Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50078 times)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: Buk Reedin' Thred (Book Thread)
« Reply #350: October 10, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
Good timing bumping this thread.  There's a new Humble eBook Bundle.  Works the same as the game bundles pretty much.  Pay what you want, get DRM free ebooks, pay more than the average and get some extra ones free.  You choose what percentage of your money goes to the authors, which to Humble Bundle, and which percentage to charity.  Books should work on pretty much any eReader.  Current average purchase price is $11.59.  So if you pay $11.60 or more, you get the bonus books as well.

http://www.humblebundle.com/#contribute
Oh dammit! Humblebundle doing books now? I always whine about the price of ebooks so this is awesome. I'm definitely buying these - especially since I'm heavily interested in about half of them.

Thanks Nathan.

EDIT: Also being able to pay with my Amazon account is awesome.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #351: October 10, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
Just finished the Hunger Games. I rather enjoyed it. Reading book 2 now.

I just started reading it last night.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #352: October 10, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »
I had posted a while ago that my Kindle had broken when it fell 2 feet from my bed to my carpeted floor while I was sleeping. The kicker was that Best Buy stated I was not covered in spite of the 1 year warranty as I had not bought the extended warranty. Explanations that the extended warranty was to extend the original warranty were totally useless. The other day I realized that the 1 year was almost up, so out of desperation I called Amazon directly. I received an apology and a new Kindle free of charge. G-d bless Amazon. Man, I missed my Kindle. I got so tired of carrying my desktop from room to room.

:lol: at desktop carrying

Amazon's customer service is no joke. They make random exceptions all the time to keep customers happy. I returned a bunch of clothes well after the cutoff date and they waived the restocking fee without my even asking. The power port on my Kindle Fire broke and they replaced it no question. The baby monitor we bought there stopped working after a month and they took it back without the original box. I love Amazon.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #353: October 11, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »
I think it was you who told me to nag when Amazon dropped the price of the first generation Kindle like 3 days after I bought it...and true enough, they refunded the difference on the spot.

:lol: at desktop carrying

Amazon's customer service is no joke. They make random exceptions all the time to keep customers happy. I returned a bunch of clothes well after the cutoff date and they waived the restocking fee without my even asking. The power port on my Kindle Fire broke and they replaced it no question. The baby monitor we bought there stopped working after a month and they took it back without the original box. I love Amazon.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #354: October 11, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »
with kindles especially, amazon would rather you be happy buying content than sitting with a broken device

• babble on
« Reply #355: October 11, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
Definitely.  It's like the old Polaroid cameras that they would sell at or below cost.

with kindles especially, amazon would rather you be happy buying content than sitting with a broken device

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #356: October 11, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
I think it was you who told me to nag when Amazon dropped the price of the first generation Kindle like 3 days after I bought it...and true enough, they refunded the difference on the spot.

yes, and I want my cut

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #357: October 12, 2012, 12:33:43 AM »
Just finished the Hunger Games. I rather enjoyed it. Reading book 2 now.

You'll be disappointed.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #358: October 12, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Anyone reading J.K. Rowling's new book, Casual Vacancy?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #359: October 16, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
5 titles added to the humble bundle.

We've just added five amazing webcomic collections to our latest bundle! This includes awesome works from Penny Arcade including Attack of the Bacon Robots and Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings; two volumes from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal including Save Yourself, Mammal! and The Most Dangerous Game; and intelligent humor extravaganza xkcd: volume 0!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #360: October 19, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
Highly recommend onehundredfreebooks.com.
 I've downloaded a number of books from them. Some are OK, some not. But some are indeed good. Easy to tell within a few minutes of reading.  They have 15 new titles a day to choose from. Many are romance, but they also have mystery and thrillers. And indeed, they are FREE! For someone who goes through 2-3 books a week, I might even save enough to start smoking again!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #361: October 20, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
You'll be disappointed.

Not so far. I've enjoyed all three.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #362: October 20, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Highly recommend onehundredfreebooks.com.
 I've downloaded a number of books from them. Some are OK, some not. But some are indeed good. Easy to tell within a few minutes of reading.  They have 15 new titles a day to choose from. Many are romance, but they also have mystery and thrillers. And indeed, they are FREE! For someone who goes through 2-3 books a week, I might even save enough to start smoking again!

No,any savings should be put toward MORE NATS TICKETS!  Dont smoke!  I know the Yankees losing is depressing (except to me!)but DONT DO IT!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #363: October 20, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
It sucks that when a movie comes out the book price gets jacked up. I want to read Cloud Atlas. but the library is all checked out of both the ebook and the regular book, the kindle book costs 12 bucks, and the paperback costs 9 :bang:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #364: October 30, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »
Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King... the first King novel I've read.

