Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Yankees, Game 1 (L)  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
...vs...
......Jaret Wright; 3-4, 4.44 ERA...........................Shawn Hill; 1-1, 1.80 ERA

It's been 35 years since the New York Yankees played in the nation's capital.

The Yankees hope to take advantage of a slumping Washington team when they open a three-game series with the Nationals on Friday at RFK Stadium.

The Yankees last played at RFK on Sept. 30, 1971, and won in a forfeit when fans stormed the field in the Washington Senators' last game before moving to Texas. Washington led 7-5, but New York was awarded a 9-0 win.

Washington was also the site of a Mickey Mantle home run at Griffith Stadium in 1953 that traveled an estimated 565 feet - considered by some to be the longest home run ever hit.

Despite Washington's history with the Yankees, Nationals manager Frank Robinson isn't placing any added importance on this series.

''Why would it be a big deal to manage against the Yankees?'' he said.

Of more pressing concern to Robinson is his team being swept in a four-game set by Colorado. The manager held a closed-door meeting with the club after Thursday's 8-1 loss to Rockies, a defeat that dropped the Nationals to 30-38. Washington came into the series on a season-best 17-7 roll.

''The message was: We worked very hard for 3 1/2 weeks to get ourselves straightened out ... and in four days, we fell right back into that hole,'' Robinson said.

The Nationals, who fell a season-worst 13 1/2 games out of first in the NL East, had not been swept in four games since April 26-29, 2004 by San Diego when the franchise was still in Montreal. They were outscored 35-14 in the Rockies series.

Washington fired first-year bullpen coach John Wetteland after the game because of what Robinson said were ''philosophy differences.''

The Yankees (37-27) lost for the fifth time in seven games Thursday, 8-4 to Cleveland. Melky Cabrera hit his first career home run, and Alex Rodriguez and Bernie Williams also connected for New York, which did manage to win the series against the Indians after being swept over the weekend by Oakland.

Rodriguez also struck out twice, the second time in the eighth inning with the tying runs on second and third. He has three hits in his last 20 at-bats, dropping his average to .277.

''Whatever you want to say, the way I'm going now, you'd probably be right,'' Rodriguez said. ''Go ahead and rip away.''

The Yankees will be without manager Joe Torre in Friday's series opener. Torre was suspended for one game after Randy Johnson threw inside to Cleveland's Eduardo Perez on Wednesday.

Johnson was suspended five games and also fined, but is expected to appeal.

Jaret Wright (3-4, 4.44 ERA) will take the mound for New York in the opener. He allowed four runs and eight hits in five innings of a 9-3 loss to Curt Schilling and the Boston Red Sox on June 8. Wright has not lasted more than six innings in any of his nine starts this season.

Wright has pitched well against the Nationals franchise, going 3-0 with a 1.61 ERA in seven appearances, including three starts, against the team.

Washington will counter with right-hander Shawn Hill (1-1, 1.80), who allowed just two hits in seven innings of Sunday's 6-0 win over Philadelphia. The victory was his first since July 4, 2004, when he earned his only other major league victory in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Hill, making his fourth start of the season, did not pitch last year after undergoing ulnar collateral ligament replacement surgery in September 2004.

''Coming off the rehab, I had to go through some hurdles there,'' said Hill, who has never faced the Yankees. ''You learn to calm yourself down, compose yourself to get through one hitter at a time instead of jumping ahead.''

NEW YORK
1.  J. Damon CF .290
2.  M. Cabrera LF .274
3.  D. Jeter SS .332
4.  J. Giambi 1B .270
5.  A. Rodriguez 3B .277
6.  R. Cano 2B .328
7.  B. Williams RF .272
8.  K. Stinnett C .217
9.  J. Wright P .000

WASHINGTON
1.  A. Soriano LF .289
2.  R. Clayton SS .261
3.  J. Vidro 2B .306
4.  N. Johnson 1B .309
5.  R. Zimmerman 3B .277
6.  J. Guillen RF .225
7.  B. Schneider C .232
8.  M. Byrd CF .229
9.  S. Hill P .000

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
nice 1-2-3 inning for Hill.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
A-Rod strikes out swinging :twisted:

