books is ready to download. I have an iPad with the Kindle app and an old Kindle, so I’ll download the book to both devices so hubby and I can read the same book at the same time.

I did splurge and bought the Kindle version of the book by that Wolff guy that came out today.  :lol:

Offline wj73

« Reply #632: January 18, 2018, 10:15:53 AM »
I'm going to be very careful in my comments about Fire and Fury because this is not in the politics section.  If the mods need to move this, so be it. 

I'll start by saying that it was an interesting read, but in more of a fun popcorn way rather than as a serious tome.  Clearly it was produced in a hurry, as there are numerous small errors (spelling, grammar, etc.) and some internal contradictions.  It has to be read with a large grain of salt. 

I didn't get a lot of new insight into the current POTUS - I think he's already pretty much an open book what with off-the-cuff remarks, speeches, and of course tweets.  The book fleshed out his portrait a bit, but all in all there wasn't anything that really startled me about Trump himself.  (Although the eating-cheeseburgers-in-bed thing was a yucky revelation.)

However, I did glean insights about many of the people Trump has chosen to surround himself with.  One of the early themes in the book is that no one on the campaign expected Trump to win, so they did little of the normal preparation that presidential campaigns usually do once the nomination is in hand.  Once he won, they scrambled.  The existing campaign staff had little to no experience in actually governing, and the infighting for influence and titles was vicious.  They had trouble hiring experienced competent staff due to strict "purity" tests (you flunked if you'd supported other candidates or ever stated concerns about Trump) combined with many regular insiders' reluctance to work for Trump.  Also, Trump and many of his staff figured that they'd won despite the "experts" so that made them smarter than everyone else and they had no need to bring in knowledgeable people.  One example of how this amateur hour played out - no one Trump trusted knew how to draft an executive order, so you have the spectacle of Stephen Miller trying to figure out it out via internet searches.  The order that Miller eventually produced was the first "Muslim ban" which was immediately and universally rejected by the courts.  A properly drafted EO may well have avoided that fate.  There were a lot of unforced errors like that simply because they were all learning on the job, but wouldn't admit that perhaps they needed to consult with people with more experience and expertise.     

I think the very fact that Wolff was permitted to wander around the West Wing for months unchallenged speaks to the lack of normal organizational process - can you imagine that happening in any previous White House?  Bringing in Kelly seems to have brought some regular order to the West Wing, but of course the uncontrolled wild card remains POTUS himself. 

All in all, I thought it was a fun gossipy read about the characters that populated the inner White House in the early months.  Learning more about those characters is especially interesting now that many of these same characters are being questioned by Congressional committees, and of course Mueller.   

Offline wj73

« Reply #633: January 22, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin.  In New York City in 1969, there are neighborhood rumors about a strange fortune teller who supposedly can forsee your exact date of death.  Four siblings aged 7 to 13 think this sounds like a great lark, and pool their allowances to get readings.  Each is told, separately, their exact date of death.  The rest of the book follows the four through their lives, and how this prophecy affects each of them. 

It sounded like an intriguing premise - how would you live your life if you knew exactly when you were going to die?  It also got some good reviews, so I decided to give it a try.  Unfortunately for me, the characters never came to life.  They were like cardboard cutouts that the author seemed to move around saying, "Hey, let's have this happen to this sibling."  And because they weren't real to me, I found it hard to care about them.  One of the siblings ended up working in a primate research lab - one of the monkeys became far more real to me than any of the characters, and I cared much more what happened to that monkey than I did about any of the characters. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #634: February 23, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
This book looks interesting.  It's by Steven Pinker called "Enlightenment Now"

https://stevenpinker.com/publications/enlightenment-now-case-reason-science-humanism-and-progress

Offline wj73

« Reply #635: March 04, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »
Revolution Song by Richard Shorto. Brand new book - I was on the pre-order list at the library for about 4 months before it finally came in.

