Author Topic: Brandon Watson  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Vladman1327

Brandon Watson
« Topic Start: July 26, 2005, 06:06:28 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Brandon Watson has a lot of potential and he's still only 23. Potential leadoff hitter, the kid gets on base, has some pretty good speed. I wonder really what his chances are of becoming one of the Nats outfielders. He may end up being traded so we can get someone to fill the active roster now.

The Nats/Expos haven't had a good leadoff hitter in forever.  Wilky was good last year, but he's not a leadoff hitter type.  He's more of a 5 or 6 slot hitter.  It's a shame Endy couldn't get on base, because he was a great fielder and had good speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last good leadoff hitter we had is Mark Grudzielanek, and he's doing pretty well in St. Louis.  Peter Bergeron was horrendous, and I don't remember who was leadoff before him.

I almost forgot to mention the purpose of this post.  I agree with you that Watson would be a great leadoff guy.  I wouldn't like to see him traded, because I like having homegrown players.

In my opinion, I think we should trade Preston Wilson to a team in need of a center fielder, the Yankees, possibly.  As it stands now, when Johnson is back in the lineup, Church will be snubbed out of playing time.  I think Church should win the NL Rookie of the Year award.  He's doing so well, and I think it's unfair to take away his playing time.

That being said, if we do trade Wilson, I'd really like to see a short stop in return, because Guzman is absolutely horrible and does not deserve a spot on the team.  I'd love to see Barry Larkin come back to play, but let's face it.  He's old and hasn't played in a half a year.  It'll be hard for him to come back.  Maybe I'm getting over my head a little bit here, but what if we got Robinson Cano in return?  The Yankees probably wouldn't do that trade, but if they did, we could put Cano at short stop?  I don't know anything about him, except that he's a good hitter.  And that's what we need, good hitters.  Nothing against Wilson, but I don't think we need another Wilkerson.  He's hitting .260 with a crap load of strikeouts and a bunch of homeruns.  I'd really like a contact guy who gets on base for Johnson, Wilky, Guillen, and Vidro to drive him in.