Author Topic: What made you a Nats fan?  (Read 9240 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: What made you a Nats fan?
« Reply #100: June 01, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
Nats? Hell with them. I'm a fan of the Lerner Enterprises. Trust funds can never be too big.  :worship:

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #101: June 01, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
The baseball equivalent of the Manchester United would be the dreaded NY Yankees.

I thought we were ;)

Well, we soon will be? Err....soon?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #102: June 01, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
I thought we were ;)

2012. Or so I've heard.  ;)

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #103: June 01, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
I thought we were ;)

We are more comparable to a team like Fulham FC.  The best part (worst part if your team sucks) about futbol is that the three worst teams in each league get relegated (or sent down) to the league below it and the top three get promoted.  So for instance,  last year the Nationals, Padres, and Mariners would have been sent to AAA and the top three AAA teams would have moved up to the majors (only lower league teams in futbol are independent of each other unlike the minors which belong to respective MLB teams).  On a positive note, Potomac would have moved up to AA under the relegation rules.  Unfortunately, teams that are horrible get to keep competing at the same level of competition.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #104: June 01, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »
Shaeffer, is the, one beer to have, when you're having more than one!

Don't miss this video, awesome entire Shaeffer commercial.

That was great!  Thanks!  That really brought it all back.

That wheat stalk in their logo - I used to think that was a a baseball bat (with a slightly odd wood grain.)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #105: June 01, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
We are more comparable to a team like Fulham FC.  The best part (worst part if your team sucks) about futbol is that the three worst teams in each league get relegated (or sent down) to the league below it and the top three get promoted.  So for instance,  last year the Nationals, Padres, and Mariners would have been sent to AAA and the top three AAA teams would have moved up to the majors (only lower league teams in futbol are independent of each other unlike the minors which belong to respective MLB teams).  On a positive note, Potomac would have moved up to AA under the relegation rules.  Unfortunately, teams that are horrible get to keep competing at the same level of competition.

I would like to see something like the FC Cup too - elimination tourney for all the minor league and indy league teams and MLB. The Nats could lose to the Lancaster Barnstomers :rofl:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #106: June 02, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
Right now, we're more like Newcastle...down down down...

OT, but whatev...I saw DC United play a friendly against Leeds United at RFK back in '96 or '97...well, Leeds was in the Premier League at the time, so say at the same level as MLB (playing against all the big boys like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and that other crap team from London, sorry Old Chelsea)....now they are in League one, so pretty much at the same level as say the Hagerstown Suns.  Relegation and promotion would potentially now have the Frederick Keys hosting the Red Sox and the Nats on the road against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.   

Offline Bermygreen

« Reply #107: June 02, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »
Hey NATSADDICT, let us know when you take in a NATS Game, I'd love to finally meet you and the family.

As for our friend in Bermuda, when someone asked you about your favorite "football team", it can be taken 2 ways:

1.  As its known internationally as football but here as soccer team.

OR

2.  Here in the states, we mean the NFL or National Football League (Redskins, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, etc.)

Have you chosen an NFL Football Team?

Ah, good point.  My NFL team are the Eagles, simply because they play in green.

Another question - this whole franchising deal.  How can you ever really "support" a team, one which should be representing your city, but which can up sticks and move to the other side of the country yet still be the same "team"?

We had one occurrence of this in England, and boy, are they hated.

« Reply #108: June 02, 2009, 07:59:28 AM »
Ah, good point.  My NFL team are the Eagles, simply because they play in green.

Another question - this whole franchising deal.  How can you ever really "support" a team, one which should be representing your city, but which can up sticks and move to the other side of the country yet still be the same "team"?

We had one occurrence of this in England, and boy, are they hated.

I meant my question in a European Futbol sense. My team is Liverpool simply for the fact I live in Wilmington, NC and at one time Liverpool was considered it's "sister city." Half our downtown mirrors roads and names that you can find in Liverpool. However, I am always happy and willing to watch any game on the pitch.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #109: June 02, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
Right now, we're more like Newcastle...down down down...[...]

...relegated along with Middlesbrough...how the mighty have fallen.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #110: June 03, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »
Why I am a Nats fan? Because I had a blast that first season at RFK between the wins no one expected and the Longhammer IPA stand on the concourse. I hope the magic returns to Nats Park before this season is over. It's been a trying couple of years.

Offline BCH89

« Reply #111: June 03, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
What got me about the whole weekend is there were still a large number of Virginia license plates in the parking lots. A few were wearing Nats gear, but there are still a lot of fans that are still clinging to Baltimore allegiance. I don't know if we'll ever win these people over, not with the front office and ownership that we have in place now.

I was at the Orioles/Tigers game last Friday night too (Wieters MLB debut) and while it was packed and sold extra tickets you may be right about them not leaving the Baltimore allegiance. While I watch the Nationals and Orioles I am not a die hard fan of either like I am for the Redskins. For as long as I can remember I watched the Orioles for Cal Ripken Jr, Brady Anderson, Rafael Palmeiro, and the likes. When I got the job at RFK Stadium for Nationals games during the inaugural season, I began paying somewhat close attention to them. Now while I am not a die hard fan of either team, I watch both of them for individual players such as Zimmerman, Wieters, Markakis, Johnson, Andrew Jones, etc. I feel baseball is more of an individual following rather than a whole team such as the NFL.