Author Topic: NY Times: Yankees slash price of top tickets  (Read 2848 times)

Offline 1995hoo

NY Times: Yankees slash price of top tickets
« Topic Start: April 29, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
The $2,500-a-game ducats will now cost $1,250. Perhaps the Nationals need to learn from the Yankees' decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/sports/baseball/29tickets.html?ref=sports

Offline hammondsnats

Re: NY Times: Yankees slash price of top tickets
« Reply #1: April 29, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »
The $2,500-a-game ducats will now cost $1,250. Perhaps the Nationals need to learn from the Yankees' decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/sports/baseball/29tickets.html?ref=sports

no way not with cheap bastards lerners running the team.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: April 29, 2009, 03:23:16 AM »
Wait a second.  We've had a few ticket price reductions as well as all kinds of packages.  I don't think ANY of the President's Club tickets costed over a thousand dollars each!  I didn't read the article but the Yanks had to do something!  Those seats behind home plate were practically empty!

Here's what you can do instead of buying Yankee tickets:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/sports/baseball/12cheer.html?fta=y

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: April 29, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »
Who cares about the Yankees?

« Reply #4: April 29, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
All I needed to do was read "Yankees" in the thread title and I knew it would be something stupid.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #5: April 29, 2009, 11:49:23 AM »
Who cares about the Yankees?
I generally agree, but at least they're trying something to fill their too-expensive seats. If you read the article you'll notice they're voicing some of the exact same concerns people have raised with respect to the Nationals' most expensive seats (empty seats, looks bad on TV, etc.). That's the part I found interesting: They're trying to do something about it, whereas the Nationals just shrug it off.

« Reply #6: April 29, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
How much are the expensive seats at Nats Park, the similar ones in question?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #7: April 29, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
How much are the expensive seats at Nats Park, the similar ones in question?

I believe around $335. Yes, that's a substantial difference in price, but isn't the problem precisely the same regardless of the amount of money? (Let's be realistic, the pay scales in New York tend to be considerably higher than elsewhere around the country. Of course the cost of living is higher too. But New York is the place where the law firms were paying first-year associates 100% bonuses a few years back....that is, $180,000 salary followed by a $180,000 bonus! Never mind that they worked them so hard that if the associate were married and wanted to have a kid he'd have to have his wife artificially inseminated because he'd never get to see her due to the sweatshop environment...)

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: April 29, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
I believe around $335. Yes, that's a substantial difference in price, but isn't the problem precisely the same regardless of the amount of money? (Let's be realistic, the pay scales in New York tend to be considerably higher than elsewhere around the country. Of course the cost of living is higher too. But New York is the place where the law firms were paying first-year associates 100% bonuses a few years back....that is, $180,000 salary followed by a $180,000 bonus! Never mind that they worked them so hard that if the associate were married and wanted to have a kid he'd have to have his wife artificially inseminated because he'd never get to see her due to the sweatshop environment...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even seats at half price ($1,250) comes out to over $100,000 per seat per year. You ain't getting those if you only make a measly $360,000 a year.

« Reply #9: April 29, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »

And how much are you really thinking these seats should be in primo territory with access to the Club and what not? Please don't say $90 a ticket because then you would have gone bonkers.

What would you (or anyone who wants to chime in) pay for those seats? What is fair in your minds?

Offline blue911

« Reply #10: April 29, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
And how much are you really thinking these seats should be in primo territory with access to the Club and what not? Please don't say $90 a ticket because then you would have gone bonkers.

What would you (or anyone who wants to chime in) pay for those seats? What is fair in your minds?

Nats home $1. Nats away $1,000.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #11: April 29, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even seats at half price ($1,250) comes out to over $100,000 per seat per year. You ain't getting those if you only make a measly $360,000 a year.

I didn't intend to imply that someone making $360K would get those. Rather, my point was to illustrate the vast difference in financial issues in New York versus elsewhere. The dollar figures I noted are for a first-year associate up there, i.e., someone just out of school. Take that eight years down the road with the normal $25,000 to $30,000 a year pay raises they get up there, then figure what the partners are making, and recognize that the in-house and financial sector types make (err....made, I suppose, with the current economy) even more. A major difference in the DC market is the huge government presence here, for as we all know the government pay scale is often a bit lower than you can get in the private sector (although the medical insurance and such is often better than the private sector offers).

But you know what, the hell with this. If you don't think the Nationals look stupid having all those empty seats right behind home plate, I guess that's your prerogative. It seems clear to me that the market in DC views those seats as overpriced and it seems to me that the team needs to pull their head out of their arse and do something about it, but for whatever reason they're unwilling to do so. I'm not sure what the correct amount should be. I believe the "PNC Diamond Club" seats are currently $170 a pop, correct? And those aren't usually full either? Perhaps make those seats $135 each and the "Presidential Seats" $200 each and see if it improves things.

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: April 29, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »
I didn't intend to imply that someone making $360K would get those. Rather, my point was to illustrate the vast difference in financial issues in New York versus elsewhere. The dollar figures I noted are for a first-year associate up there, i.e., someone just out of school. Take that eight years down the road with the normal $25,000 to $30,000 a year pay raises they get up there, then figure what the partners are making, and recognize that the in-house and financial sector types make (err....made, I suppose, with the current economy) even more. A major difference in the DC market is the huge government presence here, for as we all know the government pay scale is often a bit lower than you can get in the private sector (although the medical insurance and such is often better than the private sector offers).

But you know what, the hell with this. If you don't think the Nationals look stupid having all those empty seats right behind home plate, I guess that's your prerogative. It seems clear to me that the market in DC views those seats as overpriced and it seems to me that the team needs to pull their head out of their arse and do something about it, but for whatever reason they're unwilling to do so. I'm not sure what the correct amount should be. I believe the "PNC Diamond Club" seats are currently $170 a pop, correct? And those aren't usually full either? Perhaps make those seats $135 each and the "Presidential Seats" $200 each and see if it improves things.

I think anything above $50 is nuts. It seems like 25% of the people sitting in those seats are on their phones the whole game.