Author Topic: FIOS  (Read 8298 times)

Offline NatsDad14

Re: FIOS
« Reply #150: December 21, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be to just pop it open and throw a 1 TB or something drive in there.
Fios disabled all the ports on the back of the box so you can't add another hard drive.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #151: December 21, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »
There's a new box that's coming out sometime next year, most likely Jan. It'll have 500gb of space compared to the current 120gb. Someone posted this info SD: 298.6 hours HD: 71.2 hours compared to the current SD: 85.8 hours HD: 20.5 hours.

Edit: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/500GB-Motorola-QIP7232-HD-DVR-Coming-soon/td-p/243705

a few people have gotten them already, and there is a sign-up on the home page of verizon.net (after you log in) to get added to the mailing list for updates.  The next revision of software (1.9) is supposed to support an external eSATA drive on all 7xxx-series boxes, it is supposed to roll out in Q1-11

The guide in 1.9 will be drastically improved as well.  See http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/verizon-fios-set-top-boxes-getting-a-new-hd-guide-external-stor/

I recommend going over to avsforum.net and signing up to watch the FiOS programming thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590208).  It is very active, about 5-10 messages per day.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #152: December 21, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »
Plus, DCFan posts there!!!!!!111

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #153: December 22, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
They're going to be out to our house in the next few days excavating the line in from the street.  This is partly a Christmas gift for my son, whose only request this year was for faster internet.   :roll: 

Just have to come up with a story for when he comes home from work and sees the Verizon trucks all working away.

Offline blue911

« Reply #154: December 22, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
They're going to be out to our house in the next few days excavating the line in from the street. This is partly a Christmas gift for my son, whose only request this year was for faster internet.   :roll: 

Just have to come up with a story for when he comes home from work and sees the Verizon trucks all working away.

Sure it is, I guess you buy Playboy for the articles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #155: December 22, 2010, 08:55:27 AM »
He's really into tank warfare lately.  Two teams engaged in a battle to capture one or the other's home flag.  He can talk to his teammates over the web, planning strategy as the battle evolves.  It's pretty cool, I'd have been totally addicted if it had been around back in the day.  One plus, he now has a resurgent interest in WWII history with of course a particular interest in tanks and artillery. 

Offline imref

« Reply #156: December 22, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »
They're going to be out to our house in the next few days excavating the line in from the street.  This is partly a Christmas gift for my son, whose only request this year was for faster internet.   :roll: 

santa's new fiber-optic "elf on a shelf" system?

Offline imref

« Reply #157: December 22, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
He's really into tank warfare lately.  Two teams engaged in a battle to capture one or the other's home flag.  He can talk to his teammates over the web, planning strategy as the battle evolves.  It's pretty cool, I'd have been totally addicted if it had been around back in the day.  One plus, he now has a resurgent interest in WWII history with of course a particular interest in tanks and artillery. 

we bought call of duty - world at war for the kids for this Christmas, I assume you have it already?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #158: December 22, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
santa's new fiber-optic "elf on a shelf" system?

I told him last night we opted for the other item on his list, a Metallica t-shirt.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #159: December 22, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
This is partly a Christmas gift for my son, whose only request this year was for faster internet.   :roll: 

Ha, sounds like my little brother.

One plus, he now has a resurgent interest in WWII history with of course a particular interest in tanks and artillery. 

Interest in WWII is a prerequisite to being an American male.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #160: December 22, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »
I told him last night we opted for the other item on his list, a Metallica t-shirt.

I have some vintage ones from 1993 somewhere if you are interested :razz:

Offline imref

« Reply #161: December 22, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
Ha, sounds like my little brother.

Interest in WWII is a prerequisite to being an American male.

DVR "Armageddon" on the History channel, it's really good (but some scenes are very gory).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #162: January 19, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
Ugh, I'm ready to quit FioS, they keep charging me for "free" movies channels and being bastards. However, Comcast costs more per month, so I guess we're stuck. I still hate them.

