Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 83769 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #1025: June 18, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Lightweights.  Brunch at 1:00 and in bed by 9:00??  Might as well just skip the freaking day drinking and do Sanka, watercress sandwiches, and shuffleboard instead.   

This is a very interesting article

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/how-to-day-drink-day-drinking-tips-thrillist-nation?ref=facebook-869

Offline kessej

« Reply #1026: June 19, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »
just back from trip rond Germany and there's nothing on my mind but beer. Feels like I'm born again, it tastes so good. Don't understand why my life is so unfair that I live on the other side of the Atlantic (though maybe then I wouldn't appreciate it as much, who knows) anyways I've even started thinking to buy commercial property in Berlin and open my own bar. That would be my dream come true :( the best bar I saw in Berlin was Prater Garten - the oldest one in the city. quality food, simple and tasty. and beers! :cheers:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1027: June 22, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
Picked up a bottle of vermouth tonight.  Not just any vermouth though, this:  http://www.carpano.com/en/prodotto/antica-formula-2/

I'm a manhattan lover and had run out of my cheap stuff, decided to try something with a rep.  Not bad.  Quite a subcurrent of fresh vanilla.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1028: June 22, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »
Maybe one day...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline whytev

« Reply #1030: June 23, 2017, 01:07:01 AM »
Maybe one day...

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd try to make that last longer than that.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1031: June 23, 2017, 07:17:23 AM »
...maybe one day: Viru Valge vodka, Estonia's finest, the world's best...

[a bloke can dream]

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1032: July 12, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
Blind tasting of 21 pours by a Houston bourbon group.  NAS = No Age Statement, and distiller is noted before the brand.  Two of my favorite staples are bolded.  Note too that price does not correlate with preference very much at all.

HBS Blind 21 bourbon tastings. Finished! Here are the final rankings:

1. Brown-Forman Old Forester 1920 NAS 115 proof - $54
2. Barton 1792 Full Proof NAS 125 proof - $42
3. HH Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 12 year 138.8 proof Release 10 - $65
4. Jim Beam Old Grand-dad NAS 114 proof - $23
5. Wild Turkey 101 NAS 101 proof - $16

6. Brown-Forman Jack Daniels Barrel Proof NAS 131.2 proof - $59 (and YES it's a bourbon)
7. Four Roses Single Barrel NAS 100 proof - $36
8. Maker's Mark NAS 90 proof - $22
9. Pappy 60/40 blend - Barrel pick NCF OWA / 2014 Weller 12 - Mixed 4/18/17 - $30
10. Diageo Orphan barrel series - Forged Oak 15 year 90.5 proof - $110
11. Buffalo Trace - EH Taylor Barrel Proof NAS 129 proof - Batch 3 - $87
12. Buffalo Trace NAS 90 proof - $23
13. 2014 Michter's 10 year 94.4 proof - $140
14. Buffalo Trace - Stagg Jr. NAS 134.4 proof Batch 1 - $55
15. Calumet Farms NAS 86 proof - Total Wine Store Pick - $47
16. Jim Beam Bookers 129 proof batch 2016-3 - $60
17. Smooth Ambler (sourced from MGPi) Old Scout 11 year 100.6 proof - bottled on 10-7-16 - $60
18. Buffalo Trace - Eagle Rare 10 year 90 proof - $30
19. HH Evan Williams Black NAS 86 proof - $11
20. Jim Beam Black NAS 86 proof - $18
21. Whitmeyer's 90 proof - Barrel selection #1 April 2015 - $87

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/25243-21-bourbons-blind-tasting/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1033: November 14, 2017, 09:54:10 PM »
In the Vienna ABC yesterday to pick up Old Forester 100 at the modest fee of 21.99 and saw Wild Turkey Rare Breed 375's for $15 ea.  112.8 proof single barrel, my curiosity was piqued.  They had a 750 on sale even - $45.  You don't need to be a mathguy to know that $15 for a 375 is a better deal than the 750 was.  And the 375 wasn't even on sale.   :wtf:

I had seen a similar thing with Blanton's a few months ago, am beginning to see a pattern.

