Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 81982 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #1325: March 31, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »
those sound like tough hikes. I've never bushwhacked (intentionally).  I've been trying to get the family out onto the AT but the wife isn't up to anything more than 3-4 miles right now. We did about 4 in Shenandoah River State Park a few weeks ago as well that was spectacular. A few buddies and I are thinking about a section hike on the AT in September from Harpers Ferry south through the roller-coaster.

How do you typically figure out your path when you are bushwhacking? I assume all trails and hiking upward aren't much help. :-)

Have you ever done anything in Dolly Sods?

My fluid plan is to do a 4 miler "easy" hike once a week with my wife, who similarly to yours can't handle any more.  Though we did a loop trail (Pyrite Mine) in Prince William Forest Park yesterday that was very nice.  It was more like 4.5 after I added a bit of stream distance however.    :lol:

Then, I try to do a strenuous one with my hiking buddy who just retired, so we can do weekdays.  Toughest 2 we've done were a big trail loop past the Cave Falls in SNP, and another loop up over Robertson Peak, which is adjacent to Old Rag but slightly higher, about a 9 miler.  We're about to stop the bushwhacking for the season, cause ticks.  My friend has had Lyme 4 times now and getting tired of it.

On the easy wife hikes, done loops at Antietam, Chancellorsville, and Harper's Ferry battlefield parks.  Shenandoah River State Park was another really nice loop we did, that went along the river for a long stretch.  Big Meadows and the Blueridge Center for Environmental Stewardship property were a couple more  of these semi-easy ones.  I also try to dangle a visit to a brewpub or winery as extra incentive.  Dirt Farm has AMAZING views back east.

To a couple of your questions - All trails is usually able to track my route, but often I can't get a map of where I am to load due to poor reception in the park.  We always carry the section map, and I'd carry my compass if I could find the damn thing.  Usuallly when done a hike the Alltrails is able to finish the stats up by overlaying our path on the map and calculating the route taken.  But, you CANNOT rely on it for in-park navigation.  It does however force you to look around more, see ridges, valleys, learn the land.

I've been to Dolly Sods for camping or backpacking a few times, but not recently.  It's FAR more crowded than it used to be I hear.  There is a Facebook site for the Sods, as well as a really good one for SNP Hikers that I sometimes post on.  I'd highly recommend that site for learning more about the park and getting ideas and advice.