Author Topic: Our Minor League Parks  (Read 18268 times)

Offline RobRyan

• Radio Voice of the VT LM
Re: Our Minor League Parks
« Reply #25: April 23, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
It's NY-Penn, so I think you'd try to find a place up there.  If RobRyan is sitll around - isn't there an old Superfund site in Burlington, maybe a ship canal?  Do they have much of a brownfields program for reuisng contmainated inustrial sites?  It sounds weird, but ball parks are a great reuse of these sites because they are not residential and can cap drainage.  Lowell's park is built over an old ash dump.

My apartment is downtown by the old sailing center.  They just posted public meeting notices about re-developing that land for a new skate park, and other lake front beautifications.  This is really the only spot I could see a ball park fitting, and clearly the use for that is not there.

The owner of the Monsters own Lake Champlain Ferries... he has money.  That's where the rub comes from him asking for money for a park to be built.  I COMPLETELY understand him not wanting to pay to fix UVMs property (Centennial), but I also get the city and state saying "umm, no," for him to build something.

NOW, there is an "X Factor" in all of this, and that's Centennial Field's age.  It's a historical landmark.  Through the historical committees they're trying to get some of the funding for upgrades, or at least block plans for doing something ELSE other than a baseball field (a hot rumor is UVM building student housing on the grounds.) 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: April 23, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
I'm stupid. how did I forget that a league with Pennsylvania in its name would have teams in Pennsylvania :doh:

They have 3 divisions because the teams have spread out so much, into Ohio, Mass, and VT, for instance.

Carlisle could play Williamsport and State College, quite often. Williamsport and State College sometimes play alternate days home-and-home, as the drive is under 90 mins.

« Reply #27: April 23, 2010, 12:41:58 PM »
No matter how bad it gets, I'll always love it as I attended my first professional baseball game there way back when they were the Prince William Cannons.  Cheap seats and good promotions have kept me coming back, though I have yet to make it out this year to check out the new scoreboard.

Oh, I actually love it too. It is like some dirty, seedy beer dive. I definitely have to hit a few more games this year.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: April 23, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
yeah i'm hoping to make it to harrisburg ASAP. 

but then again i've seen plenty of minor league ball over the years @ nats park in the form of the nationals.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #29: April 23, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »
SEC baseball teams wouldn't play in a few of those places.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #30: April 24, 2010, 12:38:02 AM »
The Pfitz is an absolute craphole which actually is part of it's charm. I do hear they very recently got a new scoreboard.

I was there for opening night (well, actually the 2nd opening night since the first one was rained out) and the crappy scoreboard is still there, the staffer I spoke to said they hoped to see the new board in May.

There are two nice things I can say about Pfitz:

1. the fireworks show on Saturdays is spectacular
2. they now have a Ben's Chili Bowl by the 3rd base gate

And one more nice thing, the staff really seems to enjoy their jobs.   I don't know, as much as I'd like to see a nicer stadium Pfitz has sort of a strange charm.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #31: April 24, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »
How about a park in north central MD.  Within 10 miles of a Roy's ;)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #32: April 24, 2010, 09:54:34 AM »
How about a park in north central MD.  Within 10 miles of a Roy's ;)

I THINK there's a 30 mile home plate-to-home plate minimum distance requirement. Not sure how Potomac and DC works, maybe a waiver.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #33: May 13, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »
Now that I've seen Alliance Bank Park more and more, it looks like a lovely park. 

I'm still amazed at the differences between MLB and AAA parks though. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #34: May 20, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
I'm heading up to Vermont the last week in July and plan to take in a couple of Lake Monsters games. Thanks Rob for the heads up that the Lake Monsters may be in their last season up there.  I'll be interested to see the ballpark and pick up a t-shirt or two!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #35: May 20, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
Now that I've seen Alliance Bank Park more and more, it looks like a lovely park. 

I'm still amazed at the differences between MLB and AAA parks though. 

