Author Topic: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread  (Read 32764 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread
« Reply #375: August 16, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
Maybe the Nats just have too many good players...both proven and showing potential.

Thinking of '08, '09, '10...can't believe I just wrote that about the team that wheeled out the trombones to welcome Nook Logan, Willy Mo Pena, Austin Kearns, Nyjer Morgan, Felipe Lopez, and all the others.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #376: August 16, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »
^

there's no such thing as having too many good players.  don't get me wrong we have the most talent we've ever had since coming back to DC and we have some of the best talent in all of the game ... but there are still ways to improve. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #377: August 16, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
it's gotta be Moore getting sent down you would think.  Then he can get way more ABs in AAA and be back with the team in September.  Either that or we part ways with DeRosa...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #378: August 16, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »
it's gotta be Moore getting sent down you would think.  Then he can get way more ABs in AAA and be back with the team in September.  Either that or we part ways with DeRosa...

but the move we're talking about is for tomorrow. 

they probably won't part ways with izturis (maybe come september).  moore has options, so they'll probably send him down for two weeks, call him up in september. 

as far as garcia goes (the relief pitcher), i don't see him coming up before september call-ups.  that means they'd have to part ways with one of the bullpen guys.  and then in the month of september, garcia will put pressure on some of the members of the pen as they try and make the postseason roster.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #379: August 16, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
the problem with sending Moore down for desmond is that he is the most effective RH pinch hitter. Lombo is less effective righty than lefty, and they are not going to use Flores without a 3d catcher on the roster.  Izturis really isn't an option.  I take davey at his word that he wants a couple of big bats off the bench.  To me, he's got the that in Tracy and Bernie from the left side, but Moore is the complement.  I can't see them weakening the team before the ATL series. 

I'm thinking Izturis is the guy to go, or a righty in the bullpen develops a mystery ailment.  Izturis I think is on a short clock once Desi proves healthy.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #380: August 16, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »
Izturis should be the one to go but I don't know if Rizzo will do that. But with Desmond back there is no purpose for him at all on the roster.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #381: August 16, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
the problem with sending Moore down for desmond is that he is the most effective RH pinch hitter. Lombo is less effective righty than lefty, and they are not going to use Flores without a 3d catcher on the roster.  Izturis really isn't an option.  I take davey at his word that he wants a couple of big bats off the bench.  To me, he's got the that in Tracy and Bernie from the left side, but Moore is the complement.  I can't see them weakening the team before the ATL series. 

I'm thinking Izturis is the guy to go, or a righty in the bullpen develops a mystery ailment.  Izturis I think is on a short clock once Desi proves healthy.

i give them all the credit in the world if they send out izturis (with the hope he sticks with the club, goes to AAA, gets called up in two weeks).  i know they were worried about moore not being effective off the bench, but he has held his own and come up with some big hits.  plus when he is given ample playing time he has played pretty decently (only with a few bad games at the plate and a few bad reads on balls hit in his direction). 

i'm one of moore's biggest fans and would love if he remained on the roster.  in the past it's not how we would operate (sending down younglings w/ options while keeping vets), but i hope things are changing.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #382: August 16, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »
but the move we're talking about is for tomorrow. 

they probably won't part ways with izturis (maybe come september).  moore has options, so they'll probably send him down for two weeks, call him up in september. 

as far as garcia goes (the relief pitcher), i don't see him coming up before september call-ups.  that means they'd have to part ways with one of the bullpen guys.  and then in the month of september, garcia will put pressure on some of the members of the pen as they try and make the postseason roster.

I'm so very confused by your reply.  I WAS talking about the move tomorrow and I was saying Moore probably gets sent down and then called back up in September (just like you)? 

EDIT: Understand now.  Sorry meant Izturis in my earlier post. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #383: August 16, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
"@Kevin_Goldstein: At SS? Pretty damn big. RT @tarheelz3: @Kevin_Goldstein how big of a gap defensively is there between Ian Desmond&Espinosa?"

Linty wrong again

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #384: August 16, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
freak me. I never knew having two differing subjective opinion could render one of the two factually wrong.

