Author Topic: Collin Balester  (Read 5151 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Collin Balester
« Reply #25: June 08, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
When dealing with a pitcher like Stammen, do you think it's better to have a young pitcher in the bigs as a reliever or send him back down to 'Cuse to start?  I know the big leagues is an entirely different situation (mentally and draining).  I always wonder, not knowing Stammen's mental makeup, what is more productive from a learning perspective. 

Note: I realize that most teams aren't in a situation where they have to call up any pitcher that can throw a strike and would have him in the minors getting work. 

Note 2: Aren't both Stammen and Detweiler stronger in the early innings?  I would fully expect neither of these two are physically ready for the big leagues.  I hope that being up this year will make it clear that the offseason is huge for them. 

I like having young pitchers get work out of the bullpen in relief as an initial exposure to the big leagues. But it depends on the situation. These guys got exposure as starters because we had slots open. If we had a solid rotation and wanted to give them some exposure, giving them some time out of the pen for a short stint makes sense as part of their development. It also depends on how they are doing. Stammen showed enough ability to get a call up and now has some things to work on. He would likely be best served going back and getting regular starts in AAA. That assumes of course the team sees him as a starter and not a reliever. He has that good sinker, but he needs to control it for strikes. That seems to be the most straightforward thing that causes him trouble. May as well go back to AAA and work on that one thing for a while and give a callup to someone like Balester.

Offline balzig777

« Reply #26: June 15, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
Bally had a good outing today to imporove to 5and 5. went six, 2runs 1 bb 3 k's with68 pitches I thought they would send him out for the 7th but clippard did well and got the save, bally at 3.89 clippard at .98

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #27: June 16, 2009, 12:35:07 AM »
STUD

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: June 18, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »
I wonder if Stammen has a bad outing today, if Bally will get the call up? 

With that said, I hope C.S. has a good game and we get the win.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #29: June 18, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
No chance.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #30: June 18, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »
No chance.

nice two word answer hahahaha 8)

Offline balzig777

« Reply #31: June 18, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I wonder if Stammen has a bad outing today, if Bally will get the call up? 

With that said, I hope C.S. has a good game and we get the win.
They will give both CS and RD 12 to 15 starts before any move up from syracuse, then probably martin,imo

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #32: July 01, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
Big start for Bally on Thursday!  I really think he should be up here as the #5 starter with Stammen in the pen. 

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #33: July 01, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
If Bally has a good outing and can go deep into the game I would'nt be surprised if the Nats move him up next week. Stammen to the pen.

Balester up in July, Mock ready if someone has injuries and JD Martin up in September.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #34: July 01, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
If Bally has a good outing and can go deep into the game I would'nt be surprised if the Nats move him up next week. Stammen to the pen.

Balester up in July, Mock ready if someone has injuries and JD Martin up in September.

I'm all for it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #35: July 02, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »

i'll be listening and pumped up. 

let's go bally!!!  go out and have fun, pitch like you have been and pwn that loser phillies prospect

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #36: July 02, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
I think its been a little past due to give him a call and move Stammen to the pen. Seems it could make perfect sense.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #37: July 02, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
You really think he is going to do better than Stammen?

I wouldn't mind bringing Bally up but he's not going to be a lot better than what we got. Our starters have done well.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #38: July 02, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »

I wouldn't mind bringing Bally up but he's not going to be a lot better than what we got. Our starters have done well.

Who knows, what are you basing it on? The same goes with Clippard and how much we wanted him up here. Change is nice. Stammens been well but I think hed flourish in the pen seeing as the third time through he gets beat... hard.

Bally has had experience up here and hes been hot, why not give the kid a shot? His second go through, maybe he'll prove he deserves to be the 5th guy.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: July 02, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »

nobody is saying he's going to come in and dominate.  last year we saw some flashes from balester, but it was obvious he still had some work to do.  this year he's done everything they've asked: try and improve on pitching out of the stretch (btw he's probably got the best pick-up move in our system) and decrease the home run total (only 3 this year).  

i want stammen on the major league roster and to never see the minors again, i just think he would be so much more effective for us out of the pen.  long-term, i think balester makes for a better starting pitcher, imo.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #40: July 02, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »
Balester getting a shot first over Martin?

