Author Topic: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 2  (Read 26177 times)

Offline ZimmsGirl72

Re: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 2
« Reply #75: September 25, 2008, 12:19:37 AM »
Bernadina's catch was spectacular -- glad to hear he got credit for it on SC.  Don't have much good to say about Speigner, but he made a pretty great play too, especially for a pitcher!  It wasn't pretty, but he got the guy out.

And no, I wasn't kidding about the outfielders -- they really were fielding grounders when Bergie was warming up.  It was pretty funny.  My season ticket seats are out there, so I've had a pretty good view of what they do, and I've never seen them do that before! 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #76: September 25, 2008, 01:55:07 AM »

And no, I wasn't kidding about the outfielders -- they really were fielding grounders when Bergie was warming up.  It was pretty funny.  My season ticket seats are out there, so I've had a pretty good view of what they do, and I've never seen them do that before! 

I hope "you know who" reads that when she's here lurking.  :rofl:

Dumb ass Phil Wood said that Bernadina is at best a #4 outfielder. Ridiculous. Can't stand Wood.

I can't say I disagree with him at this time in his career.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #77: September 25, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »
Dumb ass Phil Wood said that Bernadina is at best a #4 outfielder. Ridiculous. Can't stand Wood.

I wouldn't say he's a fourth outfielder "at best," but I do think that's what he'll (eventually) end up being next season for us. If we move Milledge to left and Dukes to center, would you really want us to put Bernadina in right instead of getting a free agent or trading for someone? Bernadina might actually start off as our 5th or 6th outfielder if we still have Kearns and Willie next season.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #78: September 25, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »
Anyone got a video of Bernadina's catch?  There's practically nothing on nationals.com :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #79: September 25, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
Anyone got a video of Bernadina's catch?  There's practically nothing on nationals.com :?

It's in the "Video Corner" on the nationals.com homepage. (top right)

Not even close to as great of a catch as Willie's earlier this season, IMO.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #80: September 25, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »
It's in the "Video Corner" on the nationals.com homepage. (top right)

Not even close to as great of a catch as Willie's earlier this season, IMO.

I actually think Willie's catch a few games back outdoes both.  It was similar to Bernadina's...  over the shoulder running back, only he also turned the other way at the last second.  I think it was against Wright.  That's got to be insanely difficult.  The sliding catch against the Mets earlier in the season was great too, but pretty straightforward by comparison, just a matter of getting there and sacrificing your body.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #81: September 25, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
I actually think Willie's catch a few games back outdoes both.  It was similar to Bernadina's...  over the shoulder running back, only he also turned the other way at the last second.  I think it was against Wright.  That's got to be insanely difficult.  The sliding catch against the Mets earlier in the season was great too, but pretty straightforward by comparison, just a matter of getting there and sacrificing your body.

That over the shoulder catch was awesome, but that could have had something to do w/ him misjudging it. I've always been a bigger fan of all-out catches.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #82: September 25, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »

To do a fair comparison, I think one has to measure the length of the skid marks, as a proxy for comparing launch speed.  Harris' first catch, I bet he slid 12 feet or more.  A typical replacement level outfielder might only be able to put up a 6 foot skid mark, and if Willie's getting 12, he would have a VORS of +6, which may put him in the top echelon.  Or, VORS could be expressed as a ratio to replacement level, in which case he'd be 2.0, compared to Bernadina's catch last night, which I estimate at about 1.42.  Nice, but not top tier.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #83: September 25, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »
To do a fair comparison, I think one has to measure the length of the skid marks, as a proxy for comparing launch speed.  Harris' first catch, I bet he slid 12 feet or more.  A typical replacement level outfielder might only be able to put up a 6 foot skid mark, and if Willie's getting 12, he would have a VORS of +6, which may put him in the top echelon.  Or, VORS could be expressed as a ratio to replacement level, in which case he'd be 2.0, compared to Bernadina's catch last night, which I estimate at about 1.42.  Nice, but not top tier.

Offline blue911

« Reply #84: September 25, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »

I'm a liberal as the next guy but examining other men's skid marks is beyond the pale.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #85: September 25, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
I'm a liberal as the next guy but examining other men's skid marks is beyond the pale.

Fark Obama... "universal" communist