Learn something new every damn day.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #385: August 16, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »

freak me. I never knew having two differing subjective opinion could render one of the two factually wrong.

Learn something new every damn day.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #386: August 16, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
sportsfan - please clarify - which way does the gap favor?
                DE    ID
Innings: 273    791
DRS:          4      -2   (Defensive runs saved)
RZR:      .929  .858   (rate of turning balls in the defensive zone of an average SS into outs)
OOZ:        14     29   (out of zone plays for outs) 
UZR:        6.4    3.9

Goldstein is right.  It isn't even close.   If you just look at errors, Danny's made 2 fielding errors and 5 throwing errors at shortstop.  I'll cut him a little slack on the throwing because he had to switch position mid season and make a different throw.  Desi has made 7 fielding errors and 5 throwing errors.  Desmond's D has improved and I'm not knocking it this year, but Espinosa has played better defensively at SS. 

If anything good came out of Desmond's injuery, then it may be more likely that some team may offer a pretty good package for Espinosa now thinking he can be a regular shortstop.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #387: August 16, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
at this point, if i had a choice who would i rather have: desmond.

but glad we have both AND lombardozzi.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #388: August 16, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
sportsfan - please clarify - which way does the gap favor?
                DE    ID
Innings: 273    791
DRS:          4      -2   (Defensive runs saved)
RZR:      .929  .858   (rate of turning balls in the defensive zone of an average SS into outs)
OOZ:        14     29   (out of zone plays for outs) 
UZR:        6.4    3.9

Goldstein is right.  It isn't even close.   If you just look at errors, Danny's made 2 fielding errors and 5 throwing errors at shortstop.  I'll cut him a little slack on the throwing because he had to switch position mid season and make a different throw.  Desi has made 7 fielding errors and 5 throwing errors.  Desmond's D has improved and I'm not knocking it this year, but Espinosa has played better defensively at SS. 

If anything good came out of Desmond's injuery, then it may be more likely that some team may offer a pretty good package for Espinosa now thinking he can be a regular shortstop.

I was going to say, he didn't note WHICH way it favored.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #389: August 16, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »
at this point, if i had a choice who would i rather have: desmond.

but glad we have both AND lombardozzi.

If Espinosa makes the jump offensively that Desmond did between this year and next, I'll take Danny.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #390: August 16, 2012, 06:41:49 PM »
Desmond's torn obliques heal faster than a mortal man's

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #391: August 16, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
Cant send down izturis he is out of options.  Read somewhere that they would send down Lombo for 2 weeks.  I say no.  Send down Moore.  We got enough outfielders for now!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #392: August 16, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »
Cant send down izturis he is out of options.  Read somewhere that they would send down Lombo for 2 weeks.  I say no.  Send down Moore.  We got enough outfielders for now!

Moore has more power but Lombo is a switch hitter - there are interesting decisions for the playoffs because you can bet money that they will activate DeRosa

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #393: August 16, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
If Espinosa makes the jump offensively that Desmond did between this year and next, I'll take Danny.

agree to disagree, completely.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #394: August 16, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »
agree to disagree, completely.

Interesting.  I guess I don't even see it as a question assuming Danny makes similar strides to what Ian did between year 2 and year 3...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #395: August 16, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
Goldstein is saying that Desi is far superior at SS

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #396: August 16, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
Interesting.  I guess I don't even see it as a question assuming Danny makes similar strides to what Ian did between year 2 and year 3...

it's no slight to danny, but i think the player we are seeing is what you get.  he's got power, strong arm, tough competitor ... but he'll always be a swing and miss candidate who goes through streaks. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #397: August 16, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
it's no slight to danny, but i think the player we are seeing is what you get.  he's got power, strong arm, tough competitor ... but he'll always be a swing and miss candidate who goes through streaks. 

That sounds very similar to what we heard about Ian the past couple of years...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #398: August 16, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
That sounds very similar to what we heard about Ian the past couple of years...

haha i'm not writing off danny, it's just my personal opinion. 

i'd rather have desmond.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #399: August 17, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
“@Nationals: OFFICIAL: #Nats reinstate SS Ian Desmond from 15-day DL; designate INF Cesar Izturis for assignment”