Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 4  (Read 81601 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 4
« Reply #175: October 05, 2009, 12:21:58 AM »
:doh: :lol:  :rofl:
I don't know what that picture means chief and why you keep posting it. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #176: October 05, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
I don't know what that picture means chief and why you keep posting it.  (Image removed from quote.)

It's a machine colloquially known as a cherry picker.  You can't read file names? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picker

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #177: October 05, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
I don't know what that picture means chief and why you keep posting it.  (Image removed from quote.)
:lmao:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #178: October 05, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
He's welcome to point that out, but...

This.

WAR is such an abstract stat that I'm not sure how seriously it can really be taken.  I'm all for noting Dunn's defensive deficiencies when considering his overall value as a player, but we both know that quoting WAR is just SF "Dunn's defense cost us 30 runs in the first 1/4 of the season" grasping at straws because he can't stand to acknowledge that a career (offensive) year for Zimmerman is a career AVERAGE year for Dunn.
are you serious?

RZ had more hits, runs, doubles, triples, rbis, sbs, and less ks.

Dunn had more homers and more walks.

Zimmerman had an elite season, especially when you consider defense and seriously this is NL baseball, so why in the freak wouldn't you consider defense? This isn't the wussy American League where you can DH. Defense counts just like offense.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #179: October 05, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »
It's a machine colloquially known as a cherry picker.  You can't read file names? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picker
i've never heard of a machine like that called a cherry picker. interesting.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #180: October 05, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »
i've never heard of a machine like that called a cherry picker. interesting.

Never seen a pepco truck?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #181: October 05, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »
Never seen a pepco truck?
yeah but i have never heard it called a "cherry picker"

Offline The Chief

« Reply #182: October 05, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
are you serious?

Yes.

RZ had more hits, runs, doubles, triples, rbis, sbs, and less ks.

I suppose you think it's just coincidence that he has, as you describe it, an "elite" year with Dunn batting behind him.

Dunn had more homers and more walks.

Dunn had ONE fewer RBI with a 5-man black hole batting behind him for most of the season.

Also, you forgot OBP, SLG, OPS, and RC (runs created, which is a bit abstract, but I'm just throwing it out there because I know if the stat favored Zimmerman, you would mention it).

Zimmerman had an elite season, especially when you consider defense and seriously this is NL baseball, so why in the freak wouldn't you consider defense? This isn't the wussy American League where you can DH. Defense counts just like offense.

As always, you attempt to mold the discussion to suit your own ends.

We could go 'round and 'round all night but I have better things waiting for me, and I already know this discussion is academic.  You think there's some kind of imaginary competition going on and don't realize that most of us are thrilled to have BOTH Zimmerman AND Dunn batting in the lineup.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #183: October 05, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »
yeah but i have never heard it called a "cherry picker"

Ah, re read your original comment. My b.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #184: October 05, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
Missed the game because I was out disc golfing.  Watching the replay now.  Great to end the season with a nice little win streak.

Also, Linty uses a Mac :clap:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #185: October 05, 2009, 12:38:45 AM »

Offline The Chief

« Reply #186: October 05, 2009, 12:39:29 AM »
Also, Linty uses a Mac :clap:

Actually he told me it's just a skin.  Windows is pretty versatile like that :thumbs:

Just joshin' ya :P

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #187: October 05, 2009, 12:41:50 AM »
Yes.

I suppose you think it's just coincidence that he has, as you describe it, an "elite" year with Dunn batting behind him.

Dunn had ONE fewer RBI with a 5-man black hole batting behind him for most of the season.

Also, you forgot OBP, SLG, OPS, and RC (runs created, which is a bit abstract, but I'm just throwing it out there because I know if the stat favored Zimmerman, you would mention it).

As always, you attempt to mold the discussion to suit your own ends.

We could go 'round and 'round all night but I have better things waiting for me, and I already know this discussion is academic.  You think there's some kind of imaginary competition going on and don't realize that most of us are thrilled to have BOTH Zimmerman AND Dunn batting in the lineup.
better things waiting for you? like your bed? :lmao:

I am thrilled that we have a few decent offensive players too. You are the one who keeps saying that RZ had a worse year than '06 and Dunn had a career year.

Dunn and Willingham had solid, respectable, seasons that you could have expected out of both of them.

