Author Topic: Baseball America's 2009 Mock Draft.  (Read 5764 times)

MrMadison

Baseball America's 2009 Mock Draft.
« Topic Start: December 19, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
has us taking Strasburg #1 and Missouri pitcher Kyle Gibson #10.

any BA susbscribers wanna post the details for us?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/column/2008/266975.html

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Baseball America's 2009 Mock Draft.
« Reply #1: December 19, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »

NO!!! not two damn pitchers. Draft atleast one college hitter who actually may make it to the majors with out blowing out their arm. I'm a broken record, but no pitcher taken number 1 overall has worked out yet.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: December 19, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »
Didn't they say something similar about visiting teams playing in Green Bay in the playoffs?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: December 19, 2008, 11:07:25 AM »
Didn't they say something similar about visiting teams playing in Green Bay in the playoffs?

Your right especially with our track record of developing pitchers and turning them in to major leaguers. Lets see we have Lannan and . . .

Offline spidernat

« Reply #4: December 19, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »
No you're right since we have been around for over 40 years and our record is dismal in that regard.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: December 19, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »
No you're right since we have been around for over 40 years and our record is dismal in that regard.

The draft has been around a while, show me 1 pitcher taken number 1 over all who had even a good career

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: December 19, 2008, 11:18:20 AM »
I believe you said our track record. Of course I thought you meant the Nats when you obviously meant MLB.   :?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: December 19, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
I believe you said our track record. Of course I thought you meant the Nats when you obviously meant MLB.   :?

I did, we haven't developed many pitchers, but there has also never been a number 1 overall pitcher who has been worth it

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: December 19, 2008, 11:30:41 AM »
I already conceded that you're right. No pitcher ever taken 1st overall has been worth it and because of that no pitcher ever drafted 1 overall will ever be worth it for the remaining history of baseball. Of course I'm sure if you take the same pitcher in the second slot it will make all the difference in the world.  :rofl:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: December 19, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
Pitchers are just not as projectable as hitters, I'm fine with taking 1, but why take a bigger gamble than you have to with  both picks than you have to?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: December 19, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
No way we draft Aaron Crow's teammate Gibson.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #11: December 19, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »

It's Never Too Early . . .
Our first 2009 mock draft
By Jim Callis
October 9, 2008

CHICAGO—The American League Central, National League East and NL wild card weren't the only races that went down to the wire.

The Nationals faced a lot of adversity all season, and they had to succumb to even more on the final day of the season. Luke Montz hit the first homer of his big league career, and Kory Casto doubled in one run and scored another to give Washington a 3-1 lead over a Phillies club resting its regulars.

But then Casto couldn't hold onto a throw at first base and the Nationals bullpen provided its usual less-than-stellar work, enabling Philadelphia to cruise to an 8-3 victory. The Nationals' 102nd loss of the season allowed them to clinch the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft over the Mariners.

The vast majority of baseball fans may be getting geeked up over the playoffs, but at Baseball America, we always keep one eye on the draft, even if it's eight months away. A lot can change between now and June, but that can't deter us from offering our first mock 2009 draft:

1. Nationals: Stephen Strasburg, rhp, San Diego State. Strasburg stands head and shoulders above the rest of the draft class, much as David Price did in 2006. Strasburg's resume includes a mid-90s fastball, a hard breaking ball, command, a 23-strikeout game against Utah and an Olympic bronze medal (he was the only collegian on Team USA). The only question is whether the Nationals will ante up for a Scott Boras Corp. client who may seek an eight-figure major league contract. It says here that talent will triumph over money.

2. Mariners: Grant Green, ss, Southern California. If the Mariners hadn't swept the Athletics on the last weekend—their first series win in three weeks—they would have beaten out the Nationals for the No. 1 pick. Green, who's a cross of the best attributes of Evan Longoria and Troy Tulowitzki, makes for a nice consolation prize. He and fellow Trojan Jeff Clement could form the core of Seattle's future lineup.

3. Padres: Dustin Ackley, of, North Carolina. Ackley perfectly fits the Padres' profile of a polished college performer. The best pure hitter in the draft, he should be athletic enough to move from first base to center field next spring, allowing him to fill San Diego's biggest need.

To steal a phrase from BA columnist Jerry Crasnick, the 2009 draft is shaping up as the Scott Boras Olympics. Boras advises Strasburg, the top three college position players (Green, Ackley and Tennessee outfielder Kentrail Davis) , the best prep position player (Donavan Tate) and the best high school righthander (Jacob Turner of St. Charles, Mo.), among others.

4. Pirates: Alex White, rhp, North Carolina. After tangling with Boras over Pedro Alvarez this summer, the Pirates could go down that road again if one of the first three clubs balks at Boras' sticker price. If not, they'll opt for White's lively fastball/slider combo and ignore their track record with first-round pitchers. Six of the eight they've selected in the last decade have needed major surgery, and have a combined 38-59 record in the big leagues.