The author takes six real people from history and relates how their lives were impacted by the Revolutionary War - a shoemaker, a Native American chief, the daughter of a British officer, an enslaved African, England’s Secretary of State, and of course George Washington - and how those lives occasionally intertwined.

Meticulously footnoted, the basic facts are there, although the author takes some liberties with extrapolating the characters’ thoughts and feeling from those facts. He also has some unique interpretations of the historical record - for instance I don’t really thing that Washington was largely responsible for igniting the French and Indian War. But overall I really enjoyed it. So much of the history we learn is based on the Great Men of history, so it was interesting to see how the Revolutionary War impacted ordinary people.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #636: March 12, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »
I just finished listening to/reading the wheel of time series. I checked my audible history and  I started in October 2015, I can’t remember anything having taken me this long to read

Offline wj73

« Reply #637: March 27, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn - psychological thriller that’s been on the NYT fiction best sellers list since it was published in January.

I read the pre- publication review in December and immediately put myself on the library waitlist. I just got it last week. It’s been heavily hyped, and apparently the movie rights have already been sold.

In a Rear Window-ish scenario, an agoraphobic psychologist watches her neighbors through their windows, with the help of her camera’s high resolution zoom lens. She became an agoraphobe due to a trauma that isn’t initially revealed, and in addition to her powerful prescribed meds, she self-medicates heavily with wine. When she thinks she witnesses one of her neighbors commit a crime, the die is cast. Did she really witness a crime, or did a combination of mental illness, meds, and copious amounts of alcohol cause a hallucination?  The rest of the book is spent untangling this mystery.

I found it a bit slow to get going, but about a quarter of the way through it picked up speed, and by the end I was turning pages as fast as I could. I enjoyed it as a popcorn read - lots of fun, but once you’re done and start thinking about it, you realize that there wasn’t a lot of nutrition there. There are several twists and turns - some I saw coming but others were a complete shock. There are also several references to old movies, including a knowing wink to Rear Window itself (the protagonist fills her days with old movies when she’s not spying on her neighbors), which provides a bit of fun.

All in all an enjoyable way to pass a few hours as long as you don’t expect great literature. It would be a great read for a long cross country flight - the flight would be over in no time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #638: March 27, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn - psychological thriller that’s been on the NYT fiction best sellers list since it was published in January.

I read the pre- publication review in December and immediately put myself on the library waitlist. I just got it last week. It’s been heavily hyped, and apparently the movie rights have already been sold.

In a Rear Window-ish scenario, an agoraphobic psychologist watches her neighbors through their windows, with the help of her camera’s high resolution zoom lens. She became an agoraphobe due to a trauma that isn’t initially revealed, and in addition to her powerful prescribed meds, she self-medicates heavily with wine. When she thinks she witnesses one of her neighbors commit a crime, the die is cast. Did she really witness a crime, or did a combination of mental illness, meds, and copious amounts of alcohol cause a hallucination?  The rest of the book is spent untangling this mystery.

I found it a bit slow to get going, but about a quarter of the way through it picked up speed, and by the end I was turning pages as fast as I could. I enjoyed it as a popcorn read - lots of fun, but once you’re done and start thinking about it, you realize that there wasn’t a lot of nutrition there. There are several twists and turns - some I saw coming but others were a complete shock. There are also several references to old movies, including a knowing wink to Rear Window itself (the protagonist fills her days with old movies when she’s not spying on her neighbors), which provides a bit of fun.

All in all an enjoyable way to pass a few hours as long as you don’t expect great literature. It would be a great read for a long cross country flight - the flight would be over in no time.

We bought our son a set of Hitchcock movies including Rear Window, your analogy is on the mark.  Great story.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #639: March 27, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
wj73 that premise sounds kind of like "girl an a train", did you read that one? Would you say they're kind of similar?

