Author Topic: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread  (Read 49340 times)

Offline ajcartwright

Re: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread
« Reply #125: August 20, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
Pitchers have to send their phone numbers and address to those they've hit.

:clap:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #126: August 22, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »
I've always thought that a well-placed "accidental" case of a bat slipping out of the hitter's hand in the general direction of the mound would send an effective message.

I think that's an automatic ejection.

I dimly remember a case where Jose Roseboro whent after Marichal with a bat. Of course that was almost 50 years ago, so it might have been that Roseboro "returned" the throw to the pitcher and "accidentally" threw at full power an inch or two from Marichal's ear. (Helmets had no ear-flaps back then.)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #127: August 22, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
I think that's an automatic ejection.

I dimly remember a case where Jose Roseboro whent after Marichal with a bat. Of course that was almost 50 years ago, so it might have been that Roseboro "returned" the throw to the pitcher and "accidentally" threw at full power an inch or two from Marichal's ear. (Helmets had no ear-flaps back then.)

I remember it as well but it was vice versa  ....   Marichal is #27 and Roseboro is the African American catcher in his gear and visitor Dodgers' gray.

http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/the-fight-between-juan-marichal-and-john-roseboro/

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #128: August 22, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
And here is the account:

http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/the-fight-between-juan-marichal-and-john-roseboro/

Marichal threw at Maury Wills and Ron Fairly. Koufax threw high and hard at Marichal. Roseboro nicked Marichal's ear with the return to Koufax, a huge fight broke out, and Marichal slugged Roseboro with the bat. Marichal's explanation: he though Roseboro was about to hit him with the catcher's mask.

Amazing story...Willie Mays ran into the pile, covered Roseboro, his best friend in baseball, and finished the game with Roseboro's blood over his uniform. Read the full story...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #129: August 22, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
just saw the curve he hung in the 9th, terrible terrible pitch.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #130: August 23, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
just saw the curve he hung in the 9th, terrible terrible pitch.

The pitch he should never have thrown since Rendon couldn't make the play?

And it was one bad pitch.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #131: August 23, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
And here is the account:

Marichal threw at Maury Wills and Ron Fairly. Koufax threw high and hard at Marichal. Roseboro nicked Marichal's ear with the return to Koufax, a huge fight broke out, and Marichal slugged Roseboro with the bat. Marichal's explanation: he though Roseboro was about to hit him with the catcher's mask.

Amazing story...Willie Mays ran into the pile, covered Roseboro, his best friend in baseball, and finished the game with Roseboro's blood over his uniform. Read the full story...

For the record, I wasn't trying to contradict you.   The reason I remember it so well was I always hated the Giants (not sure why) and two of my favorite players were Junior Gilliam and John Roseboro because I always played 3rd base and/or caught.   I guess that's where they put the kids who had no speed and good arms.    Of course, I liked 3rd basemen and catchers all over the league.   But I digress.    So, when this occurred it immediately got my attention even though my serious playing days were over.   Seems I never forgot it.   :)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #132: August 28, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
this is quite the elaborate plan to keep SS's innings down and keep him fresh for the post season.

Offline PC

« Reply #133: August 29, 2013, 12:16:29 AM »
this is quite the elaborate plan to keep SS's innings down and keep him fresh for the post season.

It's almost diabolical.   :twisted:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #134: August 29, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »
He was really good a fielding dumb questions in. The clubhouse interview tonight

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #135: August 29, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
He was really good a fielding dumb questions in. The clubhouse interview tonight

He really hates the media thing. Nobody on the team seems to enjoy it, except Davey.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #136: September 02, 2013, 12:55:16 AM »
Seeing the matchup for tomorrow's game had something dawn on me, apologies if it's been discussed/asked already elsewhere -

Strasburg is currently sitting at a 2.95 era, yet a 6-9 W/L. Google failed me on this, but has anyone read what the record is for worst season for a SP with an ERA under 3? Or remember a particularly bad one that puts Stras' season in perspective?

I'm sure his 6-9 doesn't even merit top ten for unlucky pitchers, but likewise an ERA under 3 is usually the hallmark of a pretty damn good season. I can't imagine 3 games under .500 for a guy with under 20 decisions by season's end is that frequent of an occurrence, so the sports records/history fanatic in me had its curiousity piqued.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #137: September 02, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
Seeing the matchup for tomorrow's game had something dawn on me, apologies if it's been discussed/asked already elsewhere -

Strasburg is currently sitting at a 2.95 era, yet a 6-9 W/L. Google failed me on this, but has anyone read what the record is for worst season for a SP with an ERA under 3? Or remember a particularly bad one that puts Stras' season in perspective?

I'm sure his 6-9 doesn't even merit top ten for unlucky pitchers, but likewise an ERA under 3 is usually the hallmark of a pretty damn good season. I can't imagine 3 games under .500 for a guy with under 20 decisions by season's end is that frequent of an occurrence, so the sports records/history fanatic in me had its curiousity piqued.

Probably king Felix - he won the cy young with a losing record

Offline blue911

« Reply #138: September 02, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Probably king Felix - he won the cy young with a losing record

Nolan Ryan, 1987

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #139: September 02, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »
I guess closers don't count (Gagne).

Offline Coladar

« Reply #140: September 02, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
I guess closers don't count (Gagne).

Yeah, probably not in the spirit of the question. More of a SP thing - it makes the ERA more impactful, and indicative that he was consistently good and thus his record should reflect that.

