Author Topic: Mark Lerner Cannot Catch.  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Mark Lerner Cannot Catch.
« Topic Start: May 20, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
Nationals principal owner Mark Lerner received stitches this evening after an unfortunate moment during today's batting practice.

Lerner, as he occasionally does, was shagging fly balls in full Nationals uniform alongside his team. Standing in right field, where the sun made it difficult to see, Lerner settled under a fly ball. The ball barely glanced off his glove and drilled Lerner, 56, on the bridge of his nose, right between the eyes.

"I've never seen blood gush that fast out of someone," said one Nationals player.

A trainer rushed to his aid, and Lerner had to be walked off the field with a towel held to his bleeding forehead. Lerner, happily, is doing fine now.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/05/mark_lerners_batting_practice.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Mark Lerner Cannot Catch.
« Reply #1: May 20, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
Maybe he'll get pissed off and sell the team now.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: May 20, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/05/mark_lerners_batting_practice.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

just run the team (not craptily) jackass.  this just makes him seem more like daddy's boy in a job he is not qualified for. what a freakin clown. he puts on a uniform? jesus christ. just sign (or dont sign) checks. put on your hat and freaking windbreaker and sit just to the first base side of homeplate in the presidential seats you cant sell

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: May 20, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »
Ok the uniform is a bit much. I don't like to see anyone get hurt.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: May 20, 2010, 09:27:14 PM »
I need to see pictures of this moron in a Nats uniform with a bloody nose.  :lmao:  Maybe he thought he could sue somebody.  :|

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: May 20, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »
Ok the uniform is a bit much. I don't like to see anyone get hurt.

getting yourself hurt while getting in over your head by being a fanboy: no sympathy from me

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: May 21, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »
Lerner, as he occasionally does, was shagging fly balls in full Nationals uniform alongside his team.

" But Daddy, All the kids get to do it"

note: he's wearing a batting glove.  :crackup:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #7: May 21, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »
Hope he puts on his Phiten necklace so that his face heals faster.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: May 21, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »
Should have worn a Phillie uni.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: May 21, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
" But Daddy, All the kids get to do it"

(Image removed from quote.)

note: he's wearing a batting glove.  :crackup:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #10: May 21, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »
Should have worn a Phillie uni.

He might be sharing Kasten's dirty little secret. Thankfully one cannot tell from that photo.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #11: May 21, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
What a goof, seriously. I might have a little more respect for him if he gets back out there to shag balls tomorrow but ditches the uni and the batting glove under the mitt.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #12: May 21, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »
Does he have a locker?

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: May 21, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
What a goof, seriously. I might have a little more respect for him if he gets back out there to shag balls tomorrow but ditches the uni and the batting glove under the mitt.

I think he should stick to running the bases on Sundays.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #14: May 21, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »
I'll bet Screech's Best Friend was there within seconds, holding Lerner's head on his lap and mopping up the blood like Florence Nightingale.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #15: May 21, 2010, 10:07:20 AM »
getting yourself hurt while getting in over your head by being a fanboy: no sympathy from me

I suppose you don't see Mark Cuban taking foul shots.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: May 21, 2010, 10:14:41 AM »
I've taken a couple off the face before.  It sucks.

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: May 21, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
I suppose you don't see Mark Cuban taking foul shots.

In a Mavericks uni?

Offline Natskins

Lerner, as he occasionally does, was shagging fly balls in full Nationals uniform alongside his team. Standing in right field, where the sun made it difficult to see, Lerner settled under a fly ball. The ball barely glanced off his glove and drilled Lerner, 56, on the bridge of his nose, right between the eyes.

I guess I wasn't aware of this practice by Mark Lerner. Anyway, read the sentence below. And then read the sentence below it, with a few key words replaced. What kind of reaction from the masses/SportsCenter/fans/etc. would there be if the second sentence had been true? It's interesting how the first one isn't even a blip on the radar, while the second would result in the national sports media going into full meltdown mode.

Lerner, as he occasionally does, was shagging fly balls in full Nationals uniform alongside his team.

Snyder, as he occasionally does, was fielding punts in full Redskins uniform alongside his team.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #19: May 21, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
I guess I wasn't aware of this practice by Mark Lerner. Anyway, read the sentence below. And then read the sentence below it, with a few key words replaced. What kind of reaction from the masses/SportsCenter/fans/etc. would there be if the second sentence had been true? It's interesting how the first one isn't even a blip on the radar, while the second would result in the national sports media going into full meltdown mode.

The Lerners haven't gotten quite the Snyder reputation...not yet anyway - also the Redskins are still more iconic in this area than the Nationals, so anything involving them would get more coverage and more reaction. (But Snyder on kick-off or punt returns would be fun to watch, though.)

But let's complete the local sports' owners Walter Mitty moments:

Chang, as he occasionally does, was practising corner kicks in full DC United uniform alongside his team.

...or to give the ladies equal time:

Hendricks, as she occasionally does, was practising corner kicks in full Freedom uniform alongside her team.

...now let's get really vivid with our imaginations:

Leonsis, as he occasionally does, was practising the penalty-kill in full Capitals uniform alongside his team.

...or even more preposterous:

Leonsis, as he occasionally does, was doing layup drills in full Wizards uniform alongside his team.

...or how about the piece de resistance:

Leonsis, as he occasionally does, was practising the pick-and-roll in full Mystics uniform alongside his team.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: May 21, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
I'd rather Lerner playing ball player and shagging fly balls than Snyder playing GM and screwing up a franchise. Can any of you say that if you were in a position to own a team, you wouldn't do the same thing? Why own a team if you can't have some fun?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: May 21, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one then that doesn't think it's a big deal, other than the face contusion part of it.  I think you'd be suprised how often players kids and such are out there, in uniform, shagging flies during BP.  He's got the opportunity to do it, so he took advantage of it.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #22: May 21, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
I'd rather Lerner playing ball player and shagging fly balls than Snyder playing GM and screwing up a franchise. Can any of you say that if you were in a position to own a team, you wouldn't do the same thing?

I would take BP, but I sure as hell wouldn't wear a team uniform.

Anyway, I don't know much about Lerner but it is encouraging to know that he enjoys baseball.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: May 21, 2010, 12:24:08 PM »
I'm with HalfSmokes and DPM...  I'd damn sure play beer league in the park whenever I felt like it if I owned my own team.  Doing it alongside the team in full uniform is pretty dorky, but y'know, whatever.  If I were old and had a crapload of money I wouldn't care what anyone thought either.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: May 21, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
The owner of the P-Nats, Art Silber, coaches first base once a week, and I'm not talking during practice, either.