Author Topic: Ryan Church  (Read 2319 times)

Offline rileyn

Ryan Church
« Topic Start: July 09, 2006, 10:32:35 AM »
Is he toast?  Have we seen the last of him in a Nationals uniform?  Is he considered a wanted commodity by any other clubs at this point?  His downward spiral is stunning.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ryan Church
« Reply #1: July 09, 2006, 10:52:05 AM »
Just think how the Nats would be this year, if we had the Church and Guillen from the 1st half of 2005?

Okay, if we had pitching too......

Offline NatsAddict

Ryan Church
« Reply #2: July 10, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »
Church is the biggest surprise to me.  Has anybody seen his swing lately?  I saw him in some PCL games a couple years ago, and he then had a simply beautiful swing.

I have almost convinced myself it can't be mechanics, and that is has to be in his head.  

I thought he'd develop into a fan favorite.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Ryan Church
« Reply #3: July 12, 2006, 02:45:09 PM »
I've said it at least a dozen times, Ryan Church on his best day, is at best, a 4th outfielder. He has a decent glove, but he has never been able to get his head on straight to show he's earned his way permanently in the show. Church might not even be worth calling up in September when the rosters expand, I know I wouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ryan Church
« Reply #4: July 12, 2006, 02:53:25 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I've said it at least a dozen times, Ryan Church on his best day, is at best, a 4th outfielder. He has a decent glove, but he has never been able to get his head on straight to show he's earned his way permanently in the show. Church might not even be worth calling up in September when the rosters expand, I know I wouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

Hey stranger!

I kind of agree, but I think like most folks, a little part of me thinks there is a really fine player trapped inside, it's just that the central control system has a loose wire.  If you could jiggle it just right, you'd get the 2005 pre-Pittsburgh wall Ryan back out again.  Hence the resistance to just saying goodbye.  But he sure hasn't shown us anything since except for his brief outburst this spring, has he?  

Assume for a minute Escobar has licked is injury problems (he makes Nick look like Cal).  What do you think of Escobar in center?  So far his fielding has been atrocious, but swinging a very nice bat, albeit with a small sample size.  

I like Byrd as a permanent #4-5 outfielder.  Nice glove, occasional pop.  Another player who has a better offense hidden inside.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Ryan Church
« Reply #5: July 12, 2006, 03:18:47 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
......it's just that the central control system has a loose wire.  If you could jiggle it just right, you'd get the 2005 pre-Pittsburgh wall Ryan back out again.

Yea,I used to have a TV that was like that, but I got fed up with it and ended up shelling out a few bucks on a new set. Lots of us "kinda hope" Church will find his way, but with all that's going on between his ears, I'm afraid he's as hopeless as that old TV of mine.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Ryan Church
« Reply #6: July 12, 2006, 03:19:28 PM »
WOW, three (including this one) posts in the same thread and on the same day.... I must really be bored

Offline NatsAddict

Ryan Church
« Reply #7: July 13, 2006, 09:56:13 AM »
If it is in his head, I think his much less likely to ever make a serviceable return.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Ryan Church
« Reply #8: July 13, 2006, 01:48:20 PM »
yes, I think it is in his head.

at this point(and I am a real big supporter of Church when I say this), he won't have any type of even marginal success until he leaves this Organization.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Ryan Church
« Reply #9: July 13, 2006, 02:09:38 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
yes, I think it is in his head.

at this point(and I am a real big supporter of Church when I say this), he won't have any type of even marginal success until he leaves this Organization.

Sadly, that's too often been the case with players in this organization throughout its history. Thankfully, there have been a few exceptions.