SP pitches 30ish games a year, multiple innings each. Closer, or any reliever, can pitch 70+, which means a losing record might be the result of just a handful of atrocious appearances not apparent in his ERA due to being ironed out by 50+ good games. As such, I think it makes sense to consider only SPers.

I am surprised a long list of unluckier guys hasn't been posted yet - maybe it's a rarer accomplishment than I first thought. 8-16, 2.76 ERA is... impossible. Except it isn't. Wow, what a godawful season Ryan had. He must have been ready to put hits out on his teammates by the end of the year.

Interestingly though, percentage wise? Stras ain't that far. Double his record both ways now because the low number of decisions he has can be deceiving, 12-18. Add two more losses and two or three no decisions before October, you'd have 12-22 (Or, in real world/non-hyperbolic terms, 6-11). Almost exactly the .333 of Ryan's '87 campaign. As much as those few decisions might mitigate Strasburg's season in comparison to Ryan, while he would have nearly half the number of losses, the same applies for wins, too. I'd almost argue that having so many more no decisions makes it all the more painful, an indication his bullpen failed him unlike Ryan, who mostly controlled his own destiny record-wise.

It'd be different if Ryan pitched a ton more games - that ain't the case. 1987 he appeared in 34 games. Strasburg, 26 thus far, meaning what, 32 by season's end? I vote, and this is worst case scenario down the stretch, that a 6-11/12, 2.90, 32 games starter hurts worse than 8-16, 2.76, 34 games given the 'master of your own destiny' factor Ryan has on his side.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #141: September 02, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
I'm having problems accessing my fangraphs account.  you could probably sort starting pitching seasons say for the past decade or so, look at ERA's under 3, and see which had losing records.

Chris Sale this year is at 2.99 and 10- 12.  he could end up with a greater Loss - win gap.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #142: September 02, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
In 2011, Lincecum was 13-14 and 2.74 ERA, while Doug fister was 10 -13 with a 2.87 ERA.  Kuroda and JZ were slightly over 3 with net loss records.  In 2010, King Felix had a winning record (13-12).   Before Lincecum and Fister, you have to go back to 2008 and Jake Peavy to find another negative won loss and ERA under 3 (10-11, 2.85)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #143: September 02, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
In 2011, Lincecum was 13-14 and 2.74 ERA, while Doug fister was 10 -13 with a 2.87 ERA.  Kuroda and JZ were slightly over 3 with net loss records.  In 2010, King Felix had a winning record (13-12).   Before Lincecum and Fister, you have to go back to 2008 and Jake Peavy to find another negative won loss and ERA under 3 (10-11, 2.85)

Your post of double digit win totals reminded me of another totally nutty oddity, of which I'm certain there's no way of finding out...

I noticed Zimmermann is in the top five league-wide for wins with 15, his ERA 3.7something. I'd be willing to bet decent money there's never been a SP duo where one guy had almost three times as many wins as his teammate with an under 3 ERA while having nearly 1 run higher ERA.

In other words, crazy disparity between Stras and Zimmermann. Guys like Ryan and the others, you anticipate played for godawful teams with equally godawful records. Here we have Stras having the win/loss & ERA mismatch, while Zimmermann has 15 wins and almost 4 ERA.

That makes an already unlucky season insanely unlucky. Combine with Strasburg being shutdown and missing what might have been the chance of a lifetime last season in October, and if I were Stras I don't think I'd ever play the lottery for the rest of my life.

At least he's not on the books for a loss tonight. At this point a no decision is almost as good as a win the way his season's gone. Gives up one run, one unearned run, no less, over six innings, yet the team is on pace for a loss. Eek. Can't ask for a better performance from a SPer. Knocks his ERA down to 2.85, yet the same cursed 6-9 record. Stras might end up finishing with a lower ERA than Ryan's '87 campaign if this keeps up.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #144: September 02, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
Two more edits and that last post will become a tome.

Offline tomwvr

« Reply #145: September 02, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
Strasburg needs to go to the front office in the off season and demand a trade - this team can not score when he starts. If he were on a real team he would be in the running for a cy young.

Tom

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #146: September 02, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »
Strasburg needs to go to the front office in the off season and demand a trade - this team can not score when he starts. If he were on a real team he would be in the running for a cy young.

Tom

Whatever. Matt Cain had the same issues.

Hey, he's officially pitched more innings this season than ever before. Congrats :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #147: September 02, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
Matthew Pouliot ‏@matthewpouliot 11m
2012 Strasburg: 62 R, 15 HR, 197/48 K/BB in 159 1/3 IP -- 15 wins
2013 Strasburg: 62 R, 15 HR, 174/50 K/BB in 164 1/3 IP -- 6 win

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #148: September 02, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »

Tom
Just like Zimmermann in past years. It's more random than anything.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #149: September 03, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »

That's crazy. Just totally crazy. Same innings, same runs, and ultimately this season will be superior to last in all but wins.

The crazy thing, for me at least, is he isn't on a godawful team. Right now we're still over .500. And he still has a teammate with 15 wins. There are incredible SPers for crappy teams, then there are guys with disgustingly unlucky seasons. Stras is the latter, summed up to a tee in last night's game. 6 innings, 0 ER. What's more, the other team has only four hits over nine innings, wins with three runs, we scored two.

If that's not as close to the definition of unlucky as one can get in a world where there's no such thing as luck, I don't know what is...

(Now you have your tome, Spider.)