Author Topic: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread  (Read 49366 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread
« Reply #425: October 22, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
Have any Scott Boras clients signed an extension? I thought most/all went to free agency.

Weaver

Offline Ray D

« Reply #426: October 22, 2015, 05:31:41 PM »
So, where do you end up if you are Harper?
Multiple teams.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #427: October 22, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »
Most players go where there's the most money. There are exceptions but very few. Don't blame them. They can go home after their playing career is over.

Offline Optics

« Reply #428: October 22, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
As an athlete your window to earn is only open for so long, and once it shuts it shuts for good. I don't blame anyone for trying to make as much as they can while they can.

I mean, better the players get the money then the greedy owners.

Offline whytev

« Reply #429: October 23, 2015, 01:53:59 AM »
or you could live somewhere with lower taxes or in a big city or you could live somewhere near great beaches, or great lakes for fishing, or mountains for sports... everyone has different priorities and preferences if you're talking about equal money

Maybe I come from a city with beaches, mountains, and lakes. But good point about the taxes.

Offline whytev

« Reply #430: October 23, 2015, 01:55:25 AM »
Neither. Panthers or Lighting.

Florida infuriates me.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #431: October 23, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
Multiple teams.
:bow:

Ray knows what to do with a straight line.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #432: October 23, 2015, 02:17:06 PM »
:bow:

Ray knows what to do with a straight line.

I was restraining myself, I wanted to make this comment but I didn't want to offend :hysterical:

Offline whytev

« Reply #433: October 23, 2015, 03:11:27 PM »
I was restraining myself, I wanted to make this comment but I didn't want to offend :hysterical:

I was ready to as well but he beat me to it.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #434: July 13, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
It's been interesting to see Stras's evolution this year. No longer a power pitcher but uses his complete repertoire. And though I've never bought in to the lazy narrative that challenged his mental toughness, he does seem more even keeled this year. I think that just comes with maturity.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #435: July 13, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
Since 2017, he's gone from 95.5 to 94.5 to 93.5 on his fastball, so, yes, there's a velo drop.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #436: July 13, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
We should trade him. His value will never be higher

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #437: July 13, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »

Offline tenken627

« Reply #438: July 13, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »
It's been interesting to see Stras's evolution this year. No longer a power pitcher but uses his complete repertoire. And though I've never bought in to the lazy narrative that challenged his mental toughness, he does seem more even keeled this year. I think that just comes with maturity.

I dont think anyone thought last night's game was some kind of a breakthrough for Stras. We've all seen him grow over the years. We know the pitcher he is now.

People are just commentating on him overall from his past, and games like last night just strengthens it.

We've all watched him grow, our very first #1 pick. It's just an overall feeling of being proud of him as a person and a player. Not a spur of the moment sentiment.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #439: July 13, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »
I dont think anyone thought last night's game was some kind of a breakthrough for Stras. We've all seen him grow over the years. We know the pitcher he is now.

People are just commentating on him overall from his past, and games like last night just strengthens it.

We've all watched him grow, our very first #1 pick. It's just an overall feeling of being proud of him as a person and a player. Not a spur of the moment sentiment.

No, not a spur of the moment thing. Like I said, an evolution. But I will say that he lost some zip on his heater after the pinched nerve in his neck injury last year and that may have accelerated the change in pitching style.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #440: July 13, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »

2017 was the breakthrough for him. Everything else has been learning how to pitch as he starts to lose velo

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #441: July 13, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
Since 2017, he's gone from 95.5 to 94.5 to 93.5 on his fastball, so, yes, there's a velo drop.
Are there stats on things like spin rate during that time.   His fastballs has crazy movement on them last night.  I wonder if throwing more of a cutter or 2 seam vs 4 seam has made for a slower, better pitch.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #442: July 13, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
Are there stats on things like spin rate during that time.   His fastballs has crazy movement on them last night.  I wonder if throwing more of a cutter or 2 seam vs 4 seam has made for a slower, better pitch.
there are, but I just picked those numbers off his zfangraphs page. I don't know what site has spin numbers or if it is free

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #443: July 13, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #444: July 13, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »

I think we all thought he would be what Scherzer is now, he never became that, and now we are all sitting here and watching a guy who is still an elite pitcher in his right.

I still think his rookie year before blowing out his arm was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I've been to Nats playoffs games but still the game I'll never forget is rookie Strasburg. He is a different pitcher than we expected, but he has had a heck of a career. Since his rookie year, he is #11 in the MLB in pitching WAR. Starting in 2015, he is #9. That is a worthy #1 pick in my book.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #445: July 13, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
Nerd!

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #446: July 13, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »
Nerd!

Lol.  Here’s an article that covers a bit what I was trying to get at.  https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2019/04/how-strasburg-is-pitching-effectively-with-less-velocity.html

It looked like he was throwing a lot of 2 seamers against righties where they would start way outside and tail across the outside corner.  It’s a very  effective pitch when he’s getting strikes with it. If he’s gone from throwing 90% 4 seamers to 30-40% or more  2 seamers then that’s going to explain a couple mph decrease in fb velocity and maybe not in a linear free fall.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #447: July 19, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #448: July 19, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
Last night’s game was for the memory banks. All the Strasburg haters can eat crap.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #449: July 19, 2019, 12:53:48 PM »
Steven Strasburg is a hot house flower.