Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79782 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #225: February 05, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
Wrong thread.  Then again, we don't have a water thread, do we?

I guess you could cut the whiskey with it, if you were a wuss.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #226: February 05, 2010, 10:42:53 PM »
I guess you could cut the whiskey with it, if you were a wuss.

Is that a boilermaker?  J-Mad?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #227: February 06, 2010, 02:31:04 AM »
Is that a boilermaker?  J-Mad?

Boilermaker -

one tall glass of Beer.

one shot of whiskey

drop shot of Whiskey into glass of Beer. (that means drop the shotglass full of whiskey into the Beer Glass, don't pour the whiskey)

Chug.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #228: February 06, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »
If you drop Caol Isla into Natty Light, a demon bursts out of Hell and kicks you in the nuts.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #229: February 06, 2010, 01:13:26 PM »
Isn't that an Irish car bomb?  I suppose that is specifically Guinness and Jameson or Bushmills.

Boilermaker -

one tall glass of Beer.

one shot of whiskey

drop shot of Whiskey into glass of Beer. (that means drop the shotglass full of whiskey into the Beer Glass, don't pour the whiskey)

Chug.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #230: February 06, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
Isn't that an Irish car bomb?  I suppose that is specifically Guinness and Jameson or Bushmills.

You forgot the Bailey's.

3/4 pint Guinness® stout
1/2 shot Bailey's® Irish cream
1/2 shot Jameson® Irish whiskey

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #231: February 06, 2010, 04:31:59 PM »
You forgot the Bailey's.

the cream part is disgusting. I'd also be careful where you order that- a friend of mine tried it at an Irish Bar in Montreal- did not go over well.

I'm looking forward to sipping this

after I finish shoveling out my car tonight

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #232: February 06, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »
I didn't make the recipe. I don't like the drink or its name.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #233: February 06, 2010, 04:36:21 PM »
I didn't make the recipe. I don't like the drink or its name.

Everytime I've order it, its just been Jameson and Gluiness

http://beer.donavanhall.net/mixingitup/

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #234: February 06, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
Hardly the norm.

An Irish Car Bomb is a tasty little Irish variation of the common boilermaker. This high octane drink is usually made up of three quarters of a pint of Guinness stout beer, one half shot of Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur and one half shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey. Obviously the brands of ingredients is not a major significance, unless you really must have an authentic Irish Car Bomb. This volatile mixture will curdle rather quickly, therefore you are advised to drink an Irish Car Bomb rather quickly compared to other drinks.

The Irish Car Bomb is said to have been invented in 1979 in Wilson's Saloon, 76 Franklin St. Norwich, Ct., on St.Patrick's Day, by Charles Burke Cronin Oat. It was a variation of another drink he invented known as the Grandfather. Made of one half oz. (give or take) of Baileys and one quarter oz. (give or take) of Kahlua. After realizing that something was missing, Charles Burke Cronin Oat added some Jameson Irish Whiskey, as he did this he said "the IRA just showed up", due to the fact the mixture started to foam over like a little explosion. And with this invention, the Grandfather disappeared and a new drink, the IRA was born.

http://irishcarbomb.com/

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #235: February 06, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »

Irish Car Bomb is a shot of Irish Whiskey/Irish Cream (half and half) dropped into Stout.

Boilermaker is just regular Whiskey dropped into regular Beer.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #236: February 07, 2010, 07:40:31 AM »
I like a Bailey's Comet better.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #238: March 01, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
What would you go for between the two?

Captain Morgans Original Spiced Rum or Sailor Jerrys Navy Spiced Rum?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #239: March 01, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
Rye whisky was once a staple of the American liquor cabinet.  Today, it seems a novelty, or at best a tiny niche.

As it happens, I am part of an expedition headed out to an old moonshiner's cabin next weekend, and want to honor ol' Harvey by drinking something close to what he was known for, which was rye whisky.  At the local licquor store, I could only find two types - one a European, very expensive, the other a Wild Turkey 101 varietal, more reasonably priced.  I'll be sampling it for the first time upon arrival there.

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about rye spirits they care to share?

EDIT:  Upon further research, found some tasting notes, sounds like this might be better than I thought it would be.  And there's a couple of drinks in there for JMad to learn.

