Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79798 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #1325: March 31, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »
:-[

Although it's mostly that I'm brain addled.  Had 10 cubic yards of mulch dumped in my driveway a week ago and am down to about a yard left.  For you math challenged out there, each cubic yard = 9 of the large 3 cubic foot bags, so I had 90 bags worth delivered.  I then weeded, put down weed barrier and nutrients in the gardens and have almost completed the pitchfork/wheelbarrow process of hauling and spreading around the yard.  I also put in a couple of stiff hikes in Shenandoah NP last week, so physically I'm kicking ass (for a geezer) but mentally not keeping pace.
That sounds like work to me.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1326: March 31, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
That sounds like work to me.

Yeah that’s what they have illegals for.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1327: March 31, 2021, 05:37:19 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1328: March 31, 2021, 06:10:59 PM »
You know, you can hire landscapers. :)

I only spread 5 bags yesterday after weeding and trimming back shrubs.

What hikes?

Rust never sleeps!   Yardwork is underrated for keeping active.   Anyway, we did a couple of back to back bushwacking trips, i.e. mostly off trail.  First, we parked on 211 halfway up the mountain towards Thornton Gap from Sperryville, and hiked up the Pass Mountain trail 0.6m, before turning off and headed down into the Butternut Hollow area, that has no trails but was once the site of a very active hollow community.  We worked our way to the edge of the park, then hiked UP and over the mountain to the north, and down into the Thornton River hollow.  We headed up, then turned left up Frazer hollow all the way back to Pass Mtn Trail again.  While only about 7.2m in total and 1,800 vertical climb, there was a lot of underbrush we had to forge our way through.  Still, not a person, plenty of old artifacts to see.

Second, we parked on Skyline at the Naked Creek Overlook around MP54, and headed down to a set of amazing falls, only 0.7 downhill, but VERY steep.  Underbrush wasn't nearly as dense as Frazer, but a lot of loose shale under the leaf debris posed footing challenges.  Still these falls are really worth the effort.  We continued then down along the stream almost to the edge of the park, but started running out of time so eventually turned around.  Alltrails said this was 5.7m, 1,400' gain.  Both these bushwacking trips were harder then the raw stats would indicate due to the underbrush and questionable footing.  On Pass mtn area we used old sunken road beds as navigational guides but there are so many trees down across the beds you can't reasonably hike in them. 

I'd recommend Naked Creek to anyone into waterfalls.  Butternut Hollow is excellent for historical exploration - see Sue Eisefeld's story largely drawn from her book on exploring certain formerly occupied areas in the park.   https://www.sueeisenfeld.com/uploads/2/4/1/8/24184314/butterwood_branch.pdf

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1329: March 31, 2021, 06:15:48 PM »
those sound like tough hikes. I've never bushwhacked (intentionally).  I've been trying to get the family out onto the AT but the wife isn't up to anything more than 3-4 miles right now. We did about 4 in Shenandoah River State Park a few weeks ago as well that was spectacular. A few buddies and I are thinking about a section hike on the AT in September from Harpers Ferry south through the roller-coaster.

How do you typically figure out your path when you are bushwhacking? I assume all trails and hiking upward aren't much help. :-)

Have you ever done anything in Dolly Sods?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1330: March 31, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »
those sound like tough hikes. I've never bushwhacked (intentionally).  I've been trying to get the family out onto the AT but the wife isn't up to anything more than 3-4 miles right now. We did about 4 in Shenandoah River State Park a few weeks ago as well that was spectacular. A few buddies and I are thinking about a section hike on the AT in September from Harpers Ferry south through the roller-coaster.

