Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79730 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #1300: February 28, 2021, 08:24:23 PM »
Wasn't there a TV ad back in the day for some macro piss that advertised "the beer for when you are having more than one"?

PBR should never be served or even sold in units smaller than a pitcher.  Maybe a keg.

Schaeffer

Make sure you catch the jingle at the end.

:hysterical:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1301: February 28, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
Schaeffer

Make sure you catch the jingle at the end.

:hysterical:

This was unquestionably the worst beer I've ever had.  In the fall of 1972 while at Bradley University in Peoria, IL, you could buy a case for under $1.00.  Being on a $1.00 budget...I sprung for a case. 

I had part of one can of that case and pitched the rest...swore that it tasted like yeast.  Not surprisingly, google finds a recipe for Huber beer bread...though I hope the two aren't related...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1302: February 28, 2021, 09:47:07 PM »
Different bars here in OBX have a $1 day for the thirst killing needs.  Of course, the real purpose is to get folks in that end up buying other beverages and food.

We were walking on the beach at Carolina Beach and found a bar on the boardwalk there (Beach Bumz) that sells $1 beer. A quintessential dive bar but beer in a can for buck.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1303: February 28, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »
In college we had a challenge with some friends one night to find the worst beer. The winner returned with a 64oz generic bottle with a white label that said “big beer”. It was $.85.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1304: February 28, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »
In college we had a challenge with some friends one night to find the worst beer. The winner returned with a 64oz generic bottle with a white label that said “big beer”. It was $.85.

The brickskeller was great for that- we used to try to find the most godawful skunked covered in a half inch of dust bottles for each other

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1305: March 01, 2021, 08:30:33 AM »
Wasn't there a TV ad back in the day for some macro piss that advertised "the beer for when you are having more than one"?[...]

That was Schaefer - I used to drink it when I was living in Puerto Rico. Wasn't that bad actually, particularly when it was still brewed in Brooklyn.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1306: March 01, 2021, 08:37:33 AM »
Wasn’t Schaefer the one with the ad where they carved the mug out of ice and then poured the beer in it?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1307: March 01, 2021, 08:56:50 AM »
Wasn’t Schaefer the one with the ad where they carved the mug out of ice and then poured the beer in it?

If it isn't on youtube it didn't exist. :mg:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1309: March 01, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »
Wasn't there a TV ad back in the day for some macro piss that advertised "the beer for when you are having more than one"? 

PBR should never be served or even sold in units smaller than a pitcher.  Maybe a keg. 
Schaeffer. Schaeffer / is the / one beer to have when you're having more than one.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1310: March 01, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »
Funny. Now they call it a session beer and charge a lot more than they did for that Schaeffer

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1311: March 01, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »
Funny. Now they call it a session beer and charge a lot more than they did for that Schaeffer

I love that ad I posted above, hard working executive arrives home, the little lady is ready to greet him at the door with a kiss, and his fridge is ready with a six of Schaeffers ready for him to relax having "more than one".   Damn near makes me want to make America Great Again.     :hysterical:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1312: March 01, 2021, 08:01:46 PM »
how about "Yoo-hoo? Mabel. Black Label. Beer."  Carlilng.  Used to have a brewery on Lake Cochichuate in Natick.  Pretty location, with a waterfall out of the factory into the lake.  I guess it was effluent. May have been treated for local ordinances, but this is before the Clean Water Act.  Cochichuate might not have been waters of the US jurisdiction. 

Offline imref

« Reply #1313: March 01, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »
I love that ad I posted above, hard working executive arrives home, the little lady is ready to greet him at the door with a kiss, and his fridge is ready with a six of Schaeffers ready for him to relax having "more than one".   Damn near makes me want to make America Great Again.     :hysterical:

My dad used to drink Schaeffer or Miller. Both horrible beers.  National Bohemian was pretty bad.  But I lived on Milwaukee’s Best in college.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1314: March 01, 2021, 09:11:33 PM »
I've enjoyed the Pabst chocolate ale in a can.  But it's not as good as a good porter, stoudt, or scotch ale

how about "Yoo-hoo? Mabel. Black Label. Beer."  Carlilng.  Used to have a brewery on Lake Cochichuate in Natick.  Pretty location, with a waterfall out of the factory into the lake.  I guess it was effluent. May have been treated for local ordinances, but this is before the Clean Water Act.  Cochichuate might not have been waters of the US jurisdiction. 

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #1315: March 01, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
I've enjoyed the Pabst chocolate ale in a can.

Is that like pouring a shot of grain in a Yoo-hoo?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1316: March 01, 2021, 10:05:41 PM »
That is so vivid I could taste it

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1317: March 01, 2021, 10:57:33 PM »
It could be - or a shot of something in a Yoo Hoo

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1319: March 31, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »
OC - a new English (style) Pub is opening soon in Vienna, Va, called Hawk & Griffin.

Before COVID I became acquainted with one of the 2 owners of this project, Tom is an architect with a keen interest in the UK style pubs from years of travel to England.  He's really putting a lot of $ into making the inside authentic and he is targeting the UK expat community with the sports offerings and food/beverages.  Last i heard it may open in April.

https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/09/14/new-british-pub-coming-to-vienna-offers-community-gathering-spaces/

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1320: March 31, 2021, 03:53:08 PM »
OC - a new English (style) Pub is opening soon in Vienna, Va, called Hawk & Griffin.

Before COVID I became acquainted with one of the 2 owners of this project, Tom is an architect with a keen interest in the UK style pubs from years of travel to England.  He's really putting a lot of $ into making the inside authentic and he is targeting the UK expat community with the sports offerings and food/beverages.  Last i heard it may open in April.

https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2020/09/14/new-british-pub-coming-to-vienna-offers-community-gathering-spaces/

You must be retired...only took a few weeks to forget that you already posted this.  Don't feel bad...wouldn't have taken me that long...  ;)

In the meantime however, a new "English pub" will soon be opening in Vienna Va.  (great timing)  Prior to COVID I became acquainted with the primary owner of this pub.  He's an architect who became very fond of the English pub scene on his visits there and is trying to replicate the experience here.  He wants to really target UK expats who are looking for a home away from home, place to watch premier football, etc.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1321: March 31, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »
You must be retired...only took a few weeks to forget that you already posted this.  Don't feel bad...wouldn't have taken me that long...  ;)

:doh:

I wondered if I had already posted something on that, so I did a word search for "Hawk", presuming I would have used the name, and found nothing.  So I determined I had not posted anything already.   :asplode:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1322: March 31, 2021, 04:08:13 PM »
:doh:

I wondered if I had already posted something on that, so I did a word search for "Hawk", presuming I would have used the name, and found nothing.  So I determined I had not posted anything already.   :asplode:

:old:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1323: March 31, 2021, 04:58:02 PM »
:old:

:-[

Although it's mostly that I'm brain addled.  Had 10 cubic yards of mulch dumped in my driveway a week ago and am down to about a yard left.  For you math challenged out there, each cubic yard = 9 of the large 3 cubic foot bags, so I had 90 bags worth delivered.  I then weeded, put down weed barrier and nutrients in the gardens and have almost completed the pitchfork/wheelbarrow process of hauling and spreading around the yard.  I also put in a couple of stiff hikes in Shenandoah NP last week, so physically I'm kicking ass (for a geezer) but mentally not keeping pace.

Offline imref

« Reply #1324: March 31, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
You know, you can hire landscapers. :)

I only spread 5 bags yesterday after weeding and trimming back shrubs.

What hikes?