Author Topic: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread  (Read 49354 times)

Offline More of #34

He's an ace.  It was getting rid of the hair that helped.

Now we need the other ace to pitch like he did earlier this year. 

Offline Optics

My boy is back.

Offline Matugi

Mark ZuckermanVerified account
‏@ZuckermanCSN
Stephen Strasburg's last 6 starts: 1.26 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 6 BB, 43 K

If the Nats make the playoffs he's earned game 1 IMO.  He obviously had the rough games earlier but that all appears to be due to injury, and now he and Scherzer are both approaching their career averages, of which Strasburg wins in just about every category other than, ironically, wins

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
My boy is back.

Mine too. He's my favorite National and it's always a pleasure to see him perform.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Seems like the fire is in him, they had him on camera fighting with the staff to go back out there for the 8th when they were pinch hitting Robinson for him. Then when they scored those runs he was on his feet cheering, high fiving everybody, he's got some fight in him now! This is just what he needed.

Max said he discovered his mechanical issue that was flattening out his fastball, hopefully he's already worked to correct it and we'll have our ace back. We can't have any more of that extreme fly-ball pitcher stuff, especially not at Coors.

Offline Baseball is Life

Seems like the fire is in him, they had him on camera fighting with the staff to go back out there for the 8th when they were pinch hitting Robinson for him. Then when they scored those runs he was on his feet cheering, high fiving everybody, he's got some fight in him now! This is just what he needed.

Thoma Loverro said a couple of weeks ago on the radio that Stras would be the key to any Nats drive to make the playoffs. Kinda of agree with him.

Offline HalfSmokes

Thoma Loverro said a couple of weeks ago on the radio that Stras would be the key to any Nats drive to make the playoffs. Kinda of agree with him.

either he or Zimmermann has to return to form- I'm glad one of them is

Offline Baseball is Life

either he or Zimmermann has to return to form- I'm glad one of them is

If the Nats can get Scherzer, JZimm and Stras to perform at their best, I'll take them over the untested Mets top three down the stretch.

Offline whytev

Max said he discovered his mechanical issue that was flattening out his fastball, hopefully he's already worked to correct it and we'll have our ace back. We can't have any more of that extreme fly-ball pitcher stuff, especially not at Coors.

I lip-read a "freak yeah" when Werth hit them home. Gotta love being eligible for the W.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Nice change from emo stras.

Offline PC

Having an affair does wonders for some.  ;)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
PC knows so much that I'm inclined to believe Strasburg may be having in affair with PC.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

I lip-read a "freak yeah" when Werth hit them home.

Me too :hysterical:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Bump.   :stir:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Bump.   :stir:
Gotta say that last year's Strasburg would have wilted after giving up the two run home run.

I hope we can keep this Strasburg next season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Gotta say that last year's Strasburg would have wilted after giving up the two run home run.

Mental fortitude since coming back. Awesome

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Isn't he a free agent next year?

Offline Ray D

Isn't he a free agent next year?
Free agent 2017.  Arb. eligible 2016.

Offline Optics

Gave up two runs and only went 6 innings. Not an ace.

8)

Offline Ray D

Gave up two runs and only went 6 innings. Not an ace.

8)

I draw the line at 3 runs in 6 innings.  That's considered a quality start and I don't think there is anything "quality" about it.  2 runs in 6 inning, in my book, you've given your team "a chance to win" as the saying goes.  Ace or not, I don't care.   3 runs is 4.5 era, definitely not ace.  2 runs is 3.0; maybe not ace, but pretty good.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
So good to see him throwing 98. That makes all the difference with him. When he lets loose it sets up everything else. He just couldn't live at 94 successfully. Hopefully a stretch of weak opponents and decent conditions will build up his confidence and he will be dominant down the stretch. They need it.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

So good to see him throwing 98. That makes all the difference with him. When he lets loose it sets up everything else. He just couldn't live at 94 successfully. Hopefully a stretch of weak opponents and decent conditions will build up his confidence and he will be dominant down the stretch. They need it.

Not only great seeing him throw 98, but it's an easy 98. He looks like he's hardly trying, just pitching easy and letting it soar. And more than that, he's almost abusing the fastball. Here it is, hit it. Throw it like 4 or 5 times an at-bat until they start to catch up. He's got command of it so it's not going down the middle, changing eye levels constantly at 98, then mix in that changeup and the hitters are swinging about 15 feet too early, or drop the hammer with the curveball and freeze knees.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Gave up two runs early and didn't wilt.   Tossing 98 and shutting the Padres down.    I like this Stephen Strasburg.    He was throwing some curves early that the umpire couldn't believe were strikes (plus Ramos can't "frame").    That's the Strasburg we saw early in his career.    Throwing stuff the umps had never seen and missed the calls.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Not only great seeing him throw 98, but it's an easy 98. He looks like he's hardly trying, just pitching easy and letting it soar. And more than that, he's almost abusing the fastball. Here it is, hit it. Throw it like 4 or 5 times an at-bat until they start to catch up. He's got command of it so it's not going down the middle, changing eye levels constantly at 98, then mix in that changeup and the hitters are swinging about 15 feet too early, or drop the hammer with the curveball and freeze knees.

According to ESPN stats, his avg fastball velocity of 96.8 was the highest since June of 2012.

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org

seriously, what the heck happened to this dude?  is the real Strasburg stuck in the Black Lodge with Agent Cooper?? (Twin Peaks reference....been ninge-watching). 

all of a sudden he's confident, doesn;t get flustered, looks angry if not downright frieghtening on the mound.  Pumping it up and cussing in the dugout....who is this guy???  Not sure Ive ever seen such a 180.....could be a great story if he could lead the charge and get us back in it.