Author Topic: Virus??  (Read 1912 times)

Offline saltydad

Virus??
« Topic Start: January 22, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
Our old buddy NoSpin has a problem. When he goes to wnff.net on his (new) computer, he gets the home index page. However, when he then makes a selection to go to one of the sections to peruse the posts, he's taken to various other sites, including a pictureso site. Needless to say, this had caused some concern! He also said he has a virus per his computer. Jim is not strongly computer savvy, so he has a computer fellow who will come around after his normal work hours for a fee. I thought, however, that maybe some of the techno mavens here might have a comment or workaround. Thanks.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Virus??
« Reply #1: January 22, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »
There are a lot of things I could suggest, but nothing that I'm confident I could walk him through.

He might try this site - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

It's a free online virus scan.  Just go to that link, click the box, and click "Launch Housecall."  If that doesn't work, it might be best to just let the tech help him out.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 22, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Our old buddy NoSpin has a problem. When he goes to wnff.net on his (new) computer, he gets the home index page. However, when he then makes a selection to go to one of the sections to peruse the posts, he's taken to various other sites, including a pictureso site. Needless to say, this had caused some concern! He also said he has a virus per his computer. Jim is not strongly computer savvy, so he has a computer fellow who will come around after his normal work hours for a fee. I thought, however, that maybe some of the techno mavens here might have a comment or workaround. Thanks.

What virus scan does he have? If he has norton, it should tell him which virus he has. If so you can look it up http://www.symantec.com/norton/security_response/threatexplorer/azlisting.jsp and find removal instructions. I assume other AV products have the same or similiar setups. Installing and running Adaware or some other similiar program may help if his computer is just loaded with spyware. Its available at download.com Also, I would try installing Firefox or Opera.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #3: January 22, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
While I recognize that Firefox is not virus-proof, I switched from IE a while ago and am happy I did. Also it seems his anti virus software should be configured to automatically remove or quarantine any virus found, so there wouldn't be a recurrence.Talking him through this isn't really an option, so I guess I'll have to take Chief's advice and await his geek's house call. Thanks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: January 22, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »
However, when he then makes a selection to go to one of the sections to peruse the posts, he's taken to various other sites, including a pictureso site.

Did it have lots of pictures of scantily attired women, including tennis players?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #5: January 22, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
Did it have lots of pictures of scantily attired women, including tennis players?

Did he click on the Beatiful Women thread?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: January 22, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »

One might be briefly confused to land there unexpectedly.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #7: January 22, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »
One might be briefly confused to land there unexpectedly.

:rofl: :rofl: :worship: :worship:

I'll have to ask.

« Reply #8: January 23, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
He makes it sound like free picturesography popping up on his screen is a bad thing...