I bought two of the WTRB's, as well as 2 of the Old Forester, which is fast becoming my preferred staple.    :woop:   :glug:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1034: November 14, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »
Are you saying I'm an alcoholic ?

In the Vienna ABC yesterday to pick up Old Forester 100 at the modest fee of 21.99 and saw Wild Turkey Rare Breed 375's for $15 ea.  112.8 proof single barrel, my curiosity was piqued.  They had a 750 on sale even - $45.  You don't need to be a mathguy to know that $15 for a 375 is a better deal than the 750 was.  And the 375 wasn't even on sale.   :wtf:

I had seen a similar thing with Blanton's a few months ago, am beginning to see a pattern.

I bought two of the WTRB's, as well as 2 of the Old Forester, which is fast becoming my preferred staple.    :woop:   :glug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1035: November 25, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »
Picked up the summer Whisky Advocate out of the rack and paging through, had totally overlooked a page featuring Ryan Zimmerman.

He's a new fan of the stuff and credits other players, most notably Tanner Roark, for kindling his interest.  He likes Woodford Reserve, Jefferson's Reserve, Old Forester, and "pretty much anything from Buffalo Trace", and High West.

For a special occasion he'd take Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

Article notes he also made a trip to Kentucky (before 2017 season) to select a private bottling of Woodford Reserve for The Salt Line restaurant.

:clap:  (though I would have gone Old Forester for the private bottling, but that's just a nit)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1036: February 05, 2018, 02:06:04 PM »
Congratulations!
You have been awarded the opportunity to purchase
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon.

Thank you for submitting an online entry to reserve the opportunity to purchase Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Bourbon. You were selected to receive the opportunity to purchase a bottle. Your bottle will be shipped within 21 days to the store you selected on your entry form. When your bottle is ready for pickup, the store will contact you by phone or email. Payment in the amount of $69.99 plus sales tax is required at the time of pickup. You must show your photo ID, which must match the name submitted on the entry form, to complete the purchase.

:woop:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1037: February 12, 2018, 07:14:02 AM »
Jameson Caskmates (Irish whiskey finished in IPA barrels - familiar by now to anyone who uses Gallery Place Metro station)...tried some this weekend; not bad.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1038: February 12, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
:woop:

A connoisseur's dream come true.     :clap:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1039: February 25, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »
I almost never touch the hard stuff, but I've been watching Moonshiners and decided that I'd give it a shot. About four sips into some Climax I'm not sure if I like it but I know that it does the job.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1040: February 25, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »
I almost never touch the hard stuff, but I've been watching Moonshiners and decided that I'd give it a shot. About four sips into some Climax I'm not sure if I like it but I know that it does the job.

I had some maybe 45 years ago...just a shot or 2.  The real backwoods stuff from one of my/father's relatives of some sort.

I woke up "blind", and a friend of mine slept for 24 hours straight...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1041: February 25, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
I had some maybe 45 years ago...just a shot or 2.  The real backwoods stuff from one of my/father's relatives of some sort.

I woke up "blind", and a friend of mine slept for 24 hours straight...

According to the show this is supposed to be as real as it gets from a legal distillery. It's a Virginia product, I looked up Climax, VA on Google Maps and talk about a small town, it's a gas station and a general store in the middle of nowhere.

Not sure I'd trust the real product, too easy to mix toxins in with the booze, sounds like what you got.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1042: February 25, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »

Buddy of mine's dad was from NC.    Buddy brought some back with him one time.    He told me you can determine how good the shine is by pouring some in a lid/bottle cap and lighting it on fire.     I guess the flame is the give-away.     I think he said something about the tip/top of the flame being blue and the bottom clear is the good stuff.      :shrug:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1043: February 25, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
Not sure I'd trust the real product, too easy to mix toxins in with the booze, sounds like what you got.

