Author Topic: 2010 Southern Maryland Nationals Meet Up Group  (Read 7479 times)

Offline CooperstownChris

• Magnum Z.I.
2010 Southern Maryland Nationals Meet Up Group
« Topic Start: January 05, 2010, 04:13:14 PM »
Just an idea, I think Southern Maryland should have a group that meets up once or twice a week to watch and discuss Nats games. If anyone is interested or has any suggestions let me know :)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: 2010 Southern Maryland Nationals Meet Up Group
« Reply #1: January 05, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »
I'm in. I love Southern Maryland!

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #2: January 05, 2010, 08:02:55 PM »
what. i thought you lived in boston :lmao:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #3: January 05, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »
was a joke lol

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #4: January 05, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
there are nats fans in southern maryland?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: January 05, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
doesnt hammondsnats live in maryland?

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #6: January 05, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »
yeah. there are probably a few others too now that I think about it

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #7: January 05, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
Somebody want to explain the difference between Bethesda and Southern Maryland? I don't have the energy.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #8: January 05, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
yeah. there are probably a few others too now that I think about it
I live in MD, but it's north central MD, not southern MD.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: January 05, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
Somebody want to explain the difference between Bethesda and Southern Maryland? I don't have the energy.

Southern Md. is south of DC, traditionally was PG, Charles, Calvert, St. Mary's.  PG doesn't really fit in anymore, but historically did.  Bethesda is in Montgomery County, not one of the So. Md. counties.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: January 06, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »
Speaking as a Texan, it really amuses me (in an "isn't that cute" way) to imagine arguing over whether or not a county is in southern Maryland. Maryland is small enough you could probably throw a Nationals fan from one end to the other. "Southern Maryland" is probably defined as "the distance that a Southern Marylander would drive before feeling adventurous and/or out of place."

Just to boost my superiority complex, the Texas panhandle could fit two Marylands with a thousand square miles to spare.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #11: January 06, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »
Speaking as a Texan, it really amuses me (in an "isn't that cute" way) to imagine arguing over whether or not a county is in southern Maryland. Maryland is small enough you could probably throw a Nationals fan from one end to the other. "Southern Maryland" is probably defined as "the distance that a Southern Marylander would drive before feeling adventurous and/or out of place."

Just to boost my superiority complex, the Texas panhandle could fit two Marylands with a thousand square miles to spare.
freak Texas :razz:

I've never been, but my friend went on a cross country trip once and said of all the states he visited, Texas was the best.  Friendly people, beautiful scenery.  I'd like to do a road trip one summer and see it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: January 06, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »
I've never been, but my friend went on a cross country trip once and said of all the states he visited, Texas was the best.  Friendly people, beautiful scenery.  I'd like to do a road trip one summer and see it.

I was born and raised in Indiana, and was afraid that Texas would be a nest of hicks and lunatics (which is ironic coming from a Hoosier) - and now, down here I DO live in a really hick-ish region, in rural central Texas, where the People of Wal-Mart blog gets material, the school superintendent weasels teachers into making his deadbeat son salutatorian, and the newspaper's crime blotter has been featured on a double-digit number of Jay Leno episodes. The kind of town that has ... let's see ... well now it has 9 traffic lights, which is a big deal. 3 of them weren't here 2 years ago.

What makes Texas awesome is there are about a thousand different Texases ... the Hill Country, San Antonio, Dallas, west Texas, Austin, Houston, all such different cultures you'd think they were in different states. There's still a lot for me to explore, maybe a road trip in spring break this year, and it's gonna be fun. 8)

Oh yeah ... three words ... bar b q

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: January 06, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
I was born and raised in Indiana, and was afraid that Texas would be a nest of hicks and lunatics (which is ironic coming from a Hoosier) - and now, down here I DO live in a really hick-ish region, in rural central Texas, where the People of Wal-Mart blog gets material, the school superintendent weasels teachers into making his deadbeat son salutatorian, and the newspaper's crime blotter has been featured on a double-digit number of Jay Leno episodes. The kind of town that has ... let's see ... well now it has 9 traffic lights, which is a big deal. 3 of them weren't here 2 years ago.

