Author Topic: The playoff chase  (Read 1481 times)

Offline rileyn

The playoff chase
« Topic Start: July 17, 2005, 05:17:53 PM »
We are scuffling, no doubt.  Losing 8 of 11 sucks, but the fact remains that we still have a 5 1/2 game lead in the wild card chase.  It is ours to lose.  (I realize we still lead in the NL East, but I'm looking at our just getting in via wild card).

The Phillies right now are only 5 1/2 behind us and it figures that they would be closing in.  They are in the middle of a stretch where they play 22 of 29 games at home.  This is their time to make hay so they better take advantage of it.  

The Cubs, Mets, Marlins, Astros and Brewers are the only other teams that seem to have a shot at catching.  All except the Brewers are capable of getting hot but we are helped by the fact that they will have to leap frog over each other.  

We need to survive this month.  Win at least 5 of 7 on the homestand and take at least 1 game against Atlanta next week, and I think we will have weathered the storm.

The schedule looks good in September with many games at RFK so if we can stay in contention, I like our chances.

(I can't believe I'm saying this after watching us play this weekend, but I'm trying to remain positive).

FSN hates us

Re: The playoff chase
« Reply #1: July 17, 2005, 05:42:02 PM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
The Cubs, Mets, Marlins, Astros and Brewers are the only other teams that seem to have a shot at catching.  All except the Brewers are capable of getting hot but we are helped by the fact that they will have to leap frog over each other.  

Why's that?  The Brewers have some of the better pitching in the league.  If the offense turns it up, which it very well could with Jenkins getting hot, why can't the Brewers get hot and make a run?

I'm not saying we will get the Wild Card, or that we even have an OK chance at the Wild Card, I just found it odd that you deemed the Brewers to be the only team that couldn't put a good run together.

And just to keep this on topic, I think the Nationals' best chance at the playoffs is the wild card.  Atlanta will probably win the division for a record 9 millionth time in a row.  :roll:

I just don't see you guys holding on, you're still being outscored for the season and that never bodes well for postseason chances.  I think you'll come down to Earth a bit, but if your offense can produce enough you'll have a good shot at that Wild Card.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: July 17, 2005, 06:41:52 PM »
All except the Brewers are capable of getting hot but we are helped by the fact that they will have to leap frog over each other.

I have no idea what you're looking at in making your calculations, but after watching the Brewers for four games, they have more potential than any of the teams you named. They have pitching and hitting and they are all working right now. They have 10 wins in their last 15 games and with Turnbow finding his fastball, he's gonna put up some impressive numbers.

You need to taking everything Boswell says as though it was the "holy word". Games aren't won or lost on paper, they are played (as we all saw this weekend) on the field. If the Nats keep on playing like they have been this weekend, they wont even be close to a wild card birth.

The Nats are home for the next 7 games and if they're to stay in the race, anything less than 6 wins is not acceptable. Why? Because after their home stand, they start their road trip with 3 games against the Braves (they need to win at least 2 in that series) before heading to Florida to play the Marlins.

Offline rileyn

The playoff chase
« Reply #3: July 17, 2005, 08:11:32 PM »
I'll tell you what, if the Brewers finish higher than the Astros and Cubs in the Central I will eat my words.  Until then, they are just a team that plays decent at home and scraped out 3 wins this weekend against us (and we played about as poorly as possible).

They are not a threat.  Next.

bramos

« Reply #4: July 17, 2005, 08:57:39 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
All except the Brewers are capable of getting hot but we are helped by the fact that they will have to leap frog over each other.

I have no idea what you're looking at in making your calculations, but after watching the Brewers for four games, they have more potential than any of the teams you named. They have pitching and hitting and they are all working right now. They have 10 wins in their last 15 games and with Turnbow finding his fastball, he's gonna put up some impressive numbers.

You need to taking everything Boswell says as though it was the "holy word". Games aren't won or lost on paper, they are played (as we all saw this weekend) on the field. If the Nats keep on playing like they have been this weekend, they wont even be close to a wild card birth.

The Nats are home for the next 7 games and if they're to stay in the race, anything less than 6 wins is not acceptable. Why? Because after their home stand, they start their road trip with 3 games against the Braves (they need to win at least 2 in that series) before heading to Florida to play the Marlins.

I agree.  On paper, and man-to-man, the Brewers compare very favourably with the Nats.  And, unfortunately, we're starting to look like the middle-of-the-road team everyone insists we are.  Nonetheless, I'm predicting Preston Wilson to make a big impact over the next couple of weeks.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
The playoff chase
« Reply #5: July 17, 2005, 09:28:12 PM »
Did you guys see how Preston was running the bases yesterday and today?  He was REALLY hustling!  I LOVE that.  I wasn't keen on the Wilson acquisition but I can fall in love with a player that really gives his all like that.  Jamey Carroll comes to mind.  Guys that go out there and give everything to the game get my upmost respect.