5. Orioles: Tyler Matzek, lhp, HS/Mission Viejo, Calif. The Orioles landed the best pitcher in the 2008 draft (Brian Matusz) and they could grab the top prep pitcher in 2009, giving them a pair of frontline lefthanders. Matzek's fastball and curve have become legitimate plus pitches since he cleaned up his mechanics.

6. Giants: Donavan Tate, of, HS/Cartersville, Ga. The son of former NFL running back Lars Tate, he not surprisingly is the best athlete in next year's draft. Tate is a five-tool player who's more advanced than most two-sport stars—he's a highly-sought football recruit—and has Carlos Beltran potential if he sticks with baseball.

7. Braves: Matt Purke, lhp, HS/Spring, Texas. By virtue of losing a tiebreaker to the Giants, the Braves may not get the chance to snap up a coveted homestate product in Tate. They do have a greater need for pitching, and Purke could pass Matzek as the cream of the high school pitching crop. The two lefthanders have similar stuff.

8. Reds: Aaron Crow, rhp, Fort Worth Cats (American Association). The No. 2 pitcher in the 2008 draft, Crow went ninth overall but couldn't come to terms with the Nationals, whose final offer was $3.5 million. He'll probably wind up with more money after heading to independent ball and showcasing a fastball that's notable for its velocity, life and command. His slider can be nasty as well. The Reds considered him with the seventh overall choice in June before opting for Yonder Alonso.

9. Tigers: Kendall Volz, rhp, Baylor. The Tigers used their first-round picks on power arms in 2004 (Justin Verlander), 2006 (Andrew Miller), 2007 (Rick Porcello) and 2008 (Ryan Perry), and Volz would fit right in with them. He already works at 92-94 mph with the room to add more velocity, and his hard slider can overpower hitters as well.

10. Nationals: Kyle Gibson, rhp, Missouri. The Nationals failed to sign one Missouri pitcher last year and could take another with the compensation pick they received for Crow. Gibson doesn't have Crow's fastball, but he's polished, projectable and has a pair of solid secondary pitches in his slider and changeup/
Baseball America

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: December 19, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »
The draft has been around a while, show me 1 pitcher taken number 1 over all who had even a good career

Good is subjective but I'd say Andy Benes and Floyd Bannister had good careers.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: December 19, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
I already conceded that you're right. No pitcher ever taken 1st overall has been worth it and because of that no pitcher ever drafted 1 overall will ever be worth it for the remaining history of baseball. Of course I'm sure if you take the same pitcher in the second slot it will make all the difference in the world.  :rofl:
:rofl: He'll say the same thing until he turns blue in the face.  Just ignore it because his opinion means nothing in terms of what the Nats will do.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #14: December 19, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »
I did, we haven't developed many pitchers, but there has also never been a number 1 overall pitcher who has been worth it
Fun factoid: former #1 pick Kris Benson was college teammates with Matt LeCroy.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: December 19, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »

You have every pitcher available to you, pick of the litter.  It's all about picking wisely.  And it's true that pitchers tend to wash out at a greater rate, but all the more reason to draft numbers as well as quality.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: December 19, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
You have every pitcher available to you, pick of the litter.  It's all about picking wisely.  And it's true that pitchers tend to wash out at a greater rate, but all the more reason to draft numbers as well as quality.

I would say all the more reason to draft a projectable bat

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: December 19, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »
I would say all the more reason to draft a projectable bat

I would say draft the best player available, and as of now the consensus seems to be Strasburg.  You can't hit a home run if you don't swing.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #18: December 19, 2008, 04:00:40 PM »
I don't believe in this curse of the number one picked pitcher. Take Strasburg, he has stuff better than David Price, and he's looking all right to me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: December 19, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
I don't believe in this curse of the number one picked pitcher.

It's all BS.  Maybe you can pretend like you're going to take player B, then at the last second draft player A, and the #1 draft pick curse gods will be fooled into cursing player B by mistake.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #20: December 19, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »
It's all BS.  Maybe you can pretend like you're going to take player B, then at the last second draft player A, and the #1 draft pick curse gods will be fooled into cursing player B by mistake.
"An Appointment in Samarra," by W. Somerset Maugham.

There is a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to buy provisions from the market and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the market-place I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me.

She looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city to avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me.

The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market-place and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?

That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #21: December 20, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »
Also, a couple of times the pitcher was picked for signability (Kris Benson) and once it was tragic (Brien Taylor).

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #22: December 21, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
Let's face it, guys, the major factor when signing a pitcher at the #1 spot is how good the pitcher is, and if Strasburg can be as good or better this year than he was last year, the guy is freaking amazing.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: December 22, 2008, 11:50:54 PM »
"An Appointment in Samarra," by W. Somerset Maugham.

There is a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to buy provisions from the market and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the market-place I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me.

She looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city to avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me.

The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market-place and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?

That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.

*Chris answers the phone*

Chris: "Dad, it's mom!"

Peter: "Please be Somerset Maugham. Please be Somerset Maugham."

I've only read "Of Human Bondage", but it was great.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #24: December 23, 2008, 11:51:47 AM »
strasburg + teixeira = world series