Author Topic: Log in for Game Day threads?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Topic Start: September 17, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
Now we have to log in for Game Day threads?  I suspect that some of the Nationals' players may read those threads as Guests, possibly while the game is rebroadcast late at night.  Do you want to exclude THEM?  (I'm guessing that Zimmerman may be a reader; he's said that he stays up very late.)  We've had a number of new members say that they were long-time lurkers before registering.  Once you lose the lurkers, you'll then lose potential new members.  I've seen guest counts of 82 after games are done.  They outnumber people actually posting.

The volume of activity on the Game Day threads distinguish this board from all other National boards, including the official MLB board.  Making Game Day threads inaccessible may result in a much more active and accessible one being created elsewhere.  Despite low television ratings (and radio broadcasts now dropping the FM station entirely after today), there seems to be a lot more viewings of threads on the MLB board than in the past.  (It could be Mets and Phillies fans lately, due to the division race.)

I don't know that there's a lot of personal information disclosed in the Off Topic section.  Users are not even using their real names.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Log in for Game Day threads?
« Reply #1: September 17, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
I could swear we've had this discussion before.

I'll re-open gameday threads to guests but there's no reason for off-topic to be publicly accessible.  Not sure why players would want to read gameday threads anyway.  Last I heard they were "just a bunch of guys insulting each other."

:|

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: September 17, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »
I'm with you. Guests should be allowed to view the Gamethreads. That's a huge part of the draw.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #3: September 17, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
I'm with you. Guests should be allowed to view the Gamethreads. That's a huge part of the draw.

You're late ;)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #4: September 17, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »
...Not sure why players would want to read gameday threads anyway.  Last I heard they were "just a bunch of guys insulting each other.":|

It IS a bunch of guys insulting each other. 

Zimmerman is probably helping the Dominicans improve their reading comprehension with the GameDay threads:
"You're asking me 'What is an "IDIOT" or a S***head?
That's someone who is not getting any help from Jobu...
Have you thought about sacrificing a chicken in the clubhouse before games?
Cleveland won a pennant that way once.  You're asking 'What's a pennant?...'"

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: September 17, 2008, 04:22:50 PM »
It IS a bunch of guys insulting each other. 

No, it's typically one guy insulting most of the teams players.  I rarely see anyone else in the threads insulting anyone (except the opposing team :lol:), much less each other.