RZ had a career year. A breakout season. He is recognized around baseball as our face of the franchise and arguably the best third baseman in baseball.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #188: October 05, 2009, 12:43:23 AM »
Actually he told me it's just a skin.  Windows is pretty versatile like that :thumbs:

Maybe you should use a Mac to host this site, it wouldn't have crashed the other day :P

Of course it would cost twice as much per month :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #189: October 05, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »

windows 7 > mac os x

:clap: :clap:

ps: windows 7 movie maker is so easy to use. great program

Offline The Chief

« Reply #190: October 05, 2009, 12:45:59 AM »
I am thrilled that we have a few decent offensive players too. You are the one who keeps saying that RZ had a worse year than '06 and Dunn had a career year.

Keeps?  That discussion was two weeks ago, and Zimmerman has done enough since to warrant the "career season" label, but I still don't like his streakiness and question the real value of last-place September stats.  If he can put up these numbers in September when we are contending, there's no doubt he'll be widely considered elite, but for now it's just garbage time speculation.

Dunn and Willingham had solid, respectable, seasons that you could have expected out of both of them.

I honestly don't know that much about Willingham so I can't comment there, but you are one of the only people if not THE only person on this entire forum who refuses to acknowledge that Dunn had a career year.  And you base your entire arugment around the fact that his BA tailed off in the final month of a 100+ loss season for the worst team in baseball.  Come on man.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #191: October 05, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
Maybe you should use a Mac to host this site, it wouldn't have crashed the other day :P

Of course it would cost twice as much per month :lol:

Actually it runs on Linux.

Linux in geek fights = trump card.  I win :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #192: October 05, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Keeps?  That discussion was two weeks ago, and Zimmerman has done enough since to warrant the "career season" label, but I still don't like his streakiness and question the real value of last-place September stats.  If he can put up these numbers in September when we are contending, there's no doubt he'll be widely considered elite, but for now it's just garbage time speculation.

I honestly don't know that much about Willingham so I can't comment there, but you are one of the only people if not THE only person on this entire forum who refuses to acknowledge that Dunn had a career year.  And you base your entire arugment around the fact that his BA tailed off in the final month of a 100+ loss season for the worst team in baseball.  Come on man.
that attitude will get us nowhere. RZ and a few of the other players worked their ass off over the last week to give us 7 straight victories. they should be proud of finishing the year on a high note.

It wasn't just his BA that tailed off. He stopped hitting bombs too. He was on pace to finish comfortable over 40 HRs but fell short. oh well, it's not the end of the world.

Let's just put this stupid ass season to rest. I'm all about 2010. The search for manager starts TOMORROW. :whip:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #193: October 05, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »
SF come on.  I know you're a smart kid.  Dunn had 21 runs produced in Sept compared to Zimmerman's 26.  BA or no, that's not a "worthless" finish.  I really don't understand your categorical refusal to root for Dunn.  Zimm + Dunn make an awesome 1-2 punch, and with Morgan setting the table and (hopefully) some good guys batting behind Dunn, the offense has the potential to be amazing next season.

Let's just hope the FO gets some pitching to go with it :pray:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #194: October 05, 2009, 01:03:16 AM »
i don't know about amazing but the offense has a chance to be average or slightly above average.

depends if Guzman returns (please god no), Flores comes back strong, we sign a 2B, and Dukes is replaced or learns how to hit.

Dunn finished the season 21/104 (.202 BA) with only 3 homers.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #195: October 05, 2009, 01:07:31 AM »
And Ryan Zimmerman only hit .221 in September.

What's your point?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #196: October 05, 2009, 01:10:25 AM »
along with 6 bombs, 14 RBIs, and 12 runs.

also had a great October: 7/13 (.538) with 4 Doubles, 4 Runs, 2 RBIs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #197: October 05, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »
Once again, and?

Your use of small sample size is so perplexing.

It's like you don't have a grasp on what it actually means.... and just how insignificant it really is.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #198: October 05, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »
Well, no. That just means that his overall worth is only 5 million dollars.

But yes, he's a bargain in terms of what his offensive value is.

For example, if Dunn was just a DH... he'd be worth Top 20 'dollar' value.

Adam Lind put up a 34.7 in his offensive category, yet, since he doesn't play defense, his 'dollar' worth was 16 million.

Dunn's offense is well worth the 10 million we gave him.

I'm not debating that Dunn is a crappy fielder. I'm just trying to prove to SF that Dunn is a much better offensive player than he'll ever give him credit for.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #199: October 05, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »
They had solid seasons but not career or overly spectacular seasons.

If Dunn had finished with a ~.280 BA and 40+ HRs you could have concluded that he had a career season.

Willingham should have finished with ~30 HRs and .280 BA.

This is so idiotic. He had 38 HR's - 40+ means 40 or 41, basically where he ended up.

It's not worth it to look up how many more hits he would have needed to end up at .280, but it's not a whole lot.

His OBP is insane - he shattered the 100 walk mark. You are a silly person.