Author Topic: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread  (Read 49353 times)

Offline sph274

Re: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread
« Reply #150: September 03, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
This year John lackey has an era of 3.22, plays for a first place team and has an 8-12 record. The red sox have been shut out 11 times this season 6 times when lackey starts. They have the second highest scoring offense in the league. crap happens.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #151: September 03, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
Strasburg needs to go to the front office in the off season and demand a trade - this team can not score when he starts. If he were on a real team he would be in the running for a cy young.

Tom
GMU Nat?

Offline sph274

« Reply #152: September 03, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
also, i thought the "wins are a meaningless statistic" statement was acknowledged years ago. Stras has been good but def not in the cy young conversation. He has had crap luck on a bad offensive team. People stopped glancing at a W-L line to evaluate a pitcher's performance long ago. who gives a crap about strasburg's win totals?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #153: September 03, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »
collie - this is one of the reasons that wins are not a good indicator of pitching quality by themselves.  Essentially, you have Stras pitching the same as last year and allowing very similar run totals, yet getting vastly different wins totals.  You can say he's allowing a bit more contact, but it is not burning him in terms of runs allowed.  Add in that he's going 6.1 (tenths, not thirds) innings per start, while in 2012 he went 5.7, and that he had two starts shortened due to a rain out and an ejection, and you really can't say he's depending more on the bullpen this year to explain the result.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #154: September 03, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
Coladar... Has walks are the same but K's are way down.

While results are similar, his secondary numbers aren't quite as good.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155: September 03, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
His BABIP is down from .311 to .260.  He's also had a steadily increasing GB rate, which should move BABIP the other way. That said, the .260 is more in line with his prior partial seasons.  It might be that he was unlucky last year more than lucky this year.  This is driving the FIP and xFIP change, because his HR/9 is the same.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #156: September 03, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Why was Strasburg pulled after six innings last night.   Maybe there was a good reason but I didn't hear it. he was going strong,  pitch count was about 100, and he had the lead. I thought he could easily go another two innings.

If he was hurt, or running out of gas, fine.  If not, then chalk up another stupid decision. He goes 8 innings, we win.

But if he was running out of gas, that's another indication that he isn't Cy Young material.   He cannot go deep enough into games. 

As to the "win" statistic -   Agreed, it is overrated, but not as meaningless a portrayed: if Strasburg were able to go deeper into games, he would have more wins, because he would give the bullpen less chances to blow it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #157: September 03, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
He was asked and said he could have and wanted to go longer.

Offline blue911

« Reply #158: September 03, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
His BABIP is down from .311 to .260.  He's also had a steadily increasing GB rate, which should move BABIP the other way. That said, the .260 is more in line with his prior partial seasons.  It might be that he was unlucky last year more than lucky this year.  This is driving the FIP and xFIP change, because his HR/9 is the same.

His slash line has dropped from .230/.291/.359 in 2012 to  .204/.277/.308 this season. As Linty points out, his K% has dropped from 30.2% to 26.7% yet  he is still 5th highest K% among starters. Another stat to look at is his drop in XBH% from 6.6% to 4.6% which behind only Fernandez and Harvey.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: September 03, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »
the drop in xbh% makes sense given the increase in GB rate, right?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #160: September 03, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »
So, Stephen is getting better?  I never saw that one coming, lol.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #161: September 03, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
He was asked and said he could have and wanted to go longer.
Ok then I'll ask again, and a bit more pointedly: Why in the hell was he removed?  Is Davey really becoming that senile?   And I  mean that seriously, what other explanation could there be, besides senility?

Offline blue911

« Reply #162: September 03, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
the drop in xbh% makes sense given the increase in GB rate, right?

That would account for some but you also have to take into consideration he's allowing more balls to be put in play.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #163: September 03, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
Ok then I'll ask again, and a bit more pointedly: Why in the hell was he removed?  Is Davey really becoming that senile?   And I  mean that seriously, what other explanation could there be, besides senility?

Senility.  All I got. :shrug:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #164: September 03, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Senility.  All I got. :shrug:
Seriously though, and I don't mean to beat it to death, but why no outrage?  I didn't watch postgame nor did I listen to Phil Wood after the game (too disgusted) so I don't know if  there was any mitigating reason offered.  Was there? Did anyone ask Davey? Did anyone ask Phil?   I mean, it is simply outrageous that they removed him for no reason  (if that's what they did) and I am surprised that there is no outrage.

Offline sph274

« Reply #165: September 03, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Seriously though, and I don't mean to beat it to death, but why no outrage?  I didn't watch postgame nor did I listen to Phil Wood after the game (too disgusted) so I don't know if  there was any mitigating reason offered.  Was there? Did anyone ask Davey? Did anyone ask Phil?   I mean, it is simply outrageous that they removed him for no reason  (if that's what they did) and I am surprised that there is no outrage.

cause it is one game in a lost season? cause nobody gives a crap anymore?

Offline blue911

« Reply #166: September 03, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »

He was at 100 pitches.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #167: September 03, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
He was at 100 pitches.
What's magic about 100?  He should be going 130.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #168: September 03, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
cause nobody gives a crap anymore?

Clearly some of us do.  I do.   

Offline blue911

« Reply #169: September 03, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
What's magic about 100?  He should be going 130.

Ray, I don't have to necessarily agree with a decision to understand the thinking behind it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #170: September 03, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »

Wasn't there a point in the game where he tweaked his knee or leg or something, at bat? I remember C&D talking about it, and about him walking around the mound flexing it between pitches. C&D wondered out loud why he was removed, too, but I remember them talking about him gimping to first after he hit the ball.

And if this were the reason, it doesn't mean that Davey's going to answer the question honestly.

Offline Optics

« Reply #171: September 03, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »
100 tends to be where you start seeing diminishing returns from your pitcher, and you have to factor in Stras essentially went a complete game his last start(okay one out short, but same thing more or less).

With that said I would have been fine with him going one more inning, but I'm okay with the idea of letting him leave the game on top. Storen-Clip-Soriano should essentially mean lights out for the opposition.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #172: September 03, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »

It's either that or they are still babying him in what they have to know is already a lost season. I don't think Strasburg likes the way they treat him with kid gloves though. I don't blame him.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #173: September 03, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
Seriously though, and I don't mean to beat it to death, but why no outrage? I didn't watch postgame nor did I listen to Phil Wood after the game (too disgusted) so I don't know if  there was any mitigating reason offered.  Was there? Did anyone ask Davey? Did anyone ask Phil?   I mean, it is simply outrageous that they removed him for no reason  (if that's what they did) and I am surprised that there is no outrage.
Why would anyone have "outrage" after a manager pulls a pitcher at 100 pitches?

May not agree with it, but "outrage"?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #174: September 03, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
100 tends to be where you start seeing diminishing returns from your pitcher, and you have to factor in Stras essentially went a complete game his last start(okay one out short, but same thing more or less).

he went 2 innings in his previous start due to rain.  he's going to be fresh for October.