Author Topic: Private Messaging  (Read 13653 times)

Offline mjteggy05

Private Messaging
« Topic Start: July 06, 2005, 01:20:43 AM »
Don't how useful it would be now, but the private messaging option might be a good idea, especially for cases where someone might be trying to get rid of tix or buy some or something like that and people want to contact each other directly through the board. It's something to think about once the board starts growing.

caldercup0

Private Messaging
« Reply #1: July 06, 2005, 01:23:44 AM »
private messages are like ssential for any message board...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Private Messaging
« Reply #2: July 06, 2005, 01:25:40 AM »
Quote from: "mjteggy05"
Don't how useful it would be now, but the private messaging option might be a good idea, especially for cases where someone might be trying to get rid of tix or buy some or something like that and people want to contact each other directly through the board. It's something to think about once the board starts growing.

Yeah, I disabled it to begin with just to keep things simple, but I'm guessing that as we get more users, it will probably be enabled.  If there are more requests then I will be happy to enable it.  You're welcome to start a poll if you like.  Just keep in mind that things like PMs, attachments, etc. all eat up database space and increase server load.  That was my main concern and reason for not enabling PMs to begin with.

caldercup0

Private Messaging
« Reply #3: July 06, 2005, 01:26:45 AM »
I see your logic behind that

Offline The Chief

Private Messaging
« Reply #4: July 06, 2005, 01:34:21 AM »
Also I detest adverts of any sort, and hope to avoid them except as a last resort.  That said, if the database were to come close to capacity (not very likely but you never know) then the fastest ways to fix that problem would be A) disable PMs or B) delete older posts.  Since I figure that private messaging will be minimal on a sports discussion forum, and people won't miss something they never had to begin with, I thought it would be better not to enable PMs at all, and thus avoid having to prune any of our public messages.

There are legal concerns as well.  People start making deals or scalping tickets on here, pretty soon someone gets screwed on a deal and wants me to get involved in their small claims court case.  Or even worse, MLB for one reason or another decides that ticket scalpers are using these boards to conduct business illegally.  I admit these are pretty farfetched scenarios, BUT I'm just your average working joe like anyone else, and I really don't have time to become a part of other people's problems.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Private Messaging
« Reply #5: July 06, 2005, 01:37:26 AM »
PMs are overrated.

just use email.  :D

Offline The Chief

Private Messaging
« Reply #6: July 06, 2005, 01:47:20 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
PMs are overrated.

just use email.  :D

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how to enable member emailing without giving away everyone's email addresses to the spam demons, so for now that won't work either :(

Offline The Chief

Private Messaging
« Reply #7: July 06, 2005, 03:44:14 AM »
OK, email via the board is now up and running, so you should be able to email each other as long as you have the option for receiving email from other users enabled in your profile.

Offline mjteggy05

Private Messaging
« Reply #8: July 06, 2005, 12:51:19 PM »
Good call on the board email, I hadn't thought of that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Private Messaging
« Reply #9: September 18, 2005, 10:04:28 PM »
Chief, I've sent 3 private messages, and one email using the private messaging function recently, and received no indication the messages have been read.

1 PM and the email were to the Chief McSchreecherson hissselfff.  

It is entirely possible that I am being a bore, and nobody wants to respond to me, but it is also possible (hopefully) that the PM just isn't working right.  Thoughts?

Offline The Chief

Private Messaging
« Reply #10: September 19, 2005, 01:06:41 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Chief, I've sent 3 private messages, and one email using the private messaging function recently, and received no indication the messages have been read.

1 PM and the email were to the Chief McSchreecherson hissselfff.  

It is entirely possible that I am being a bore, and nobody wants to respond to me, but it is also possible (hopefully) that the PM just isn't working right.  Thoughts?

I don't check the email I set up for this board very often but if you sent me a PM I should have received it.  I just responded to your email as well, sorry about the delay.

I'll send you a PM now and we'll see if you get it.  If so, reply to it and we'll see what happens.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Private Messaging
« Reply #11: September 19, 2005, 08:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"

I don't check the email I set up for this board very often but if you sent me a PM I should have received it.  I just responded to your email as well, sorry about the delay.

I'll send you a PM now and we'll see if you get it.  If so, reply to it and we'll see what happens.

Chief, thanks for following up today.  I sent you a PM on Sept 11 titled "PM - diff between Outbox and sentbox".  It is showing in my Outbox as "read".  It looked today like our exchange was working but for a several day period may not have been.

Offline The Chief

Private Messaging
« Reply #12: September 19, 2005, 10:08:29 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Quote from: "The Chief"

Chief, thanks for following up today.  I sent you a PM on Sept 11 titled "PM - diff between Outbox and sentbox".  It is showing in my Outbox as "read".  It looked today like our exchange was working but for a several day period may not have been.

I remember reading that, I thought I sent a reply but maybe I'm going senile? :(