I've no doubt...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1044: February 25, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
Buddy of mine's dad was from NC.    Buddy brought some back with him one time.    He told me you can determine how good the shine is by pouring some in a lid/bottle cap and lighting it on fire.     I guess the flame is the give-away.     I think he said something about the tip/top of the flame being blue and the bottom clear is the good stuff.      :shrug:

To look like a pro you have to hold the bottle sideways, then shake it and watch the size and dissipation rate of the bubbles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1045: February 25, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
Got going on the barrel aged Manhattan project today.  Wife got me a 2L barrel for V-day, I think she felt sorry for me since it was on my list for Christmas and nobody stepped up.   

I filled it with water for a week, you do this to saturate the wood so the stays expand and seal against leakage.  It only oozed a bit for about 36 hours so I got a very tightly constructed one.  One mistake, I used tap water having forgot that I read somewhere you should always use spring water or some filtered, non-chlorinated water because the chemicals in modern tap water affect the taste.  Too late now, I rinsed it with bottled water and filled it with the active ingredients.

1.5L of Rittenhouse BIB Rye, + 600ml of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth.  This is a slight deviation from the standard 2:1 rye to vermouth Manhattan formula, but I've learned over time I like a bit less than the "1" of vermouth.  I did not add bitters or cherry syrup yet, those can be added at serving.  I reserved 375ml of the fresh mix as a taste comparator when I bring out the final aged product. 

After a week I'll begin limited tastings.  I'm guessing 3 weeks before it will be ready, which will be noted when the charred oak can be tasted.  At that point stop the aging and drain back into the empty Rittenhouse bottles I kept.  Then, I have Manhattans ready to go (plus bitters and cherry). 

Of course I still have big brother in process - the Bowman's barrel I bought a month or so ago.  I've completed a coat of polyurethane and need to drive self tapping screws into the metal rings and stays to hold it together as the moisture leaves.  The bung was cut off flush to the barrel, so far I've been unable to remove it but I'm going to sink an eye screw into it and pull it out so I can sniff the bunghole.     :P  Man that barrel smelled good in the car coming back from Fredericksburg.   

Offline mitlen

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1047: February 25, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
Got going on the barrel aged Manhattan project today.  Wife got me a 2L barrel for V-day, I think she felt sorry for me since it was on my list for Christmas and nobody stepped up.   

I filled it with water for a week, you do this to saturate the wood so the stays expand and seal against leakage.  It only oozed a bit for about 36 hours so I got a very tightly constructed one.  One mistake, I used tap water having forgot that I read somewhere you should always use spring water or some filtered, non-chlorinated water because the chemicals in modern tap water affect the taste.  Too late now, I rinsed it with bottled water and filled it with the active ingredients.

1.5L of Rittenhouse BIB Rye, + 600ml of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth.  This is a slight deviation from the standard 2:1 rye to vermouth Manhattan formula, but I've learned over time I like a bit less than the "1" of vermouth.  I did not add bitters or cherry syrup yet, those can be added at serving.  I reserved 375ml of the fresh mix as a taste comparator when I bring out the final aged product. 

After a week I'll begin limited tastings.  I'm guessing 3 weeks before it will be ready, which will be noted when the charred oak can be tasted.  At that point stop the aging and drain back into the empty Rittenhouse bottles I kept.  Then, I have Manhattans ready to go (plus bitters and cherry). 

Of course I still have big brother in process - the Bowman's barrel I bought a month or so ago.  I've completed a coat of polyurethane and need to drive self tapping screws into the metal rings and stays to hold it together as the moisture leaves.  The bung was cut off flush to the barrel, so far I've been unable to remove it but I'm going to sink an eye screw into it and pull it out so I can sniff the bunghole.     :P  Man that barrel smelled good in the car coming back from Fredericksburg.   

Let us know how that "limited tasting" thing works out.     :P

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1048: February 25, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
Let us know how that "limited tasting" thing works out.     :P

Some call that the "Devil's cut".    ;)

Offline mitlen