Author Topic: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 1  (Read 26411 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 1
« Reply #775: April 17, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »
A knee-jerk mid-season firing of the manager would help nothing.

« Reply #776: April 17, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »
A knee-jerk mid-season firing of the manager would help nothing.

But an early season one might. :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #777: April 17, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »
Guzman to the DL. Cintron re-called.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #778: April 18, 2009, 12:42:30 AM »
With the loss, the Nationals have dropped four straight games to the Marlins this season and five in a row dating back to last year.

Florida, winners of five straight, is off to the best start in franchise history at 9-1. they have won 20 of the last 23 against the Nationals.

freak you fish

Right-handed reliever Saul Rivera, who gave up the winning run in the tenth, thought he had gotten out of the inning with a runner on first and two out.

Rivera threw a 2-2 cutter to Dan Uggla that he thought got the outside corner. He didn't get the call and Uggla singled on the next pitch to keep the inning alive.

Jeremy Hermida came up next and singled to drive in the winning run. After the game, I asked Rivera if he thought the umpire missed the call.

"Big time, yeah," he said. "I thought I had him but he said ball so what can I do. It's part of the game."
and freak you too Saul

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #779: April 18, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »
Looks like I should be glad I went to a concert instead of watching the game?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #780: April 18, 2009, 02:20:17 AM »
joel and jesus ... don't bring anything to the table.  thanks for screwing us out of win #2.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #781: April 18, 2009, 08:25:41 AM »
and Flores looks at 3 straight strikes

That 3rd strike was right down the middle. Flores is lost.

I was out for most of the game, got back in the 9th, and saw Riggleman walking out to the mound and the camera focused on him in the dugout while he assumed a managerial pose. My heart skipped thinking that I had missed Manny's firing. Maybe today.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline blue911

« Reply #782: April 18, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »

Flores would have benefited from a full year in AAA. Like many young hitters rushed to the majors, he's a guess hitter and not a zone hitter. Reference: Zimmerman,Francouer even Andruw Jones suffers from being brought up too soon. It takes a special talent to be ready to hit at a major league level without 500 or so games in the minors.

« Reply #783: April 18, 2009, 08:32:53 AM »
Flores would have benefited from a full year in AAA. Like many young hitters rushed to the majors, he's a guess hitter and not a zone hitter. Reference: Zimmerman,Francouer even Andruw Jones suffers from being brought up too soon. It takes a special talent to be ready to hit at a major league level without 500 or so games in the minors.

I tend to remember this board going complete ape crap when anyone thought Flores needed a little more seasoning in the minors.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #784: April 18, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »

The price we pay (and him) for being a rule 5 pickup.  He needs a lot of extra sessions with Eckstein.  :shock:

Offline blue911

« Reply #785: April 18, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
I tend to remember this board going complete ape crap when anyone thought Flores needed a little more seasoning in the minors.

Most of the people on this board are borderline retarded at best.

Offline blue911

« Reply #786: April 18, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
The price we pay (and him) for being a rule 5 pickup.  He needs a lot of extra sessions with Eckstein.  :shock:

True but I find it hard to jump all over a guy that I know isn't really ready.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #787: April 18, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »
Even in South Florida, it is widely admitted that Uggla earned yet another hat trick:

WASHINGTON - Nationals catcher Jesus Flores started for the dugout. So did reliever Saul Rivera and a few other fielders after Dan Uggla took a 2-2 pitch on the outside corner with two out and a man on in the 10th.

Just about everyone thought it was a strike except home plate umpire Tim Timmons. Uggla dumped the next pitch into short right, setting up Jeremy Hermida for the game-winning RBI on an infield single to short Friday at Nationals Park.
"It was a good pitch," Uggla said, of the Rivera offering that would have ended the inning. "Tim said it was a ball, so it was a ball. Those pitches can go either way."
Sun-Sentinel

After an 0-2 count, Uggla has a 2/3 chance of a K and only hits .075.  The pitch calling after the 0-2 was atrocious, but that's to be expected since St. Claire has never seen him before.  Just friggin' stupid.  The pitch should have been a curve in the dirt on the LH batter box chalk line or further from the plate.  That's his out pitch and he has K'd on it about 10 times already this year.  Instead, they feed his wheelhouse.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #788: April 18, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »

This.  It's been like that since the season started. 

Baker > Flores

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #789: April 18, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
Even in South Florida, it is widely admitted that Uggla earned yet another hat trick:
Sun-Sentinel

After an 0-2 count, Uggla has a 2/3 chance of a K and only hits .075.  The pitch calling after the 0-2 was atrocious, but that's to be expected since St. Claire has never seen him before.  Just friggin' stupid.  The pitch should have been a curve in the dirt on the LH batter box chalk line or further from the plate.  That's his out pitch and he has K'd on it about 10 times already this year.  Instead, they feed his wheelhouse.

If that graph of the pitches is right, Rivera caught a bit of a break on strike 2 and the 2-2 pitch actually was outside.  Wow.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #790: April 18, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Most of the people on this board are borderline retarded at best.

:rofl: That is a good way to put it