Author Topic: Strasburg TJ surgery & ongoing recovery news  (Read 21518 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Sure, let's just swap the Zmen(n) and see what happens...

... shouldn't do that.   We might lose 100 games.

Offline saltydad

Since most of my trips out involve my Mom being there too and she doesn't drive anymore, I'm always the designated driver. I loved it on a recent trip to Massachusetts when I could let go at a party. Still, only had a 6-pack of Old Brown Dog and a few hard ciders.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I heard that Zimermann played a pretty decent third base in high school.

:worship:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Will Carroll, Baseball Prospectus, August 30.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11875

Looking for a Strasburg Scapegoat

Stephen Strasburg (sprained elbow, ERD 10/4)
As Strasburg heads west to have Tommy John surgery, everyone is looking to point fingers. The "inverted W," an invention of Chris O'Leary, a "modified Marshallite," is, we must remember, purported to be an indication of shoulder problems. The White Sox' Don Cooper, one of the best pitching coaches around when it comes to results, is being quoted out of context in many cases. Remember, he was speaking just after Strasburg was removed before a start due to tightness in his shoulder. I think the money quote in that article is from Stan Conte of the Dodgers, saying, "Has anybody spotted a common thread? No. It's all to be discovered." That discovery is more likely to come from scientific studies and biomechanical analysis than it is from grainy, unlicensed videos and guesswork. As for Strasburg, he's having the surgery with Lewis Yocum for several reasons. First and foremost, Yocum is one of the best in the business. The Nats seem to prefer Yocum—Yocum's work on Jordan Zimmermann was noted by many—and Yocum's base at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles allows Strasburg to be close enough to check in regularly as he lives in San Diego. There's still some question about how—or rather who—will be handling Strasburg's rehab. Some sources indicate that it will be done at the Boras Sports Training Institute in Newport Beach, California, which makes sense. Others say it will be done at the Nats' facility in Viera, Florida, which makes more sense come January or February and spring training draws near.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
A collection of quotes compiled by Alex Carnavale, BP:

NEXT TIME YOU HEAR CLICKING, REPORT TO THE TRAINER

"The weird thing about it, that last game, that was when everything started to click. That was when I had that feeling. That was a packed house with some rowdy fans, and I didn't feel like they were there. I was just so locked in, and everything was working. Sure enough, something happened. But that's something to build on. Tomorrow, I'm just going to write down on a piece of paper everything that I'm thinking right now and look at it a year from now."
—Nationals rookie right-hander Stephen Strasburg, on injuring his elbow and requiring Tommy John surgery.

"I want to be the best at everything. Right now, I'm going to be the best at rehabbing and getting back out here."
—Strasburg

"I'm not a doctor, and I haven't read the MRI yet, but I'm pretty sure he's gonna come back fine. And for me, if you can throw the next day, then you probably could have continued out there on the baseball field. So are they a little bit overcautious at this point? Maybe. But he's a $15 million investment. I absolutely can't blame them for taking him out. But here's the thing. If this was happening to this kid in college and you knew that, then you also knew that he can pitch through this stuff. So a little bit is, OK, let's see this kid pitch through it."
—Nationals broadcaster Rob Dibble before Strasburg's diagnosis.

"It was surprising. Stephen felt good. He felt like he could continue to throw after it happened That's not unusual among elite athletes who have strength and flexibility beyond the norm. Obviously, it's really disappointing as far as what his current plan was. We sat down, had to map out a new focus for the next 12 months. We'll consult with some doctors and develop a plan to get this resolved. We've got high probability for a successful return."
—Scott Boras, Strasburg's agent.

"The plan that Mike Rizzo and Stephen and I sat down and devised was exactly what the Nationals did. There's no issue as to anything about the plan. This is just an unfortunate even that occurs with pitchers. It happened with one pitch. There's no notice to any of this. As far as Stephen's treatment and the conservatism applied by all of us, it was done in the greatest of caution."
—Boras. (Adam Kilgore, Washington Post)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
any word on the 2nd opinion Strasburg was supposed to get on Saturday?

Offline imref

Nice read.

so basically he's faking the injury to be closer to home. :)

Offline Ray D

any word on the 2nd opinion Strasburg was supposed to get on Saturday?
Second opinions never contradict first opinions. People faced with surgery always get a second opinion, for peace of mind that they are doing the right thing.

Offline imref

Offline hammondsnats

I've heard great things about Yocum...I'm being serious he is one of the best @ this practice.

Offline imref

Per Kilgore, the operation is this friday.

Fingers crossed to see him on the mound next September in D.C.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Re: UPDATED 8/27 - FML - Strasburg needs TJ Surgery
« Reply #562: September 01, 2010, 03:00:32 PM »
I wonder whether Strasburg's arm is insured. Surely it's worth as much as a football player's hair.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #563: September 01, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »
Per Kilgore, the operation is this friday.

Fingers crossed to see him on the mound next September in D.C.
No way. I'd rather right now say he isn't pitching next year and take his recovery as slowly as possible.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #564: September 01, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
Maybe some rehab in the AFL next fall.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #565: September 02, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
I wonder whether Strasburg's arm is insured. Surely it's worth as much as a football player's hair.

I'd venture to say that I wouldn't have taken the odds on his arm :(

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #566: September 02, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »

I've read that teams can't insure pitchers anymore, the premiums are so high they make the insurance pointless.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/71425

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #567: September 03, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »
I don't recall them every saying someone had unsuccessful surgery but good to have this done.

Stephen Strasburg had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow today in Los Angeles, and according to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo the rookie pitcher came out of the procedure "with flying colors."

"It went smooth and uneventful," Rizzo said before the Nats' game against the Pirates.

http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/09/strasburg-surgery-successful.html

Offline Coladar

« Reply #568: September 03, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
It's sad to think that as of now, it's officially at least 19 months until we see Strasburg back. They won't rush him back for two starts next Sept. Before the surgery, you kept hoping it'd be some misreading of the MRI led to a horrible mistake. Well, at least I did.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #569: September 03, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
I don't know...   I think if it has to happen, this is the best time for it to happen.  Now they have no pressure to bring him back at all next year and can take their time with his recovery and reconditioning in preparation for a meaningful ( :pray: ) 2012 season.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #570: September 03, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
"Strasburg will remain in the Los Angeles hospital overnight, then will return to his home in San Diego, where he will immediately begin physical therapy at the nearby Scripps Clinic."

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

i lift there...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #571: September 03, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »
"Strasburg will remain in the Los Angeles hospital overnight, then will return to his home in San Diego, where he will immediately begin physical therapy at the nearby Scripps Clinic."

i lift there...

Stalker Alert!! :panic:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #572: September 03, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »
If we find out Strasburg likes to do funny stuff with rodents, we'll know Chemist is on the case.

BTW - I miss Zoidberg.  I've got a hankering for a D'Angelos lobster salad sub.

Offline imref

« Reply #573: September 03, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »

i lift there...

ask him what he thinks of Dibble. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #574: September 03, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »

http://www.nationalsenquirer.com/2010/09/stephen-strasburg-successful-tommy-john-surgery.html

Stephen Strasburg has most phenomenal Tommy John surgery in the history of mankind.

there's no truth to the rumor that he performed it on himself.