How do you typically figure out your path when you are bushwhacking? I assume all trails and hiking upward aren't much help. :-)

My fluid plan is to do a 4 miler "easy" hike once a week with my wife, who similarly to yours can't handle any more.  Though we did a loop trail (Pyrite Mine) in Prince William Forest Park yesterday that was very nice.  It was more like 4.5 after I added a bit of stream distance however.    :lol:

Then, I try to do a strenuous one with my hiking buddy who just retired, so we can do weekdays.  Toughest 2 we've done were a big trail loop past the Cave Falls in SNP, and another loop up over Robertson Peak, which is adjacent to Old Rag but slightly higher, about a 9 miler.  We're about to stop the bushwhacking for the season, cause ticks.  My friend has had Lyme 4 times now and getting tired of it.

On the easy wife hikes, done loops at Antietam, Chancellorsville, and Harper's Ferry battlefield parks.  Shenandoah River State Park was another really nice loop we did, that went along the river for a long stretch.  Big Meadows and the Blueridge Center for Environmental Stewardship property were a couple more  of these semi-easy ones.  I also try to dangle a visit to a brewpub or winery as extra incentive.  Dirt Farm has AMAZING views back east.

To a couple of your questions - All trails is usually able to track my route, but often I can't get a map of where I am to load due to poor reception in the park.  We always carry the section map, and I'd carry my compass if I could find the damn thing.  Usuallly when done a hike the Alltrails is able to finish the stats up by overlaying our path on the map and calculating the route taken.  But, you CANNOT rely on it for in-park navigation.  It does however force you to look around more, see ridges, valleys, learn the land.

I've been to Dolly Sods for camping or backpacking a few times, but not recently.  It's FAR more crowded than it used to be I hear.  There is a Facebook site for the Sods, as well as a really good one for SNP Hikers that I sometimes post on.  I'd highly recommend that site for learning more about the park and getting ideas and advice. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1331: March 31, 2021, 08:50:55 PM »

Komoot can track you if you have a cell signal and overlays trail maps. Garmin watches will do the same. If you are relying solely on either and your battery dies, you’re in a though spot though

Offline imref

« Reply #1332: March 31, 2021, 09:57:26 PM »
I use avenza for offline tracking. You just have to install the maps in advance

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1333: April 01, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
OC - a new English (style) Pub is opening soon in Vienna, Va, called Hawk & Griffin.

Before COVID I became acquainted with one of the 2 owners of this project, Tom is an architect with a keen interest in the UK style pubs from years of travel to England.  He's really putting a lot of $ into making the inside authentic and he is targeting the UK expat community with the sports offerings and food/beverages.  Last i heard it may open in April.

https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/09/14/new-british-pub-coming-to-vienna-offers-community-gathering-spaces/

Might check it out once this Covid/social-distancing stuff blows over. Doesn't look too far from Vienna Metro station either.

Offline imref

« Reply #1334: April 04, 2021, 06:50:55 PM »
Is there a better pre-dinner drink than an aperol spritz?

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/aperol-spritz/

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1335: April 17, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »
Please say it isn't so: calorie labelling coming to British adult beverages in pubs - https://www.standard.co.uk/business/calorie-labels-pints-pubs-mandatory-government-b929688.html

The pubs (and hospitality industry generally) in Britain are on their knees as it is...why kick them again while they're down?

Offline imref

« Reply #1337: June 28, 2021, 11:16:11 AM »
We went last Friday to Mularkey's in Bristow for their "Papi" hour and had a fantastic time. Mularkey's is a local distillery that produces vodka, white whiskey-based infusions, gin, and aged whiskeys. We've tried most of what they sell and have enjoyed just about everything (their gin is the only gin I've had that doesn't taste like a pine tree).

For $30 per-person, the "Papi" hour gets you two cocktails from a menu of about 30 choices, made by their master distiller. Seating is limited and requires advanced ticket purchase. I had two Heritage Whiskey-based drinks (their bourbon) that were both amazing. One was his take on a whiskey sour, the other was his take on an old fashioned. They also provide samples of any of their whiskeys or infusions that are created at the bar but are not available for sale.  The servers and Papi spend a lot of time with the customers explaining the drinks and the infusions.

Overall it was a bit pricey, but a fantastic experience - highly recommended.  Their whiskeys are available at most Virginia ABC stores.  https://murlarkey.com/visit-us/papi-hour/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1338: June 28, 2021, 08:07:04 PM »
Friend and I went last week to the second day open for Hawk and Griffin in Vienna.  They have a very large gin selection, and also a recommended tonic to pair with each one should you want tonic with your gin.  Talking to the co-owner, his wife is a big fan of gins and she selected the tonic pair for each based on her knowledge and taste.  They are emphasizing gins as one of several niches they are targeting.

The gin menu:

https://www.hawkgriffin.com/menus/#gin

At the risk of having a mod squash me for being off-topic, they also have some interesting beer selections including 4 bitters - two imported and two made for them nearby - one from Chincoteague, the other from Dynasty in Ashburn.   Loved the Dynasty, and the Fuller from England.  We tried all of them of course.   :)

https://www.hawkgriffin.com/menus/#beer

EDIT - I see from the menu they've replaced the Chincoteague bitter with a hand-pull IPA from Dynasty

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1339: December 16, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
Happy Centenary to the Bloody Mary, first mixed in Paris on this day in 1921.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1340: December 16, 2021, 09:23:02 AM »
Papa needed his veg  :P
Happy Centenary to the Bloody Mary, first mixed in Paris on this day in 1922.

Offline imref

« Reply #1341: December 16, 2021, 10:40:19 AM »
darn, is it OK to have one with lunch?

That distillery I mentioned above (MurLarkey) sells a salsa whiskey that makes great Bloody Mary's

We also got down to Silverback distillery a few weeks ago near Afton, VA.  That's the one owned by former Congressman Denver Riggleman's wife and daughter.  They have a honey whiskey that's decent, and the make a great smoked old fashioned, but I wasn't impressed with their other whiskeys.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #1342: December 16, 2021, 11:46:34 AM »
Have a go at pronouncing this one - Auchroisk (Speyside, Scotland)  ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1343: December 16, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Is that one of those malts with the single-use cork that won't go back in? 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1344: December 16, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »
Is that one of those malts with the single-use cork that won't go back in? 

Don't recall having difficulties of that sort, but The Singleton of Auchroisk is one of the best Speyside malts I've ever tasted. Back in 1994 they had a tasting at Selfridges, and there was once an off-licence near where I worked in pre-pandemic days that had several bottles which I think I ended up buying out; one could also get it at the duty-free shops and World of Whiskies at Heathrow airport (finest selection of Scotch whisky anywhere). Unfortunately I haven't seen it anywhere since roughly the turn of the century.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #1345: December 16, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
Egg nog:  What do you good folks use to spike yours? 

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #1346: December 16, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »
The Singleton of Auchroisk is one of the best Speyside malts I've ever tasted.

Interesting - as Auchroisk (that's 'Or-thrusk', to resolve my previous...) is rather different to many Speyside distilleries; modern, almost tech-factory like (clean). It isn't open to the public, but (through the work I was doing at the time) I was invited to pay a visit. The stillroom is fully tiled, and is used to hold ceremonial company (then United Distillers, now Diageo) 'event' dinners. You can also look out of the window and see the weather coming up the Mulben - so you get about 10 minutes warning of impending snow / blizzards...

The 'Singleton' name was adopted because of the difficulty in pronouncing 'Auchroisk'...

Offline imref

« Reply #1347: December 16, 2021, 05:42:34 PM »
Egg nog:  What do you good folks use to spike yours? 

Bourbon and fresh grated nutmeg. Stir with a stick of cinnamon.

Offline imref

« Reply #1348: November 16, 2022, 12:04:04 AM »
50+ years and i've never had a Negroni, until tonight. There may be no finer cocktail.

Online blue911

« Reply #1349: November 16, 2022, 07:01:08 AM »
50+ years and i've never had a Negroni, until tonight. There may be no finer cocktail.

Old Fashioned don’t suck either.