Author Topic: Loudoun approves minor league park  (Read 2647 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Loudoun approves minor league park
« Reply #25: July 23, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »
suit yourself. no one wants to watch Indy League baseball

You wouldn't want to watch John Halama?   :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: July 23, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »
You wouldn't want to watch John Halama?   :lol:

Been there, done that and paid $25 for the ticket and $7.50 for a beer.    Heck, for $7.50 I can now watch him from a box seat.   :popcorn:

« Reply #27: July 23, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
I'll watch whatever baseball, though a Nationals related team almost guarantees my attendance at some point.

I love the summer Coastal League that is played here in NC and Southern VA.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #28: July 23, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
Knowing what we know now and if this was 2004, it could have read "Loudon Approves Minor League Ballpark, Team that is Going to be Nats to Move?"

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: July 23, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
Knowing what we know now and if this was 2004, it could have read "Loudon Approves Minor League Ballpark, Team that is Going to be Nats to Move?"

I remember wondering at the time, "Where are they gonna put in Loudoun that traffic won't be messed up for a week at a time?"   I'm not real sure what they'll do with 5,700 fans but 36K ?    That would have been Charlie Foxtrot every night.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #30: July 23, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »
I remember wondering at the time, "Where are they gonna put in Loudoun that traffic won't be messed up for a week at a time?"   I'm not real sure what they'll do with 5,700 fans but 36K ?    That would have been Charlie Foxtrot every night.

dont worry most nights it would have been closer to 5700

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #31: March 02, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
So it's going to be an Atlantic League (Independant League) team in this stadium. They have narrowed down the team names to the Dulles Blue Herons, Virginia Silver Stars, and Loudoun Hounds. You can vote at their website: http://www.vipbaseball.net/

They'll begin play in 2011.

Thread should maybe be moved out of the farm, though.

http://www.examiner.com/x-35434-Minor-League-Baseball-Examiner~y2010m2d15-Proposed-Virginia-team-down-to-three-names

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #32: March 02, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
As it no longer has any relation to the Nats or Major League Baseball, I've moved it to the the loft.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: March 02, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
So it's going to be an Atlantic League (Independant League) team in this stadium. They have narrowed down the team names to the Dulles Blue Herons, Virginia Silver Stars, and Loudoun Hounds. You can vote at their website: http://www.vipbaseball.net/

The Dulles Blue Herons sound like something you'd want to avoid unless Sully Sullneberger is your pilot.

VA Silver Stars?  what is the connection?

Loudoun Hounds has some connection to fox hunts, I guess. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: March 02, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
The Dulles Blue Herons sound like something you'd want to avoid unless Sully Sullneberger is your pilot.

Blue herons are certainly indigenous to the area, as well as very common.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: March 02, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »

Yes, but I kind of don't think associating a large bird with an airport and jets is a good image.  I guess Loudoun is trying to associate Dulles with an area and not an airport (Dulles Town Center, Dulles Greenway, etc. . .) but it is still all derived from an airport.

Online blue911

« Reply #36: March 02, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
Yes, but I kind of don't think associating a large bird with an airport and jets is a good image.  I guess Loudoun is trying to associate Dulles with an area and not an airport (Dulles Town Center, Dulles Greenway, etc. . .) but it is still all derived from an airport.

Then they should be the Dulles Cold Warriors.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: March 02, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »
Yes, but I kind of don't think associating a large bird with an airport and jets is a good image.  I guess Loudoun is trying to associate Dulles with an area and not an airport (Dulles Town Center, Dulles Greenway, etc. . .) but it is still all derived from an airport.

Well, before there was an airport, there was John Foster Dulles, but I know where you're coming from.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #38: March 02, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
Here is why the names were picked, btw:

Dulles Blue Heron – The ballpark and the overall Kincora project sits adjacent to a very important blue heron rookery. This popular name reflects the group’s dedication to preserving and enhancing the rookery and being in complete partnership with the amazing environment that surrounds the ballpark.