...Which is how we came to talk about Wild Turkey Rye Whiskey. Why do you make a rye, I asked. The answer was pure Jimmy Russell: "Well, I guess because we always have. People like it." The Rye is made pretty much like the bourbon, except there is about 65% rye in it (along with about 23% corn and 12% barley malt). I say "about" because Jimmy doesn't hold with giving out exact figures, or too much information in general. The rye's not a big seller -- no rye is, these days -- and they make pretty much all they need in one day a year of distilling.

Wild Turkey's Rye comes at the familiar 101 proof/50.5% alcohol by volume. The gorgeous hunter green label really sticks out on a shelf, and if you see this in a bar, take my advice: get it. Someone at the bar loves you, and has left this gift for you.

Open it up, and let's have a look. You can see that this is six year old whiskey; it's much darker than the 4 YO Jim Beam Rye, a dark amber. The nose is sweet, yet spicy and restrained. You can get some light leather notes, sour cherry or maybe blackberry, and a good dose of the mother grain itself, like a slice of rye bread. It's an earthy, solid aroma, makes you think of the steppes and broad fields of eastern Europe, where this spirit has its roots.

Taste the soothing fire. Rye is never subtle and will never be lovingly called "smoooooooooth." This is a drink for people who want something more than smooth. Yet while the explosion of zesty rye is detonated on your tongue, there is a big pillow of hot, 101 proof honey slapping down all around it, the hallmark of Wild Turkey whiskeys. This stuff goes absolutely vaporous in the mouth, fuming whiskey body and flavor like a cognac. It is rich, it is snappy, it is crisp and expansive. The rye comes on big in the aftertaste, along with a surprising thrill of peppermint. You know you've been drinking whiskey.

Try rye. I urge you. This was America's spirit, even before bourbon was, and it has been left behind, almost wiped out by Prohibition. Experience its fiery power and sweet soul. Try the classic Rye Presbyterian -- rye, ginger ale, and lots of ice in a tall glass -- or the Horse's Neck -- a spiral-peeled lemon zest trailed down the side of a tumbler, filled with ice, a double shot of rye, and topped off with ginger ale. Great hot weather drinks, and rye and ginger ale have a tremendous synergy.

I have a lot to say about rye whiskey in general, and I will probably say it in an upcoming review of Jim Beam Rye. For now, focus is the key: Wild Turkey Rye Whiskey is an incredibly good whiskey at any price, full of flavor, a boldly sophisticated drink that gives any single malt a good run for its money. At the price you are asked to pay, it is a laughingly great bargain. If you don't know rye, here's a graduate level education in a glass.

http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Wild_Turkey_Rye_101_proof/fddk-review-1843-339B9C0-391B7211-prod1

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #240: March 02, 2010, 02:18:46 PM »
I like those strange random bottles of booze people bring from overseas airport duty free stores[...]

Not to be missed if you're flying back from London: the duty-free shop at Heathrow Terminal 5 with its superb selection of single-malt Scotch (good selection of blends too). It's run (at least as of my last trip there, this past December) in large part by the same people who staffed the Scotch section at the Terminal 4 duty free before British Airways migrated to T5 - not just great selection but free single-malt tastings too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #241: March 17, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Happy St. Patrick's Day!   Time for a pickleback.

A glass of Power's Irish Whiskey, with a pickle juice chaser.  I'm going for Mount Olive Kosher Dill juice. 

Sublime!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #242: March 17, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
:spaz: Really? :shock:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #243: March 17, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
:spaz: Really? :shock:

Google "pickleback".    :thumbs:    :clap:    :glug:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #244: March 17, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »

Eewe !!!

I'll stick with Guiness

Happy St. Patrick's Day!   Time for a pickleback.

A glass of Power's Irish Whiskey, with a pickle juice chaser.  I'm going for Mount Olive Kosher Dill juice. 

Sublime!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #245: March 17, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
Google "pickleback".    :thumbs:    :clap:    :glug:
Don't get me wrong, I've been known to take a few sips of pickle juice when the jar is empty before throwing it out :-[

But using it as a chaser?  Wouldn't the acid just cause it to burn?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #246: March 17, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

Eewe !!!

They once said the same about peanut butter and jelly, too. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #247: March 17, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »
They once said the same about peanut butter and jelly, too. 

And the world outside of North America still does.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #248: March 17, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
And the world outside of North America still does.

There's a world outside North America?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #249: March 17, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »
Yep.  Mexico.