Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Red Sox, Game 3 (L)  (Read 2897 times)

Offline rileyn

Quote from: "PC"
This is just unbelievable!

But the sad part is, as bad as the Nationals pitching has been this series, I'm just as embarrassed by our "hitting".  With a $120 million dollar payroll, a team can certainly buy a lot of bat.  The problem is the Red Sox pitching isn't nearly as good as the Nationals have made them look this series.  Our hitters have been befuddled, completely.  Tim Wakefield, for example, was 4-8 going into last night's game, but you couldn't tell that from our hitting performance against him.  Overall, our hitting in this series has been atrocious, barely major league.

I do believe, in addition, that our pitching has been completely intimidated by the Red Sox hitters.  This entire series, they've been way to comfortable in the batter's box.  What I wouldn't have given to see a few Red Sox batters, knocked on their asses!  :twisted:

I couldn't have said it better myself damn self

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "metssuck"
How is this Frank's fault?

Washington has the 6th worst team BA in MLB, and the 8th worst OBP.  Frank is a HOF player, but he's just not a good manager.  Supervising and training people are separate job skills.  Not everybody is good at them.  Most outstanding managers or coaches in different sports were never good players.  Few great players succeed in managing or coaching.  Ted Williams was a great hitting instructor as manager of the Senators, but for whatever reason, Frank is NOT.  Nick Johnson is now the ONLY player hitting over .300 and 6 are batting .250 or less.  Boston has SIX over .300 and 2 under .250 - this is a good team.  The Senators improved under Williams, until the jerk owner, Bob Short, started trading Ted's players to get washed-up one-night novelties like Denny McLain and Curt Flood.  The first thing Ted Williams said to Frank Howard was, "You should have a LOT more walks."  Ted got him and others to stop chasing bad pitches.  Frank hadn't managed for 11 years when MLB hired him here.

Offline nats2playoffs

Nationals 3
 Red Sox 9

The Nationals were completely stumped yesterday when they faced a knuckleball pitcher with a 4-8 record.  As a player, FranK faced some of the best knucklers who ever pitched.  He did not prepare his team to play.  We struck out TWELVE TIMES TODAY!!!!  Frank will continue to bat Vidro 2nd because he's a veteran, even though it hurts the team.  He tells pitchers to intentionally walk batters, who then score and seal our losses.  Boston had 9 runs, 16 hits and LEFT 11 MEN ON BASE.  It could have been worse.  We need a manager with a winning attitude, not a losing history.  Our division opponents are losing or already lost today.  Let's beat Peter the Pig's Orioles an d turn this around...

Offline Jayman77

Not surprised that this sweep happened considering Boston is ahead of the Yankees, but man, I haven't watched so little of a Nats' series in a long time.  Hopefully this long-awaited off-day will reenergize the team a bit so they can have a good series in Baltimore.

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "Jayman77"
Not surprised that this sweep happened considering Boston is ahead of the Yankees, but man, I haven't watched so little of a Nats' series in a long time.  Hopefully this long-awaited off-day will reenergize the team a bit so they can have a good series in Baltimore.

They said last night that today is the team's first day off at home all season.  Usually a day off involves travel.  The Nationals have a brutal day next week, when they have to fly from Toronto, Canada after the game is over to play in Tampa Bay Florida the next day.

Offline Dave B

thank you for clarifying where the cities of toronto and tampa are