I finished Sue Kleboold's "A Mother's Reckoning" last week.  Her son was one of the Columbine killers and I don't want to get into the gun issue but I could not believe how much sympathy I felt for her, she was blindsided by this kid who she adored and who she had to come to grips with was so depressed and so full of rage and she completely missed it, it was really a devastating but fascinating read. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #640: March 27, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »
Since you brought it up (books), I'm almost done with "Smoketown".     

Offline wj73

« Reply #641: March 27, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
wj73 that premise sounds kind of like "girl an a train", did you read that one? Would you say they're kind of similar?

I finished Sue Kleboold's "A Mother's Reckoning" last week.  Her son was one of the Columbine killers and I don't want to get into the gun issue but I could not believe how much sympathy I felt for her, she was blindsided by this kid who she adored and who she had to come to grips with was so depressed and so full of rage and she completely missed it, it was really a devastating but fascinating read.

I haven’t read Girl on a Train, but several people on Good Reads noted the similarities, telling prospective readers that they’d probably like Window if they liked Train, and if they disliked Train not to bother with Window.

I saw several interviews Ms Klebold did when the book first came out and my heart broke for her pain. I’m not quite courageous enough to read it yet.

Offline wj73

« Reply #642: March 27, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
Since you brought it up (books), I'm almost done with "Smoketown".   

I didn’t know that one but looked it up and it looks fascinating. I’ll be interested to see what you think since I have a vague memory that you might have mentioned one time, in passing, that you were from the Pittsburgh area. Could be a mindfact, though.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #643: March 27, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
I didn’t know that one but looked it up and it looks fascinating. I’ll be interested to see what you think since I have a vague memory that you might have mentioned one time, in passing, that you were from the Pittsburgh area. Could be a mindfact, though.

Yes, he has mentioned, once or twice, that he's a Western PA product.  You did not mindfact that. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #644: March 27, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »

Yes, it's true.       :lol:    As a young person and musician, I was well aware of some of the great artists/sports/cultural figures, etc. who came out of W. PA generally and Pittsburgh specifically.        Of course, the great, yet mostly segregated, diversity (race and culture) of W. PA was always on a back burner.     You could walk down the street and literally smell it.   You could hear it on the radio and watch it in the sports world.   On occasion, you would enter the world of different smells, tastes and cultures but there was always a curtain.   For me, this book looks behind that curtain into Smoketown,  The Other Great Black Renaissance".     

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #645: April 23, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
I had someone who knows I'm a big sports fan ask me if I could recommend biographies on major NBA players, he specifically named Jordan and LeBron. I don't read a ton of sports biographies so I didn't have any suggestions. He's got a young son, about 7 or 8 who's really into basketball. Anyone on here have any help here?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #646: April 23, 2018, 05:10:35 PM »
Bought this on Kindle for $8.

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, by John Barry

There were a lot of things going down in 1918 and this was just one of them.  And yes, it COULD happen again.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #647: April 23, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
Bought this on Kindle for $8.

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, by John Barry

There were a lot of things going down in 1918 and this was just one of them.  And yes, it COULD happen again.
Read it a couple years ago. Daughter had it from medical school. We've come a long way but so have the diseases.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #648: April 23, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »
Read it a couple years ago. Daughter had it from medical school. We've come a long way but so have the diseases.

They actually did a decent job of trying to control the epidemic but it wilded on them. 

Barry spoke to my company last week and said that there are some societal conditions that could make the impact of a similar epidemic catastrophic.  To paraphrase:

1- Decisions by governments that won't be science based.  Cited the recent Zika outbreak and hysterical reactions that in many cases ignored recommendations by leading epidemiologists and CDC.
2- Dramatically more international travel that would cause rapid spread
3- Just in time inventory systems that require delivery of goods in a highly synchronized and timely manner in order to produce products or services.  Imagine if 20% of UPS employees are ill and another 30% are afraid to show up at work for fear of contagion, and you can see how an economy could be very damaged quickly.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #649: April 26, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
For anyone with kids who like math (or who are obsessed with infinity without really grasping it), The Cat in Numberland is awesome (I was entertaining and readable for my forest grader and me)