I'm pretty mixed about this book. On one hand, it mixes two things I really enjoy: sci-fi and the 50s/60s. It was very well-researched and King paints a good portrait of the early 60s, something that I sunk into quite easily. The writing style is also very easy and smooth, and makes for a quick read despite the page length. And the story itself, during it's best moments, made it hard to put this book down at times. However, it's not all roses. This book has WAY more pages than it needed, especially towards the end, as King tends to go on and on and on at times. The suspense at times just hangs slack at times, feeling like King tried to stretch tense scenes as much as he could and ended up boring me instead. The main character can be boring at times too. And some of the outcomes/endings are just... predictable. Not bad, just predictable.

All in all, it was a decent book, and most of the time it really drew me in. I finished it in little over a week which is very quick for me. It's a book BEGGING to be turned into a movie, and apparently it will be. I have no idea how they'll pull it off, they have to cut at least half the content.

And on the audio-book (got this book on tape): not terrible, but not seamless. You can tell when each recording session ended, and every once in a while it sounds like the reader got a cold for 2 or 3 sentences. However it's fine to listen to when cleaning, crafting, or commuting.

... which makes me wonder. Can someone get Charlie Slowes to make an audio-book? I'd buy the crap out of that.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #365: October 31, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »
Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King... the first King novel I've read.

I'm pretty mixed about this book. On one hand, it mixes two things I really enjoy: sci-fi and the 50s/60s. It was very well-researched and King paints a good portrait of the early 60s, something that I sunk into quite easily. The writing style is also very easy and smooth, and makes for a quick read despite the page length. And the story itself, during it's best moments, made it hard to put this book down at times. However, it's not all roses. This book has WAY more pages than it needed, especially towards the end, as King tends to go on and on and on at times. The suspense at times just hangs slack at times, feeling like King tried to stretch tense scenes as much as he could and ended up boring me instead. The main character can be boring at times too. And some of the outcomes/endings are just... predictable. Not bad, just predictable.

All in all, it was a decent book, and most of the time it really drew me in. I finished it in little over a week which is very quick for me. It's a book BEGGING to be turned into a movie, and apparently it will be. I have no idea how they'll pull it off, they have to cut at least half the content.

And on the audio-book (got this book on tape): not terrible, but not seamless. You can tell when each recording session ended, and every once in a while it sounds like the reader got a cold for 2 or 3 sentences. However it's fine to listen to when cleaning, crafting, or commuting.

... which makes me wonder. Can someone get Charlie Slowes to make an audio-book? I'd buy the crap out of that.

I got it for Christmas last year and loved it. My wife also has read most of it and loved it. I've read a lot of King, probably 20 or so of his books and this is one of my faves, up there with Misery and the Dark Half. I also agree that it would make a great movie, but it needs to have the right cast. Hopefully it gets the kind of treatment that The Green Mile or Shawshank got.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #366: October 31, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »
Any suggestions on Star Wars books that follow closely with the movie series, especially the original trio?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #367: October 31, 2012, 12:40:20 AM »
I read the kindle sample of Casual Vacancy.  It seems like she's trying too hard to be "not Harry Potter" and show that it's for adults.  Lots of swearing, talking about tits and a kid seeing some other girl's "pink vulva," masturbating, and saying things like "he was left with an ache in his heart, and also his balls."

Seems too forced IMO.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #368: October 31, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
I got it for Christmas last year and loved it. My wife also has read most of it and loved it. I've read a lot of King, probably 20 or so of his books and this is one of my faves, up there with Misery and the Dark Half. I also agree that it would make a great movie, but it needs to have the right cast. Hopefully it gets the kind of treatment that The Green Mile or Shawshank got.

I do hope it gets a good movie treatment, it deserves it. Just don't know how they'll fit it into a reasonable movie length.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #369: October 31, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
"he was left with an ache in his heart, and also his balls."

Pretty sure that was my Sigma Nu pledge motto.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #370: October 31, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »
Any suggestions on Star Wars books that follow closely with the movie series, especially the original trio?

Start with the Zahn series. It takes place after the original trio. Much better than the prequels. I'm not huge on all the expanded universe stuff but this series was great.

http://www.amazon.com/Heir-Empire-Star-Wars-Trilogy/dp/0553296124

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #371: October 31, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
I read the kindle sample of Casual Vacancy.  It seems like she's trying too hard to be "not Harry Potter" and show that it's for adults.  Lots of swearing, talking about tits and a kid seeing some other girl's "pink vulva," masturbating, and saying things like "he was left with an ache in his heart, and also his balls."

Seems too forced IMO.

That sounds terrible. Hope she wins the Bad Sex Award because that would be hilarious.

• babble on
« Reply #372: October 31, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
John Updike owns that award

That sounds terrible. Hope she wins the Bad Sex Award because that would be hilarious.

• babble on
« Reply #373: October 31, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
Having a kindle is dangerous when you listen to Diane Rehm every day...every time she has had an author on her show plugging their new book, I've bought it on the spot.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #374: October 31, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »
I got the new Halo book. I'll let you know how it is next week. Reading it on my trip to Alaska