Offline The Chief

Bernie Williams knocks in a run on what looked TO ME like a very catchable pop-up to deep left center.  :|

Washington 0
New York 1

Offline nats2playoffs

Despite Washington's history with the Yankees, Nationals manager Frank Robinson isn't placing any added importance on this series. ''Why would it be a big deal to manage against the Yankees?'' he said.
We have a 71-year-old manager with ZERO sense of history, and an Orioles' arrogant disregard for the prior existence of baseball in Washington.  I was a regular defender of Frank last year, until he gave away the playoffs on a platter, by running spring training in Sept 2005.  I will be happy to see him go and don't want him to finish the season.  Let him be reassigned now, just like he did to the bullpen coach.

Offline The Chief

Guillen with the sacrifice to score Nicky J. :)

Washington 1
New York 1

Offline nats2playoffs

Nick-at-Night should be leading off, instead of Soriano.  Higher OBP.  
I can't tell you how strange it is to see the NEW YORK YANKEES playing against players in red Curly W hats.  Frank Howard WUSSED OUT by not making the pitch from the mound.  That's what chain-smoking and beer does.  I have his autograph - really nice guy!

Offline PC

This team just can't get that third out without giving up something.  :x

Offline The Chief

Giambi knocks one in.

Washington 1
New York 2

Offline nats2playoffs

With the faster Juan Pierre from the Cubs playing for us in CF, Jeter's fly ball would have been caught, and the inning would be over.  Instead, they score and we're still going.  We need speed in this big park, and Pierce has 24 SBs and perfect fielding last I checked.  Byrd has 3 SB and can't hit.

BUT HILL CAN HIT!!

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Quote from: "nats2playoffs"
Despite Washington's history with the Yankees, Nationals manager Frank Robinson isn't placing any added importance on this series. ''Why would it be a big deal to manage against the Yankees?'' he said.
We have a 71-year-old manager with ZERO sense of history, and an Orioles' arrogant disregard for the prior existence of baseball in Washington.  I was a regular defender of Frank last year, until he gave away the playoffs on a platter, by running spring training in Sept 2005.  I will be happy to see him go and don't want him to finish the season.  Let him be reassigned now, just like he did to the bullpen coach.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Its not that important. What happened in the past happened in the past. Why try adn make it anymore significant than what it really is.

It is what it is.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Homerun Sori!!!!!!!!!

Offline PC

#24 for Alfonso Soriano

Izarkrane

Boom! Boom!

Offline PC

I guess this means we'll make Baseball Tonight tonight.  We're playing the Yankees and Soriano hits a homerun.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
walking the pitcher?!?!?

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "metssuck"
[Its not that important. What happened in the past happened in the past. Why try adn make it anymore significant than what it really is. It is what it is.

Baseball history is what makes it baseball.  There are fans at this game who were at that Yankees game 35 years ago.  Someone Frank's age ought to think, "I'm gonna win this for THOSE fans."  But he couldn't care less - he's just here for a paycheck, and to maintain his career .478 W-L record.  Frank is just like Steve Spurrier considering the Dallas Cowboys game to be just another game, where losing it was nothing to him.
Even the Yankees were sorry to see baseball leave Washington in 1971.  They served up a fat pitch for Frank Howard to hit out for one last homer.  Frank thanked Thurman Munson, their catcher, for the nice gesture.  That was damned decent of those guys.

Offline PC

HBP, brings in a run.

Offline The Chief

Washington 3
New York 3

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Oh boy. I guess he's excused for the butterflys in his stomach since he's a young guy, but this is jsut really unlike Hill based off the few starts he given us.

Offline The Chief

Keep in mind the New York Yankees have the highest RBI total in baseball, and the second highest run total.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Look at that bunt!!!!!!!!!! Damian Jackson take notes

Offline The Chief

Ryan Zimmerman advances Nick Johnson to third, and is safe on the bunt!!! :D

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Nobody say anything when Guillen comes on.

Offline The Chief

Nobody say anything when Vidro comes on.

Nobody say anything when Guillen comes on.

What are you talking about dude?  We're at the bottom of the order! :lol: