Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 80749 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #1125: September 26, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »
Here’s a cheat sheet

(Image removed from quote.)

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste no wonder England took us over.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1126: September 26, 2018, 07:21:30 PM »
Here’s a cheat sheet

(Image removed from quote.)

Keeeeeeeeeeeerissssssssssssssssste, he wants to get a bottle of scotch not prepare for the SAT.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1127: September 26, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeerissssssssssssssssste, he wants to get a bottle of scotch not prepare for the SAT.

Meh, I enjoyed working through the regions before I said freak it and switched to bourbon

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1128: September 26, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »
I didn't realize there were so many "opinions" about scotch.     I figured scotch was scotch.     :shrug:

There's the blended scotches that we're all familiar with Johnny Walker, Ballantines, Dewars, etc. And then you cross over into the single malts like the one I provided the link to.  I figured if your friend is around our age he'd want the nicer stuff like the single malts which for $50 isn't extravagent (like MG's suggestion :hysterical: ) but would be appreciated by most scotch drinkers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1129: September 26, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
There's the blended scotches that we're all familiar with Johnny Walker, Ballantines, Dewars, etc. And then you cross over into the single malts like the one I provided the link to.  I figured if your friend is around our age he'd want the nicer stuff like the single malts which for $50 isn't extravagent (like MG's suggestion :hysterical: ) but would be appreciated by most scotch drinkers.

The reason I put in a link was the stuff you suggested is about as strongly peaty as scotch gets- great if you like that, not so much if you don’t

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1130: September 26, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
The reason I put in a link was the stuff you suggested is about as strongly peaty as scotch gets- great if you like that, not so much if you don’t

I have to admit the first time I tasted Laphroaig with that peat taste, I thought about crossing over to the dark side. It was unlike anything I've ever had, it was so good.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1131: September 26, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
I have to admit the first time I tasted Laphroaig with that peat taste, I thought about crossing over to the dark side. It was unlike anything I've ever had, it was so good.

I thought it tasted like dirt. That's the way it goes with single malts.

I switched to good Irish whisky. It's simple. Like me.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1132: September 26, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »

It's why I go to the base      ....     rum.    :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1133: September 26, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »

So there you are mit, a referral from someone who likes scotch and and a negative review from someone who doesn’t even drink it.  :hysterical:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1134: September 26, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »
I had something unique last night - a smoked Old Fashioned.  The bartender used a torch to heat up some cherry wood, then captured the smoke in a damp glass, then made a traditional old fashioned in the glass.  There were some light hints of smoke but it wasn't overwhelming.  You could probably get the same taste notes with a drop or two of liquid smoke.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1135: September 26, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
So there you are mit, a referral from someone who likes scotch and and a negative review from someone who doesn’t even drink it.  :hysterical:

I don't much care for it frankly.  Bourbon > rye > Irish are where I center my attention.

THey say it's an acquired taste, maybe I'm just a bit slow in acquiring it. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1136: September 26, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
I had something unique last night - a smoked Old Fashioned.  The bartender used a torch to heat up some cherry wood, then captured the smoke in a damp glass, then made a traditional old fashioned in the glass.  There were some light hints of smoke but it wasn't overwhelming.  You could probably get the same taste notes with a drop or two of liquid smoke.

I saw that last year for the first time at the Copper Fox Distillery in Sperryville.  She used a smoldering apple chip and captured some smoke in a glass, then served us their latest single malt which had been finished in apple brandy barrels. Copper Fox smokes the barley (before fermentation) with apple and cherry wood chips, they have a wood stove in a room and crank it up.  Then, they put tea bags with apple and cherry chips into the barrels while aging to impart flavor and enable shortened aging cycles.  I really enjoyed the smokey glass and have kept a stock of chips for serving guests since.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1137: September 26, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »
I saw that last year for the first time at the Copper Fox Distillery in Sperryville.  She used a smoldering apple chip and captured some smoke in a glass, then served us their latest single malt which had been finished in apple brandy barrels. Copper Fox smokes the barley (before fermentation) with apple and cherry wood chips, they have a wood stove in a room and crank it up.  Then, they put tea bags with apple and cherry chips into the barrels while aging to impart flavor and enable shortened aging cycles.  I really enjoyed the smokey glass and have kept a stock of chips for serving guests since.

:az:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1138: September 26, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
But a bottle of Oban 14. It’s reasonably priced, smooth and a good entry level scotch. Almost everyone I know that has tasted it has said it’s a good scotch.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1139: September 27, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
I like Laphroaig (sp?)...pretty reasonable as malts go and peaty as hell. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1140: September 27, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »
The new Whisky Advocate this quarter does a deep dive into smoky taste, lots of focus on Scotch.  Plenty of buy recommendations in all price tiers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1141: September 27, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
I like Laphroaig (sp?)...pretty reasonable as malts go and peaty as hell. 

if I wanted that flavor, I'd just drink robitussin

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1142: September 27, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
enjoy  :P

Offline blue911

« Reply #1143: September 27, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
Balvenie 12 doesn't suck.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1144: September 27, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
If he doesn't mind blended Whisky, The Dewars 12 is surprisingly good.

If he's a single malt drinker, well, good luck. I hate all that peat-y bullcrap, so I know nothing.

I picked up a bottle of Dewar's 12.    If they don't like it, you'll be visited by a Marine officer.    ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1145: September 27, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
if I wanted that flavor, I'd just drink robitussin

Apparently some whisky makers now publish their smoke count - phenol parts per million.

I brought back a peaty Irish whiskey on my last trip - Commenara Single Malt, at 14 ppm.  Laphroaig 10 is 40-50 ppm,  and Octomore 8.3 atop the scale at 309 ppm.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1146: September 27, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
Apparently some whisky makers now publish their smoke count - phenol parts per million.

I brought back a peaty Irish whiskey on my last trip - Commenara Single Malt, at 14 ppm.  Laphroaig 10 is 40-50 ppm,  and Octomore 8.3 atop the scale at 309 ppm.

It’s like the obsession brewers had with chinook hops- thank gosh that phase seems to be ending

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1147: September 27, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
I picked up a bottle of Dewar's 12.    If they don't like it, you'll be visited by a Marine officer.    ;)

Too pedestrian. But we are talking marines.  :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1148: September 28, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »

Make sure he's had a couple first, I might be able to get a punch in before he kills me.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1149: September 28, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
Make sure he's had a couple first, I might be able to get a punch in before he kills me.

....   and a gentleman.