Virginia Silver Stars – The Silver Star is one of the nation’s highest military honors and this name reflects VIP Baseball’s commitment and support of our nation’s greatest defenders and heroes: our military. The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action.

Loudoun Hounds – Loudoun County has an extensive and proud equine history and combined with dozens of submission of variations of hound-related names (i.e. Foxhounds, Redhounds, Hound Dogs) this was a perfect reflection of the County’s heritage. Additionally, the American Foxhound is the state dog of Virginia.

I really wish I had been keeping an eye on the stadium news and had a chance to submit some naming ideas.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #39: March 03, 2010, 01:27:51 AM »

A little too common, says the fellow with a pond with fish in his backyard. :icon_frown:
This fall I put a net over it as soon as I saw the first heron land in the yard. Nice to see the fish still in it!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: March 03, 2010, 08:32:08 AM »
A little too common, says the fellow with a pond with fish in his backyard. :icon_frown:
This fall I put a net over it as soon as I saw the first heron land in the yard. Nice to see the fish still in it!

My mother in law (Mount Pleasant, SC) had all kinds of critters feeding from her little fish pond over the years.  Nothing like fat, overfed slow moving koi to feed the hungry egret.  Or raccoon.  Even the occasional cat.  But the alligator was a bit of a surprise to her.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #41: March 03, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
My mother in law (Mount Pleasant, SC) had all kinds of critters feeding from her little fish pond over the years.  Nothing like fat, overfed slow moving koi to feed the hungry egret.  Or raccoon.  Even the occasional cat.  But the alligator was a bit of a surprise to her.  :shock:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: March 03, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »
:shock:

'twas a small one, a mere 2.5' long.  And she lives in a fairly well populated area, though mixed in with quite a few large houses with sizable yards and small ponds, salt marshes and little creeks and ditches around to hold a year round population.  Guess that little fella got booted out of his home waters and was looking to find a safe niche.

I have a pictures somewhere, will post it if I can find it.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #43: March 10, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »
Until I Googled it, I thought of alligators as a Florida creature. According to Wikioedia, their range is as far north as the southern -most edge of Virginia in the Great Dismal Swamp. Some sources even list southern Tennessee too. With climate change, I guess we can expect then to enter the Chesapeake soon!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: March 10, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »
Which brings up another potential name for the Loudoun team - The Snakefish!  man those things are ugly, and they are now as local as others who moved to Loudoun.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: March 10, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »
Which brings up another potential name for the Loudoun team - The Snakefish!  man those things are ugly, and they are now as local as others who moved to Loudoun.

You mean the Northern Snakehead?

To my knowledge, these are now resident in the tidal Potomac, in Fairfax and PW Counties on the Va side, PG and Charles on the Md side, but not Loudoun.

Online blue911

« Reply #46: March 10, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
You mean the Northern Snakehead?

To my knowledge, these are now resident in the tidal Potomac, in Fairfax and PW Counties on the Va side, PG and Charles on the Md side, but not Loudoun.

(Image removed from quote.)

Loudon's horse country, they can't afford the rent.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #47: March 10, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »
Loudon's horse country, they can't afford the rent.

Loudoun's probably best known for the horsey types.  Also a handful of vineyards, a few nice golf courses, too many McMansions marring too many otherwise nice views, and all the major chain restaurants.
It might still be possible to take in a Friday night cockfight, too.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: March 17, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »
was talking to my wife last night about this, I live about halfway between dulles and woodbridge, I can't imagine going up to Dulles to see a bunch of 30+ players, few of which have a future instead of going to Woodbridge and watching guys who I can follow for the next 10 years or so.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #49: March 17, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm sure plenty of people feel the same way you do.

Hopefully there are enough baseball fans in the Loudoun area to support the team. I know that my friends that played in the independent leagues were not 30+... they were fresh out of college, drafted or signed, and got cut from minor league programs for various reasons.

Anyway, I'm a baseball fan more than an MLB fan. I played, now coach, and enjoy watching from High School to MLB and anywhere in between. I imagine the Loudoun team will probably be as entertaining as the station to station game of baseball that most MLB teams play.