Author Topic: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread  (Read 49686 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Stephen Strasburg Appreciation Thread
« Reply #400: October 02, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
There are reasons to be excited about next year.  This is a big one. 

combine his second half this year with his second half last year and you have a HoF level pitcher.  If only he could stay healthy over the course of a season...

Offline Ray D

« Reply #401: October 02, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
Have any Scott Boras clients signed an extension?
One or two, but I can't name them. 

But players who sign with Boras are in line with his philosophy, otherwise why would they sign with him.  Strasburg and Harper included. It is unlikely either will sign an extension, in fact I think it is so unlikely that I don't know why we're talking about it.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #402: October 02, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »

But players who sign with Boras are in line with his philosophy, otherwise why would they sign with him.  Strasburg and Harper included. It is unlikely either will sign an extension, in fact I think it is so unlikely that I don't know why we're talking about it.

I think the extension always depends on the player. Harper may have a shot of getting an extension if the Lerners play the right narrative. Build a championship team around him and give him expected market value and he will stay.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #403: October 02, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »

jared weaver comes to mind, but there aren't many

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #404: October 02, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »
I really hope he gets involved in some kind of work out plan that focuses on flexibility as well as strength. Yoga maybe?

Offline Optics

« Reply #407: October 22, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »
People vastly overblow the hometown factor. Players go where they can win and get paid.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #408: October 22, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
People vastly overblow the hometown factor. Players go where they can win and get paid.

With enough money players convince themselves they can win anywhere (if they even care)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #409: October 22, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »

With enough money players convince themselves they can win anywhere (if they even care)

That's really all that matters.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #410: October 22, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
That theory is going to get tested, with Zimmermann.

Offline whytev

« Reply #411: October 22, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »

I don't agree.  I think it's the ultimate tiebreaker.

If I were a hockey player, and I could live here where I come from or play in Columbus Ohio, what do you think I would do if the offer was the same?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #412: October 22, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »

If I were a hockey player, and I could live here where I come from or play in Columbus Ohio, what do you think I would do if the offer was the same?

or you could live somewhere with lower taxes or in a big city or you could live somewhere near great beaches, or great lakes for fishing, or mountains for sports... everyone has different priorities and preferences if you're talking about equal money

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #413: October 22, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »

I think, and according to some players, the ultimate tiebreaker is where the wife is happy. If the wife has a preference, money being equal (and that takes taxes etc into account) sometimes the guys will go where it's best for the wife and kids.

Offline sph274

« Reply #414: October 22, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »
That theory is going to get tested, with Zimmermann.

why is this considered a thing? i have never seen any article saying that zimmermann has said something about wanting to go back. the brewers are not gonna pony up for a big time deal, the cubs could sign him, but only if they throw crap loads of money at him, which i wouldnt be surprised to see happen, considering chicago is a massive market and their rotation is very shallow

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #415: October 22, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »
why is this considered a thing? i have never seen any article saying that zimmermann has said something about wanting to go back. the brewers are not gonna pony up for a big time deal, the cubs could sign him, but only if they throw crap loads of money at him, which i wouldnt be surprised to see happen, considering chicago is a massive market and their rotation is very shallow

because he didn't resign, and the reason couldn't possibly have been the below market offers, therefore he wants to go home

Offline Ray D

« Reply #416: October 22, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »
i have never seen any article saying that zimmermann has said something about wanting to go back.

He hasn't said anything at all.
 But there has been alot of speculation, and I doubt it's all idle speculation. Articles I have read about him seem to indicate that he wants to be back in the midwest.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #417: October 22, 2015, 01:37:53 PM »
I think, and according to some players, the ultimate tiebreaker is where the wife is happy. If the wife has a preference, money being equal (and that takes taxes etc into account) sometimes the guys will go where it's best for the wife and kids.

Isn't that what Tex said for choosing the Yanks for the Nats/O's?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #418: October 22, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »
Isn't that what Tex said for choosing the Yanks for the Nats/O's?
He may have said that, but he was going to the Yankees no matter what. He viewed the Orioles as a joke (grew up a Yankees fan) and he interviewed with the Nats just to hike up the Yankees offer (and the Nats went along with that to score points with Boras).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #419: October 22, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
That's apparently why Chris Pronger left Edmonton.

Offline PC

« Reply #420: October 22, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »

Or where the mistress is happy.   ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #421: October 22, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
So, where do you end up if you are Harper?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #422: October 22, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
The place with no Papelbon?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #423: October 22, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »

Neither. Panthers or Lighting.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #424: October 22, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »

Depends on whether or not they actually get hitched this time :D