Author Topic: MLB.com Trade Block  (Read 3298 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
MLB.com Trade Block
« Topic Start: July 17, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
from MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050624&content_id=1102659&vkey=news_mlb_nd&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

a list of people who are rumored to be on the Trade Block.  I'm listing just the few names that stood out for me here, you can find the rest at the linky.

RHP A.J. Burnett, Marlins
Contract status: Signed through '05
July 14 -- The Orioles maintain an interest in Burnett and have shown a willing to part with outfielder Larry Bigbie, reliever Jorge Julio and minor league pitcher Hayden Penn, according to the Baltimore Sun. The Blue Jays are also interested in Burnett, according to The Toronto Sun. The right-hander has a past relationship with Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg.

LHP Mark Redman, Pirates
Contract status: Signed through '06
July 14 -- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that Redman could be on the trading block. Redman asked Pirates management for a multi-year extension in June and the Pirates have yet to respond to his request. According to the Post-Gazette, the Pirates have been talking with the Marlins about a possible trade for Redman. Redman was a member of the 2003 world champion Marlins.

RHP Jason Schmidt, Giants
Contract status: Signed through '05; with club option for '06
July 14 -- The Baltimore Sun reported that the Orioles have interest in the right-handed Schmidt. An earlier report says the Giants are asking for two Major League-ready starters and a top-level prospect in return for Schmidt.

LHP Eddie Guardado
Contract status: Club/player option for '06
July 7 -- The Red Sox, who recently lost closer Keith Foulke to knee surgery, made what was described by a Boston official as "preliminary" inquiries about Guardado, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. The Mariners closer has a limited no-trade clause, but the paper cites Guardado's agent as saying he believes the hurler would agree to go anywhere.

RHP Danys Baez, Devil Rays
Contract status: Signed through '05; club option for '06
July 7 -- A hard-throwing closer who knows how to pitch but owns deceiving numbers, Baez has drawn interest from the Mets, who are seeking to boster their bullpen, according to the New York Post.

2B Orlando Hudson, Blue Jays
July 6 -- The Toronto Sun reported that the Red Sox, Reds and Devil Rays all are interested in Hudson. He is Toronto's best trade chip, mostly because of his glovework and the fact that he hasn't even hit arbitration yet. The second baseman will start to get expensive this offseason, but he's starting to get recognized as the AL's premier defender at his position. The Jays have Russ Adams and Aaron Hill in the fold, so Hudson's likely on borrowed time. ((yeah I know he's not a Pitcher..but Orlando Hudson is a STUD, and would make a GREAT long-term pickup.  and he'd give us a HUGE Off-Season Bargaining Chip in Jose Vidro, if we dare consider trading him))

LHP Barry Zito, A's
June 27 -- The A's have an option on Zito for '06, and as a healthy 27-year-old lefty with Cy Young credentials, he's essentially gold on the market despite his deceptively pedestrian numbers this season.

OF Juan Pierre, Marlins
Contract status: Signed through '05, arbitration eligible in '06
June 27 -- One of the league's top leadoff hitters since joining the Marlins before the 2003 season, Pierre has struggled to get on base, which has hurt the team's run and stolen base production. Because he's had three seasons with 200 or more hits, and is a career .300 hitter, the speedy center fielder has value. Once considered an unlikely trade possibility, Pierre in the past has attracted interest from the Phillies and Yankees. Unless he signs a multiyear deal, Pierre is a free agent after '06.(( again, not a Pitcher...but one of the PREMIER leadoff men in all of Baseball.  I think he is just having an off year this season , and will return to his regular self))

RHP Kip Wells, Pirates
Contract status: Signed through '05, arbitration eligible for '06
June 27 -- Wells is set to receive a big raise from the $3.175 million he is earning this season when he heads into arbitration for the final time this winter. Wells could be dealt if the Pirates are offered a young power hitter in return.