What makes Texas awesome is there are about a thousand different Texases ... the Hill Country, San Antonio, Dallas, west Texas, Austin, Houston, all such different cultures you'd think they were in different states. There's still a lot for me to explore, maybe a road trip in spring break this year, and it's gonna be fun. 8)

Oh yeah ... three words ... bar b q
Wow, it's like a whole other country!  :lol:

I'm envious of you traffic lights though.  My town has 2.  Unless you count both signals in each  of the 4 directions, then we have 16.  Or you could count each light in each signal :lol:  we have "the square" as a term used for giving directions.  We used to have a duck pin bowling alley, we used to walk from school to it one week a year and play as a part of our PE class.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #14: January 06, 2010, 01:10:57 AM »
I'm envious of you traffic lights though.  My town has 2.  Unless you count both signals in each  of the 4 directions, then we have 16.  Or you could count each light in each signal :lol:  we have "the square" as a term used for giving directions.  We used to have a duck pin bowling alley, we used to walk from school to it one week a year and play as a part of our PE class.

Wow, you definitely win the small town contest! Although Boerne has kind of evolved in the last five years from desolate little burgh (I first visited in 2005 - it was empty) to a place for people from San Antonio to move so they could escape the traffic. Hence the uptick in traffic lights (4 are on the interstate, 1 is the Wal-Mart parking lot entrance). It's still small enough that people from the high school go to Wal-Mart to have fun on Saturday nights.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #15: January 06, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
In my town, the popular kids parked in the Super Thrift parking lot facing the road to hang out on Saturday nights.  The "redneck" crowd parked at the community park.  I like living here though.  Small town, but close to a larger city, and about an hour from DC or Baltimore.  There are no less than 5 walmarts (3 supercenters) within 30 miles :shock: I just realized how pervasive they are!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #16: January 06, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »

The Eastern Shore historically could be as different as San Antonio from Bethesda. Holland is pretty different from Germany. Ask an Eritrean about Ethiopia...

We used to have a duck pin bowling alley, we used to walk from school to it one week a year and play as a part of our PE class.

Duck pin bowling is the greatest. They used to have an alley in Vienna. We used to watch the "Duckpin Challenge" on DC 20 when we were kids, it was so awesomely Baltimore-esque.

In my town, the popular kids parked in the Super Thrift parking lot facing the road to hang out on Saturday nights.  The "redneck" crowd parked at the community park.  I like living here though.  Small town, but close to a larger city, and about an hour from DC or Baltimore.  There are no less than 5 walmarts (3 supercenters) within 30 miles :shock: I just realized how pervasive they are!

Neither Germany nor Bethesda (or Montgomery County) has any Walmarts :clap:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #17: January 06, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
doesnt hammondsnats live in maryland?

yeah i live in bethesda, right near dc.

i want to organize something here or in dc for a nats get together. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #18: January 07, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
yeah i live in bethesda, right near dc.

i want to organize something here or in dc for a nats get together. 

that'd be cool

Offline CooperstownChris

• Magnum Z.I.
« Reply #19: January 07, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
I'm speaking on behalf of all 32 residents of Charles County when I say Southern Maryland has become overrun with O's fans. Its tragic. But the best part is when they say the Nats suck, it gives me a chance to remind them that the O's do too :icon_mrgreen:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: January 07, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
I'm speaking on behalf of all 32 residents of Charles County when I say Southern Maryland has become overrun with O's fans. Its tragic. But the best part is when they say the Nats suck, it gives me a chance to remind them that the O's do too :icon_mrgreen:

Help them remember some of their glorious history.  30-3.  21 straight. 12 straight.  How come they don't still call them the Browns?

Online blue911

« Reply #21: January 07, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »

For 32 people, you sure know how to tie up some traffic.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: January 07, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
I'm back in Anne Arundel County, in what I guess could be called southern Maryland, and my town has ONE traffic light.  Beat THAT. :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #23: January 07, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
I'm back in Anne Arundel County, in what I guess could be called southern Maryland, and my town has ONE traffic light.  Beat THAT. :lol:
We used to have one until we moved up in the world and got the second.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #24: January 07, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »

I have a hilarious nickname for that county.