Offline imref

« Reply #163: January 19, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
i think my next move is to get rid of all of the premium channels and buy a raku or appletv box.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #164: January 19, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
i think my next move is to get rid of all of the premium channels and buy a raku or appletv box.

that's what we've done, I miss the series on HBO and showtime, but Netflix has starz movies on roku so there really isn't a huge loss and you can always rent something you really want to watch through amazon on roku

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #165: January 19, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »
Ugh, I'm ready to quit FioS, they keep charging me for "free" movies channels and being bastards. However, Comcast costs more per month, so I guess we're stuck. I still hate them.
You used to :az: on FiOS

The Roku is great.  If you buy an MLB.tv subscription, you can watch out of market games live, streaming over the Roku, and you can watch Nats games (if you are in market) archived about an hour after the end of the game.  Plus Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and other "channels" that it has.  They're cheap too.  The plain Roku HD (only does 720p) is only $59.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #166: January 19, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »

This is horrible customer service. I have IN WRITING the credits they are supposed to give me, but they won't do it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #167: January 19, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »

This is horrible customer service. I have IN WRITING the credits they are supposed to give me, but they won't do it.

don't make the mistake of paying a bill when you get an e-mail reminder. My account is on auto-pay, but since I'm handling bills for my wife now, I wasn't privy to that information, now I have a month's worth of overpay that keeps on just getting pushed forward. They can't figure out how to get it to credit (i.e. skip a bill) and forget about asking them to just cut a check.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #168: January 19, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
don't make the mistake of paying a bill when you get an e-mail reminder. My account is on auto-pay, but since I'm handling bills for my wife now, I wasn't privy to that information, now I have a month's worth of overpay that keeps on just getting pushed forward. They can't figure out how to get it to credit (i.e. skip a bill) and forget about asking them to just cut a check.

I'm not paying this bill until it gets straightened out.

Offline imref

« Reply #169: January 19, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

The Roku is great.  If you buy an MLB.tv subscription, you can watch out of market games live, streaming over the Roku, and you can watch Nats games (if you are in market) archived about an hour after the end of the game.  Plus Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and other "channels" that it has.  They're cheap too.  The plain Roku HD (only does 720p) is only $59.

How do you have it hooked to your TV?  My receiver only has two HDMI inputs, one is for the DVD, the other for the FioS box.  I use the 2nd HDMI input on the TV for connecting my laptop to watch Top Gear.  I'm guessing it might time to buy a receiver with 4 HDMI inputs.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #170: January 19, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »
How do you have it hooked to your TV?  My receiver only has two HDMI inputs, one is for the DVD, the other for the FioS box.  I use the 2nd HDMI input on the TV for connecting my laptop to watch Top Gear.  I'm guessing it might time to buy a receiver with 4 HDMI inputs.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DH3HSM-Digital-HDmi-Switch/dp/B00176PRPY

or www.monoprice.com has a ton of choices

Offline Nathan

« Reply #171: January 19, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
My roku is connected with component cables.  I can't tell the difference between HDMI and component HD, plus the Roku is streaming anyway, so it's not anything like BluRay quality in the first place.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #172: January 19, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »
My roku is connected with component cables.  I can't tell the difference between HDMI and component HD, plus the Roku is streaming anyway, so it's not anything like BluRay quality in the first place.

It has been found physically impossible to tell the difference, the HDMI is nice for the integrated audio.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #173: January 19, 2011, 10:23:59 PM »
I don't have any crazy audio system either, just the TV speakers, the Roku is in my bedroom for watching things while going to sleep or whatever, so not really the place for a surround sound system :lol:

Offline imref

« Reply #174: January 19, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DH3HSM-Digital-HDmi-Switch/dp/B00176PRPY

or www.monoprice.com has a ton of choices

thanks - of course i need something i can control with the harmony otherwise the wife will go nuts.  the "watch TV" button may have saved my marriage.