RHP Jason Johnson, Tigers
June 27 -- Johnson has finally emerged as the workhorse starter the Tigers hoped he could mature into when they signed him before last season. However, he's not a staff ace, and at 31 he's an older piece in an organization that could have two potential young phenoms threatening the rotation as early as next year in Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya. If the Tigers fall out of contention, he could be available for an attractive package.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #1: July 18, 2005, 03:45:34 PM »
IF Juan Pierre is gonna be moved he would be worth an awful lot to the Nats.

Problem would be how could they compete in a deal with some of the other teams (especially large market teams who are out of the race this year so can afford to offer a solid everyday player and worry about replacing him in the offseason).

Only guy who might be a key in a trade would be Church who, if in fact Loria is gonna cut payroll severely for the next few seasons (greasing the skids for a move to Vegas?), would be good and cheap for quite a few years. Obviously he's not a leadoff hitter, but then probability of Marlins getting one in return would be pretty remote whoever they deal with.

Wilkie would seem obvious but he's only got - I think - 1 more arbitration eligible year so not that appealing to Marlins.

Thing is, if he's gonna go sure be nice to get him for this season and beyond as likely whoever got him would lock him up long term.

Offline Dave B

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #2: July 18, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »
I'd love to have juan pierre, but I think if bowden thought that was a possibility, he wouldnt have gotten wilson.  I doubt it will happen, but I hope it does.

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #3: July 18, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
I'd love to have juan pierre, but I think if bowden thought that was a possibility, he wouldnt have gotten wilson.  I doubt it will happen, but I hope it does.

oh yeah, I agree. About zero chance of Pierre at the deadline.

But if I'm Bowden and he goes to a team who then does the smart thing and locks him up long term, its like a stake thru my heart not to get him.

If he stays put past JUL 31 tho, gotta think Bowden makes a run at him in the offseason.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #4: July 19, 2005, 09:07:03 AM »
Pasqual, we thought the trolls got you!

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #5: July 19, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"

LOL
Good to see ya!

yeah. I finally realized if it pi$$ed me off so much to see it, why post on the nationals.com board so I been hanging out at ballparkguys until i found this (thanks to Ken).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #6: July 19, 2005, 02:55:47 PM »
Well, I still poke around for info over there, but I don't get into the trolling/bashing stuff, so spend much more time here since I moved over.

Anyway, great to have you back!

Offline JMW IV

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #7: July 19, 2005, 03:35:11 PM »
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"

LOL
Good to see ya!

yeah. I finally realized if it pi$$ed me off so much to see it, why post on the nationals.com board so I been hanging out at ballparkguys until i found this (thanks to Ken).

huh...it just clicked.

YOU are JoseManuelGuillen?

go figure.

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #8: July 19, 2005, 03:37:23 PM »
Well, I still poke around for info over there, but I don't get into the trolling/bashing stuff, so spend much more time here since I moved over.

Thanks.

So far seems like official site is the place to go if you like flame wars with trolls and ballparkguys is the place for defeatism (I'm not Pollyanna but lot of guys there been writing off the season since the last Mets series).

Here seems nice :D

Offline JMW IV

MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #9: July 19, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"

Thanks.

So far seems like official site is the place to go if you like flame wars with trolls and ballparkguys is the place for defeatism (I'm not Pollyanna but lot of guys there been writing off the season since the last Mets series).

Here seems nice :D

MLB.com is the Kiddy Pool.

BPG is mood-swing central- 50% the posters there are blatant Homers with a persecution complex, who won't let you dare say anything even remotely negative about the Nationals.  The other 50% drift from being moody bandwagoners to extreme defeatists.

Capital Dugout is a good place to go, that's where most of the Expos fans who still follow the Nats ended up.

This place is the voice of reason among the Message Board communities.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
MLB.com Trade Block
« Reply #10: July 19, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
This place is the voice of reason among the Message Board communities.

WNFF RADIO
WASHINGTON'S VOICE OF REASON