Offline blue911

« Reply #41: July 02, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »
Balester getting a shot first over Martin?

Sure. He's on the 40 man.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #42: July 02, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
Sure. He's on the 40 man.
so what? there are several guys who could be taken off the 40-man without hesitation. Montz, Saul Rivera, Corey Patterson, etc.

I don't think we are going to be seeing any of the starters in Syracuse until September though. Syracuse is 41-35 and only 3 games back out of first place. They are right in the thick of the race and have been on fire for a long while now.

All of the guys in the Nats rotation have pitched well enough to stay there.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #43: July 02, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »
so what? there are several guys who could be taken off the 40-man without hesitation. Montz, Saul Rivera, Corey Patterson, etc.

I don't think we are going to be seeing any of the starters in Syracuse until September though. Syracuse is 41-35 and only 3 games back out of first place. They are right in the thick of the race and have been on fire for a long while now.

All of the guys in the Nats rotation have pitched well enough to stay there.

Just b/c Cuse is in a pennant race, that would prevent a starter getting called up to the bigs?  :?

Again, I think Stammen has done well, but I think he's better suited for the pen (and obviously so did/do the front office).

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #44: July 02, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »
With Martis going to Syracuse will allow the Rotation in AAA to stay effective while they bring up Balester and keep Detwiler or Stammen in the pen.  I think Bally's second time around will be a positive one for him too. To let him sit in AAA is a bit demoralizing and I respect Balester for keeping a positive attitude.

Concening, JD Martin. I think they call him up in September but to take a chance on a kid that is older and who has had surgery in the past over Balester is a risk they won't take right now.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #45: July 02, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
Just b/c Cuse is in a pennant race, that would prevent a starter getting called up to the bigs?  :?

Again, I think Stammen has done well, but I think he's better suited for the pen (and obviously so did/do the front office).
The Nats are the worst team in baseball. Who cares how many games they lose?

It will be interesting to see who they put in Cuse at the end of the season once they call up the guys that are there now.

Balester will get his chance but the guys ahead of him in the Majors have done well. JZ and Lannan have been great and Detwiler and Stammen have been solid despite having a few ups and downs like every rookie starter.

This isn't the rotation of years past. We don't have any guys like Redding, Perez, etc. that are blocking a younster. These guys all deserve to pitch up here but we only have 5 spots.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #46: July 02, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
The Nats are the worst team in baseball. Who cares how many games they lose?

It will be interesting to see who they put in Cuse at the end of the season once they call up the guys that are there now.

Balester will get his chance but the guys ahead of him in the Majors have done well. JZ and Lannan have been great and Detwiler and Stammen have been solid despite having a few ups and downs like every rookie starter.

This isn't the rotation of years past. We don't have any guys like Redding, Perez, etc. that are blocking a younster. These guys all deserve to pitch up here but we only have 5 spots.

So we should send down Zimmerman, Lannan, Dunn and Zimmermann to help our AAA team win the race?!?! 

I'm saying if Det or Stammen have more bad starts than good, it's nice to know we have Bally, Martin and Mock ready for a call up.  Again, I would rather have Stammen in the pen, Martin/Balester in the rotation and Colome DFA'd.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #47: July 02, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
I don't like the idea of moving Stammen to the pen.... yet.  At this point, he just needs more starts.  If he fails to show his value as a starter by September or the end of the season, then move him to the pen.

Offline balzig777

« Reply #48: July 02, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
I do not see the need to bring anyone up in sept. other than to give them a taste of the bigs, those that have been there won't benefit by 1 or 2 starts which would prove nothing even if they were good or bad.All starting pitchers in the minors have pitched as many if not more innings than in the nats rotation. Everybody tired come sept!