Author Topic: Mark Lerner Cannot Catch.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Mark Lerner Cannot Catch.
« Reply #25: May 21, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
Anyone who thinks Mark Cuban or the Maloof brothers don't shoot around with their team on occasion are crazy.  Not once the gates are open of course, but in the informal shoot around a couple of hours before the game.  That's a lot closer to what BP is than the lay-up drills right before the game starts.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #26: May 21, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
What's wrong with an owner shagging fly balls?

Celebs work out with teams all the time during ST.

Hell, Garth Brooks and Billy Crystal have actually played in ST games.

It's not like he's hurting anyone (but himself) by going out there and catching a few pop flies.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #27: May 21, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
I have no problem with him shagging fly balls with his team ... in fact a lot of owners do similar things with their teams. 

Offline Natskins

« Reply #28: May 21, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »
I'd rather Lerner playing ball player and shagging fly balls than Snyder playing GM and screwing up a franchise.

I completely agree...and Snyder HAS ruined the Redskins in many respects. He's been a terrible owner in a lot of ways. But putting that aside for a moment...I'm purely focusing on this story about Mark Lerner.

My point is, everything Snyder does is magnified and turned into a soap opera. Seriously, if Snyder had suited up in a Skins uniform and fielded punts, or did whatever you'd consider to be the football equivalent of shagging fly balls, we'd never hear the end of it. There's a double standard when it comes to media coverage/fan reaction to him.

I'm not defending his football-decision making at all, because he shouldn't be making football decisions in the first place. But I'm just trying to imagine the national **** storm that would ensue if Snyder had been fielding punts before a game wearing a Skins uniform. You can't tell me that Mike & Mike wouldn't be wringing their hands over it for a week.

And for the record, I really don't have much of a problem with Lerner doing this. I'm just pointing out why I see as a double standard, that's all.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: May 21, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
Fielding punts isn't an equivalent, playing catch with the back-up QB before the team changes into their pads is closer. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #30: May 21, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
Fielding punts isn't an equivalent, playing catch with the back-up QB before the team changes into their pads is closer. 

Right. BP would be equal to the time before the football players even put their pads on. It's a relaxed environment.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: May 21, 2010, 12:54:38 PM »
I'd rather Lerner playing ball player and shagging fly balls than Snyder playing GM and screwing up a franchise. Can any of you say that if you were in a position to own a team, you wouldn't do the same thing? Why own a team if you can't have some fun?

Snyder fired Marty Schottenheimer precisely because he said "he wasn't having any fun" so I'm sure Snyder would agree with you on why own a team if you can't have some fun.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #32: May 21, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »

Fine, that's why I said:

Seriously, if Snyder had suited up in a Skins uniform and fielded punts, or did whatever you'd consider to be the football equivalent of shagging fly balls, we'd never hear the end of it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #33: May 21, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
I think he should stick to running the bases on Sundays.

I'll bet Screech's Best Friend was there within seconds, holding Lerner's head on his lap and mopping up the blood like Florence Nightingale.

:clap:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: May 21, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
Fine, that's why I said:
I know what you said.  I don't know much about Snyder or if he'd interract with his team like that, but it's happened before with NFL teams, probably even in DC and probably happens every week somewhere.

Offline Natskins

« Reply #35: May 21, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »
I know what you said.  I don't know much about Snyder or if he'd interract with his team like that, but it's happened before with NFL teams, probably even in DC and probably happens every week somewhere.

Perhaps, but if SportsCenter got ahold of video of Snyder tossing a football with a backup QB before a game, I'm thinking it would become national news, or at least a national punchline.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #36: May 21, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »

1981: then-Baltimore Colts owner Robert Irsay calls a play for Mike McCormick against the Eagles. Don't recall how the play went, but the Colts lost big, 38-13.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #37: May 21, 2010, 01:10:04 PM »
1981: then-Baltimore Colts owner Robert Irsay calls a play for Mike McCormick against the Eagles. Don't recall how the play went, but the Colts lost big, 38-13.
that's a different situation altogether.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: May 21, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
I would take BP, but I sure as hell wouldn't wear a team uniform.

Anyway, I don't know much about Lerner but it is encouraging to know that he enjoys baseball.

The uniform thing is what makes it bad. If he wanted to shag flies in shorts and a T-shirt,more power to him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: May 21, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
The uniform thing is what makes it bad. If he wanted to shag flies in shorts and a T-shirt,more power to him.

was he really in full uniform, or did he just have a jersey?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #40: May 21, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »
Does he have a locker?
no but he has a race car bed

Offline Dave B

« Reply #41: May 21, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
I suppose you don't see Mark Cuban taking foul shots.

he shouldnt be out there with the team

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #42: May 21, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
I think he should stick to running the bases on Sundays.

:lol: +1

I have no problem with him out there shagging balls with the team, hell as many already mentioned I'd prob take some BP of Livo or something. Wearing a full team uni is what gets me, just make him look like a turd IMO. I could care less since he owns the team it's his prerogative.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #43: May 21, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: May 21, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
was he really in full uniform, or did he just have a jersey?

The picture I posted on page one is the only one I've been able to find. Full uni, arm band, batting glove. Dude's ready to ROCK AND ROLL!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #45: May 21, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »
he shouldnt be out there with the team

I picked an overly involved owner, and he still doesn't wear a uniform. I'm agreeing with you, sir.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #46: May 21, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
I'd rather Lerner playing ball player and shagging fly balls than Snyder playing GM and screwing up a franchise. Can any of you say that if you were in a position to own a team, you wouldn't do the same thing? Why own a team if you can't have some fun?
I absolutely agree. And is he supposed to shag flies in a coat and tie? Not only would I shag flies but I would take batting practice with Livo throwing.Did anyone take into account the sun setting in the west? Give the guy a break.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #47: May 21, 2010, 02:49:49 PM »
Sorry CJames I didn't read your thread when I posted. As they say great minds think alike.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #48: May 21, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
I don't see why this is a big deal. it is his team, he can do whatever the freak he wants.

sounds to me like since the team is doing better, people are overreaching for any and all excuses to continue hating the Lerners just because.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #49: May 21, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
Shagging fly balls? Whatever

Dressing in a full out uniform?  :crazy: