Author Topic: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread  (Read 49345 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread
« Reply #175: September 03, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
What's magic about 100?  He should be going 130.

Why? I don't want him to get hurt again. Not in a related sense, but throwing 130 consistently will lead to a higher risk of injury. I agree he could have gone another inning, but 130 is a bad idea.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #176: September 03, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »
I'm with ya Ray D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #177: September 03, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
Saint Stephen with elbows
In and out of the lineup he goes
Lewis Yocum fixed the elbow and pain
When he was shut down people all complain

Stephen prosper in his time?
Well he may and show no decline
Did it matter? does it now?
Stephen’s the answer if the Reds gag now

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-notes-feat-sundays-notable-call-ups/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #178: September 03, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »
Why? I don't want him to get hurt again. Not in a related sense, but throwing 130 consistently will lead to a higher risk of injury. I agree he could have gone another inning, but 130 is a bad idea.

Why a bad idea?  You don't see the Mets babying Harvey, do you?   

Offline blue911

« Reply #179: September 04, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »
I don't think there is anything magical about 100 pitches when it comes to injuries. A pitcher that throws 75 pitches in 2 innings is far more likely to have issues than one who throws 120 over a 9 inning period. Absent of a way to in-game monitor arm,elbow and shoulder fatigue there should be a yellow flag number (100 pitches) and a red flag number (120). Think of it as a tachometer in a vehicle, going above these numbers doesn't guarantee injury but it isn't advisable to live in those zones.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #180: September 04, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »

the disabled list
matt harvey? who will decide
on TJ surgery?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #181: September 04, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »

the disabled list
matt harvey? who will decide
on TJ surgery?

8)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #182: September 05, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
So in the course of surfing last night, I came across the current stats for 2013 and found them particularly interesting in light of the Strasburg oddity I'd commented on earlier -

http://m.mlb.com/stats/?season=2013&stat_type=pitching&game_type=R&sort_column=era

Of note, if you sort pitchers by seasonal ERA? Strasburg has the second lowest winning percentage in the top 60!!! And the 60th best ERA is currently 4.03, well over a full run higher than Strasburg, who merits the 6th best ERA in baseball @ 2.85.

Cole Hamels, #41 with a 3.51 ERA and 6-13 record/.316 , is the only worse winning % on the top 60, although honorable mentions go to John Lackey who ties Stras with a 8-12, .400 win %, but #28 in ERA with 3.22.

Here's a bit I found especially striking... Out of the top 60 pitchers in ERA, there are only six with a losing record. The three aforementioned, and numbers 13, 23 and 26. Otherwise, 54 of the 60 best ERAs have winning or break even split records for 2013.

So yeah, like others have said already, wins and losses are a relatively meaningless stat for pitchers. But nevertheless, given Strasburg's exceptional ERA ranking 6th best in all of baseball, Zimmermann sitting at 16-8 (.667 w%) & 3.30 ERA (Good for #31 league-wide) plus honorable mentions to Gio at 9-6 (.600 w%) & 3.49 ERA (#40 overall) and the team itself over .500... Combine all that with the rarity of losing records for any quality pitchers on any team this season, and the freakish 6-9/.400 w% stands out all the more.

As I initially sought perspective for Stras' ERA and win % differential, figured I'd post the answer to my own question as far as the current season goes for anyone else who might have been curious. Like I said, utterly meaningless, yet still rather fascinating.

Offline blue911

« Reply #183: September 05, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
Why would you use ERA? RA9 is a better stat for this type of inquiry.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #184: September 05, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
Why would you use ERA? RA9 is a better stat for this type of inquiry.

/shrug? For one thing, ERA is what I'm/most folks are most familiar with.

RA9 is simply including unearned runs as well as earned runs, right? I'm not sure burdening Stras with poor defense/fielding is necessarily an absolute... Might be useful as well, but imo ERA is an adequate indicator of pitching performance.

It does appear Stras has allowed a relatively significant number of unearned runs with 10, but Kershaw, #1 ERA, has six unearned runs, #13 in Chris Sale has 12 unearned runs allowed. Zimmermann has 4 and Gio 6. Unfortunately I don't see RA/9 on the rudimentary stat page I'm looking at currently.

Offline blue911

« Reply #185: September 05, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
Then why not use FIP or xFIP which measure only what a pitcher can control?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #186: September 05, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »

Well, maybe they should have. Either way, they will certainly be babying him now.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #187: September 05, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
Then why not use FIP or xFIP which measure only what a pitcher can control?

Err... because post length to the contrary, I'm not writing a dissertation or my master's thesis on the Stephen Strasburg Aberration (Circa. 2013) :)

I just found the mismatch intriguing initially, then all the more so when I was glancing at league-wide 2013 stats (both hitting and pitching) the other night. As noted, said pitching stats expounded my earlier posts on Strasburg. It was a coincidence though, and not a result of me fervently researching/compiling a dataset around Stras' win/loss mismatch.

Certainly interesting enough to warrant such an investigation, particularly given said findings where, for 2013 at least, ERA and win/losses seem to be remarkably intertwined. 54 of the top 60 ERA leaders enjoying not having losing records is a pretty significant percentage. That said, my research time into the matter has been exhausted, so a deeper sabermetrical analysis shan't be forthcoming in my next novella post. You're more than welcome to pick up where my laziness and intellectual shortcomings left off.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #188: September 06, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
I think the answer is clearly that Strasburg just doesn't have the heart of a winner.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #189: September 06, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
I think the answer is clearly that Strasburg just doesn't have the heart of a winner.
I love entrails discussion.  It must be from my stint at an augury one summer during college. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #190: September 26, 2013, 03:18:19 AM »
Probably the most honest paragraph ever written about Strasburg.

Strasburg has a few too many excuses, maladies and moods. Next year, he needs a new kind of innings “limit”: 210, minimum. He’ll be 26 next July. At that age, pitchers stop worrying about their arms and live out their fate. Be Justin Verlander or be Mark Prior but find out which it is. That’s what Strasburg wants. He says he’s ready to be a horse; give him his head

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/washington-nationals-had-a-much-needed-reality-check-that-could-help-them-in-2014/2013/09/25/50f94992-2629-11e3-b75d-5b7f66349852_story_1.html

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #191: September 26, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »
He was the only guy on the team with the heart to fight back against the Braves beanball foray.  He did it realizing he was going to get yanked.

He's got plenty of heart, a great arm, and, with Ramos behind the plate, a pretty nasty attitude.

Offline Optics

« Reply #192: September 29, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
He had some meltdowns earlier in the year but all in all Stras had a great year.

I think he'll be even better next year as he really starts to hit his prime. I'm thinking Kershaw-esque numbers, and a possible Cy Young.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #193: September 29, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »
He was the only guy on the team with the heart to fight back against the Braves beanball foray.  He did it realizing he was going to get yanked.

He's got plenty of heart, a great arm, and, with Ramos behind the plate, a pretty nasty attitude.

This times a thousand. He got unfairly tainted by baseball's old macho tough guy crowd because the team has been extremely careful with him. So be it. He just needs to go out and do it on the field and shut everybody up.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #194: September 29, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
I think he gets too much credit for the Barves beanball game. Honestly, I think he just lost control when pitching to Simmons.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #195: September 29, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
Honestly, I think he just lost control when pitching to Simmons.

Really? I'm going to assume you are smarter than this and you're just trolling.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #196: October 01, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
The pitching sequence to Andrellton Simmons looked very controlled:

- warning fastball six fee out side
- pin point FB behind Simmons
- Another pin point an inch or two behins Simmons belt buckle.

Offline Baseball is Life

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #198: March 06, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
Strasburg debut on MASN

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #199: March 06, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
Strasburg debut on MASN