Depends on the AAA park.  Buffalo has an amazing AAA park - very close to major league quality.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #36: May 20, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
I like the Hagerstown ball field.  Well to be honest I like the beer garden area.  Grab a beer and stand next to the fence along the left field foul line.  Great way to watch a game

Offline wj73

« Reply #37: May 21, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
I agree - the Suns beer garden is a nice touch.  And those big beers are really cheap by ballpark standards.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #38: May 21, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »
If anyone wants to catch the Lake Monsters without driving to VT, they have a 3 game series in State College this season. They have a beautiful new ballpark right next to Beaver Stadium with really good food, amazing view of the mountains, and a super nicely kept field.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/schedule/index.jsp?sid=t1174&m=07&y=2010

After Aberdeen (which is usually totally sold out), it's probably the closest NYPL park to DC. And they have fried twinkies.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: May 21, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
I'm going to Delmarva to see the HAGERSTOWN Suns take on the Shorebirds on Monday June 7 (draft night).  I can't wait.  Hope to meet some of our young prospects too.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #40: May 21, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
I'm going to Delmarva to see the Harrisburg Hagersburg Suns take on the Shorebirds on Monday June 7 (draft night).  I can't wait.  Hope to meet some of our young prospects too.

Nice.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #41: May 21, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
Nice.
hahahaahahah wow that's the first time i've ever done that.  good catch.

Offline blue911

« Reply #42: May 21, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »
I'm going to Delmarva to see the HAGERSTOWN Suns take on the Shorebirds on Monday June 7 (draft night).  I can't wait.  Hope to meet some of our young prospects too.

Take some pictures of the Park. I plan on moving over there in a couple of years. If the ballpark sucks, I'll have to revise my plans.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #43: May 21, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Take some pictures of the Park. I plan on moving over there in a couple of years. If the ballpark sucks, I'll have to revise my plans.

Delmarva?  I've always liked their ballpark.  Better than some other Sally clubs parks.

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/delmarva/delmarva.htm

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: May 21, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »
Delmarva?  I've always liked their ballpark.  Better than some other Sally clubs parks.

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/delmarva/delmarva.htm

Man, beats the crap out of the Pfitz.

Offline RobRyan

• Radio Voice of the VT LM
« Reply #45: May 23, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
I'm heading up to Vermont the last week in July and plan to take in a couple of Lake Monsters games. Thanks Rob for the heads up that the Lake Monsters may be in their last season up there.  I'll be interested to see the ballpark and pick up a t-shirt or two!

Stop up in the booth and say hi!

Offline RL04

« Reply #46: May 24, 2010, 12:05:14 AM »
Since I have my kids again this summer I thought, besides a Nats game, I'd take them to a Potomac game.
But when I researched it, I saw that it was a dump ... with metal "football stadium" benches.
Like someone said, as bad as a high school field.

Dutchess Stadium in New York is single 'A' also but is much nicer:

We're also going to be in Pennsylvania so I might take 'em to a game at Harrisburg.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #47: May 24, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
Since I have my kids again this summer I thought, besides a Nats game, I'd take them to a Potomac game.
But when I researched it, I saw that it was a dump ... with metal "football stadium" benches.

Personally, I wouldn't let the quality of the ballpark determine if I want to see a game at Potomac or not.  You sit very close to the field, and the team's very competitive generally.  And, it's our high A affiliate, so there are future Nats to be seen. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #48: May 24, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »

Dutchess Stadium in New York is single 'A' also but is much nicer:

We're also going to be in Pennsylvania so I might take 'em to a game at Harrisburg.

Looks just like the stadium in state college, but 10 years older. So imagine it with a state-of-the-art scoreboard. I hear the renovations in Harrisburg are pretty great.

You could theoretically hit Harrisburg, State College, Altoona, and Williamsport without much trouble at all.

That's Medlar Field. Pretty sure they use the Penn State grass blend, because the field is pristine at all times.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #49: May 24, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »
That looks so much like a mini Nationals Park.